IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not really.
They are selling you the server box with the sofware. I would definitely define that as distribution.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Nope, they are not
My understanding is that they don't distribute Asterisk on that box. Just a proprietary front end that connects to Asterisk running on their servers.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Re: Nope, they are not
[link|http://www.fonality.com/pbxtra_pricing.html|http://www.fonality....xtra_pricing.html]

PBXtra is a full-featured IP-PBX that runs on a custom server sitting in your office. The cost is $995, including the server!

That and the other marketing material on the site lead me to believe that asterisk is on the box sold.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New The source of my impression...
I know someone who they wanted to hire, and they walked him through what they did.

I'd trust that more than the marketing material.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Thats fine
But since they publish that info for mass consumption...I'd say these guys aren't "skirting" the GPL as much as simply and blatantly violating it.

But I will grant that if they are trying to skirt by this on defining themselves as a "web service" then you could either change the license or simply better define web service, which is what is being done. However, I don't think it would be necessary if someone wanted to sue them for violation of the license. Reasonable man theory and all.

New I believe that they are not actually violating the license
As long as they don't redistribute Asterisk, they don't have to return their changes under GPL v2. The explanation that I heard suggests that, appearances notwithstanding, they are not actually violating the GPL v2. They're just leaning very, very hard on the loophole.

Perhaps this example may help demonstrate to Skip why Stallman might reasonably have changed his mind on this topic.

Cheers,
Ben
New Still in wait and see mode!
This whole thing may be a non-issue. I hope so. I quit considering this; it's pointless until we can see.
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Not so pointless
Whether or not this group is violating the license (which depends on facts that I know through hearsay and cannot prove), the fact that this is possible demonstrates that there is a loophole which can be used in ways that most people who use the GPL probably wouldn't like.

Whether or not it is a good idea to try to shut down said loophole is another isssue. But the point remains that the spirit of the GPL can be abused by putting an http rpc mechanism in front of GPLed code and shipping a proprietary thin client.

Cheers,
Ben
     Made up my mind, the FSF *is* anti-business - (drewk) - (30)
         Okay Skip^H^H^H^HBrett^H^H^H^H^HDrew. - (folkert)
         Too right - (pwhysall)
         Okay, here it is - (drewk) - (27)
             Whattaya talking about? - (broomberg) - (14)
                 Hmm, trying to find a link - (drewk) - (13)
                     TIVO - (broomberg) - (12)
                         Wasn't there a camp saying they had to release everything? -NT - (drewk) - (11)
                             Big thread... - (bepatient) - (10)
                                 Classic - (altmann)
                                 That's all about price, though - (drewk) - (8)
                                     Applications that ride along do not need to be open source. -NT - (broomberg) - (7)
                                         This is starting to sound like fertile ground for lawyers -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                                             ObSentientLRPD: It got me an A+ on a biology paper. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                             If you have to ask, you can't afford it. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             Been that way for many internet EONs. -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                                 Today, you dance for my amusement. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                             Keeping you in touch with temptation. -NT - (admin)
                                             Hello! Woody! Do you want join in vehement athletics? -NT - (Ashton)
             Here is a better example - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 Now *that* kind of "web service" *is* a loophole - (drewk) - (1)
                     No, it is a loophole - see my reply to bepatient -NT - (ben_tilly)
                 FWIW, Asterisk can be commercially licensed -NT - (altmann)
                 Not really. - (bepatient) - (7)
                     Nope, they are not - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                         Re: Nope, they are not - (bepatient) - (5)
                             The source of my impression... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 Thats fine - (bepatient) - (3)
                                     I believe that they are not actually violating the license - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                         Still in wait and see mode! - (imric) - (1)
                                             Not so pointless - (ben_tilly)

Religion.
140 ms