IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Some things need to be fleshed out, I think.
Some in the press have attempted to go after Bush for many, many things.

Some examples:
1) His TANG service.
2) His "youthful indiscretions".
3) His tax cuts that "overwhelmingly benefited the rich".
4) His "faith-based initiative".
5) "No Child Left Behind".
6) "The jobless recovery".
7) Not being upfront about the cost of the Medicare Drug Benefit.
8) "Lying about Iraq".
9) Politicizing Teri Shiavo.
10) Politicizing stem cell research.
12) His Social Security "reform/privatization/destruction" plans.
13) Not meeting Sheehan.
14) Trade and budget deficits exploding.
15) "Destruction of the middle class and ignoring the poor to enrich the wealthy."
16) No coherent energy policy.
17) No sensible environmental policy.
18) Outing Valerie Plame.

And so forth. All of that was before the New Orleans fiasco which seemed to bring out the indignation in many of the TV news people. (I wonder how long that will last.) And those are all "mainstream" stories - not stuff only covered by Democracy Now or MoveOn.org.

The press isn't as monolithic as it was in 1968 when Cronkite could criticize the Vietnam War and have a big impact (but, IIRC, most people supported the war even after Tet).

My feeling is that most of the press is too focused on the latest scandal. They worry too much about polls and popularity. Even the big papers will only cover a story for a week or so before moving on to something else. It's impossible for me to imagine the weeks and months of coverage that Watergate got in the Post repeating these days. :-(

So you and Bill are both right. The press has been after Bush, and the press has let things slide with his administration too much. It depends on which part of the press you pay attention to and how much work you're willing to do to keep up with the story.

So, where you stand depends on where you sit.

IMHO.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The press has been after Bush sorta like
a Chihuahua goes after an intruder...lots of nipping and yipping, while a good strong kick sends it ass-over-teakettle.

Now that the Chihuahua has been replaced with a Doberman...
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Too early to tell.
We've been here before.

The press gets wind of something.
They call the President on it.
The President spins it.
The press goes back to sleep.

Right now we're in the 'spin' stage - we'll see if this sticks.
When somebody asks you to trade your security for freedom, it isn't your freedom they're talking about.
     Facts and Rumors about the New Orleans response. - (Another Scott) - (58)
         The whitewash is unravelling. - (Simon_Jester) - (52)
             I'd forgotten that haircut - (Ashton) - (51)
                 Monica redux quip / Jon Stewart (new thread) - (Ashton)
                 Are you out of your mind? - (bepatient) - (49)
                     Quite a bit more mean spirited? - (hnick) - (35)
                         Interesting viewpoint - (bepatient) - (34)
                             Umm.. your point here eludes me. - (hnick) - (33)
                                 Single example - (bepatient) - (29)
                                     So to cut to the quick: - (jb4) - (6)
                                         Not so fast fella - (bepatient) - (5)
                                             re: kneejerk reaction emoticon - (jb4) - (1)
                                                 Hmm - (bepatient)
                                             Wait a minute... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                 Joe Scarborough -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                 Actually - (bepatient)
                                     Ok... - (hnick) - (11)
                                         your idea of a free ride - (boxley) - (7)
                                             That made as much sense as usual :) -NT - (hnick) - (2)
                                                 with you it all depends on who is riding :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Nah... don't like any of them -NT - (hnick)
                                             Oh - you mean like this ride? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                 wouldnt need to be rescued - (boxley)
                                                 I hope this is as accurate as most worldnutdaily stuff. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                 Ged? So mom & dad were LeGuin (Wizard of Earthsea) fans, eh? -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         Re: Ok... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                             Was thinking more of the Cleveland Plain Dealer - (hnick) - (1)
                                                 Re: Was thinking more of the Cleveland Plain Dealer - (bepatient)
                                     NAACP is not the press - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                         why was hurricane relief by fema in florida so good? - (boxley) - (7)
                                             Simple... - (hnick) - (4)
                                                 so brown must be vanal rather than unqualified, - (boxley) - (2)
                                                     Who says that has to be an exclusive OR? - (jb4)
                                                     Just poor humor. I should have used the sign. - (hnick)
                                                 Why not try - (bepatient)
                                             You mean last year or eight years ago? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                 Last year was all about the election. -NT - (admin)
                                     That reminds me of something I saw many years ago - (jake123)
                                 Some things need to be fleshed out, I think. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     The press has been after Bush sorta like - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Too early to tell. - (inthane-chan)
                     Bush has had a free ride in at least one way - (ben_tilly)
                     Are you? - (Ashton) - (11)
                         Read a paper - (bepatient) - (10)
                             This too - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 ICLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                             Hey Mr. Stat- Man, play a Red Herring for me, for it's... - (Ashton) - (7)
                                 Well then - (bepatient) - (6)
                                     Toss ya a bone and you - (Ashton) - (5)
                                         *whack* - (bepatient) - (4)
                                             Well if ya buy 'Left'/Right' you'll love 'media' I guess -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                 I tend to agree with Peter - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     No no-it's "FAR righter" and "even MORE EXTREME right-wing". -NT - (CRConrad)
                                             Re: *whack* re Talk Radio - (Ashton)
         word is getting out - (cforde) - (4)
             I get a 404 error on the link -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 It points here. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     this is beinbg reported this morning on Fox News - (boxley)
                 apparently, some don't like their politics - (cforde)

Well as long as I don't breathe, there's always a chance that I won't need oxygen.
141 ms