Now these durians were "previously frozen" 'cause those were U.S. $0.99/# and fresh are U.S. $3.95/# due to air freight (and weren't available at the time anyway). This may affect texture though probably not so much flavor.

[image|http://www.aaxnet.com/ajg/mw_durian02.jpg||||]

My opinion: If you sample durian ("the fruit that tastes like heaven and smells like hell") and wish to truely appreciate it, it is essential you do not have a previous intimate familiarity with the taste and smell of SAE 90W Hypoid Gear Oil. If you do, the wonder of durian will be somewhat spoiled.

The units I purchased were not particularly strong in smell but I agree with those who say it's similar to rotting onions. The taste is very interesting (at least if you don't really mind the flavor of gear oil). The most distinctive tones are from sulphur (as are those of hypoid gear oil).

Since I've become accustomed to essence of hypoid oil in a number of food substances from the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, I didn't find durian particularly objectionable. Rose (standard script), on the other hand, requested (and consumed) a bowl of dill pickles to clear the taste from her mouth before she could return to work.

My durians have been reduced to a preserve (stir fried with sugar according to an Indonesian recipe) to be available for reference.

Eventually, when I'm in a "damned the expense" mood, I'll sample a fresh (not previously frozen) durian, but I don't expect the results to be greatly different.