IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Install a web server?
How hard would it be to get a web server running on user machines? Get a cut-down Apache, have it listen on some unlikely port on the system, then use your normal server-side code. The only concern then becomes merging/locking, but there is no duplicate code there...
New Roll your own server?
There are some really stripped down http servers written in Java that might be able to do the trick. Don't know if I want to install much that has a significant footprint. Then again, I don't enjoy the prospect of supporting my own web server either. Will have to look into how big a chore it is to get a minimal webserver that can handle form generation and submissions.
New Not hard, but it has some issues
mainly management usually doesn't like users running a server. We tried this out at the federal contracting job I had, and someone sqwuaked about my workstation having a web server running on it. So I took it off. But I was testing the workload and the transaction database on it.

Plus with Windows 9X/ME security is so laxed that the user can modify the files on the web server. Imagine a script getting loaded in Frontpage and getting messed up.

Or imagine you put Apache on the user's workstation and somehow they install PWS, or Oracle with the Web Services and it over-rides your Apache server? Or what if they uninstall it? Or what if they install some software that clobbers the files used for your web server?

Just some issues to think about.

"Before Christmas it is 'Ho ho ho', after Christmas it is 'Owe owe owe'" - Santa Norm
     Trolling for ideas... - (ChrisR) - (11)
         Only thing I can think of - (nking) - (2)
             Fat clients - (ChrisR)
             We did something like that - (nking)
         Is it a simple data structure? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
             A tree of sorts - (ChrisR)
             We do pretty much the same thing - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                 OUCH!!!! -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 Done that too, in PL/SQL. Only, IIUC it was... - (CRConrad)
         Install a web server? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
             Roll your own server? - (ChrisR)
             Not hard, but it has some issues - (nking)

Thine is a mere venal sin which may be atoned: dast not move it very far or very often, or Ever! -- to the 7-11 for a Big G{ulp..} and a Lottery ticket. This be thy penance.
45 ms