IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Modifications are only made under the terms of one license

However if Bob chooses to abide by GPL v2 in his distribution and it came to him GPL v2 or later, he can choose to license the result GPL v2 or later because that license violates no copyrights and grants all of the rights to the recipient that GPL v2 requires him to grant. (Any recipient has the choice of choosing GPL v2, which grants them the necessary freedoms.)

\r\n\r\n

Um, no. Here's where you don't seem to "get it":

\r\n\r\n

If Bob does takes some action which requires him to accept and abide by the terms of the GPL, then Bob has to choose one and only one version of the GPL to accept and abide by. This is the same as any other dual- or multi-licensing scheme: you don't receive the program under all those licenses at once, but instead choose one and abide by it.

\r\n\r\n

And it is because of this that Bob's options in licensing the program to third parties will be limited; since it's the situation we've been working with previously, let's assume that Bob chooses to accept GPLv2, and that GPLv3 imposes additional restrictions on use which make it incompatible with v2. Now, Bob can modify and distribute under GPLv2 in that case, but he cannot make the "any later version" offer. That would mean offering to license under GPLv3 and since we've postulated that GPLv3 imposes additional restrictions, and since imposing additional restrictions on his licensees would violate the GPLv2 which Bob has accepted, he can't make the "any later version" offer without violating GPLv2.

\r\n\r\n

Again, the moral of this story is that a GPLv2-incompatible GPLv3 would be the mother of all headaches.

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
\r\n[link|http://www.shtuff.us/|shtuff]
New Where does the GPL v2 say that?
Where does the GPL v2 say anything that prevents you from returning patches GPL v2 or later if you received it GPL v2 or later?

You keep on making this assertion, and you're wrong. Obviously you think that you're right, so please quote, chapter and verse what in the GPL v2 forces this to be true, and explain your reasoning.

You've ignored me before when I've explained why the GPL v2 doesn't require this, but let me waste time once more explaining why. Here's the situation. Bob receives a program from Alice that is licensed GPL v2 or later. The GPL v3 has terms that are incompatible with the GPL v2. Bob makes modifications, marks them in accord with the GPL v2, and distributes this to Jane, and wants to make the modified version licensed GPL v2 or later. For the sake of simplicity, Bob is distributing this in code form, with the same licensing information attached that he received, and the program is not interactive. Does that pass muster with the GPL?

Section by section let's see.

1. He is not distributing a verbatim copy, so this section does not apply.
  2. He has modified, so he needs to meet this section's requirements.
    1. He has added the necessary notices. Check.
    2. The whole is available under the GPL v2. Check. (It is also available under the GPL v3...)
    3. It is not interactive, so this is satisfied.

3. He is not distributing in object or executable form, so this section does not apply.
  4. He is attempting to operate under this license, so this prohibition does not apply.
  5. He accepts this license, so this section is not an issue.
  6. This applies to Jane, not Bob.
  7. Let's suppose that there has not yet been a court order triggering this section.
  8. Let's assume that Alice has not triggered this section.
  9. This section explicitly says that it is OK for Jane to choose to receive the code under GPL v3 no matter how that license may differ from GPL v2. Again, not a problem.
  10. We are not trying to incorporate this into a program with different licensing, this section does not apply.
  11. WE ARE NOT TRYING TO CLAIM A WARRANTY. FINE.
  12. WE ARE NOT TRYING TO CLAIM LIABILITY. FINE.

Oops, that was the end of the terms and conditions.

We did not encounter a single problem! What Bob wants to do is OK!

Please explain why you think that the GPL requires that Bob not do what I outlined in this scenario. Be specific. Quote chapter and verse what in the GPL Bob is violating, and explain why Bob's actions violate it.

Regards,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     More good points - (imric) - (66)
         Re: More good points - (ubernostrum) - (63)
             Technical mistake - (ben_tilly) - (61)
                 I'm not so sure - (ubernostrum) - (60)
                     Nope. Talk to a lawyer. - (ben_tilly) - (59)
                         That's the thing - (ubernostrum) - (58)
                             You've missed the point, let me simplify - (ben_tilly) - (57)
                                 How do modifications/contributions work, then? - (ubernostrum) - (56)
                                     Any lawyer will tell you that that is a non-issue - (ben_tilly) - (55)
                                         Doesn't change anything - (ubernostrum) - (54)
                                             I suggest that you talk to a lawyer if you're concerned - (ben_tilly) - (53)
                                                 OK, bad wording. - (ubernostrum) - (52)
                                                     Again, you're not a lawyer. Don't try to play one. - (ben_tilly) - (51)
                                                         A question - (ubernostrum) - (50)
                                                             Answer - (ben_tilly) - (49)
                                                                 But it does - (ubernostrum) - (48)
                                                                     I granted one point, not the other - (ben_tilly) - (47)
                                                                         Let's try it again, then - (ubernostrum) - (44)
                                                                             Ahh, now I get you - (drewk) - (4)
                                                                                 Not quite - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                                                                                     I'm trying to figure out why you don't "get" this - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                         Modifications are only made under the terms of one license - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                                                                             Where does the GPL v2 say that? - (ben_tilly)
                                                                             Step 4 is wrong. - (ben_tilly) - (38)
                                                                                 Re: Step 4 is wrong. - (ubernostrum) - (37)
                                                                                     Re: Step 4 is wrong. - (altmann) - (11)
                                                                                         Half-right - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                                                             Not so sure. - (altmann) - (9)
                                                                                                 Hrm... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                                                     You can mix it, but wouldn't it all become v2 only? - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                                                         Yabut.. - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                             Depends on which came first - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Read atcroft's question again - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                 Well, my instincts don't seem bad... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                                                     Wait a minute. - (ubernostrum) - (2)
                                                                                                         Not quite. - (altmann) - (1)
                                                                                                             You got it -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                     Step 7 in your logic is wrong - (ben_tilly) - (24)
                                                                                         Re: Step 7 in your logic is wrong - (ubernostrum) - (23)
                                                                                             You are not doing that though! - (ben_tilly) - (22)
                                                                                                 Re: You are not doing that though! - (ubernostrum) - (21)
                                                                                                     BUT YOU'RE NOT IMPOSING!!! - (ben_tilly) - (19)
                                                                                                         BUT FREEDOM MUST BE FREE! - (ubernostrum) - (18)
                                                                                                             Are you actively trying to be stupid? - (ben_tilly) - (17)
                                                                                                                 This is entertaining; but weirdly hypothetical, isn't it? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Here's some clarifications on your take. - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                 Your mother was a hamster - (ubernostrum) - (8)
                                                                                                                     Interesting - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                                                                                         Ben, you ignorant slut - (ubernostrum) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Your intended point was not what you accomplished - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                                                                                                 Riddle me this - (ubernostrum) - (4)
                                                                                                                                     The riddle is trivial - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         Ah, Ben, you didn't meditate. - (ubernostrum) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             I don't know of anywhere that this has been asked - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                                             Future versions don't have to remain compatible - (drewk)
                                                                                                                 And your father smelt of elderberries - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                                                                                                                     And you have the brains of a chihuahua - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                                         See, here's the thing - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                                                                                                             That is a misunderstanding I hadn't quite anticipated - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                 Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                                                                                                     What do the other definitions say? - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                     What does this mean? - (drewk)
                                                                         Re: I granted one point, not the other - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                             No, we really are arguing different points - (ben_tilly)
             Well, the actual draft isn't available yet. - (imric)
         I don't really have a dog in this fight - (hnick) - (1)
             Actually they started as extremists -NT - (ben_tilly)

One shall be the number of Mojo Jojos in the world, and the number of Mojo Jojos in the world shall be one. Two Mojo Jojos is too many, and three is right out!
180 ms