IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Are there shortcuts to be had?
Or did Moore's law finally make brute force algorithms acceptable. Seems to me that most of the shortcuts that were taken had little applicability outside of the specific domain of playing chess. And brute force is fine when the rules and the possible combinations are fixed.

But the whole impetus of chess as a means of discovering the process of machine learning seems to have been unfulfilled. Perhaps the mystery has been taken away from chess, as we will come to see it as a problem that can be computed and calculated (just like addition and subtraction used to be viewed as a true form of human intelligence).

Ah well, there's always Go - where the computers are still getting the sh*t kicked out of them. :-)
New And I don't buy the "proof" of the 4 color theorem either.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New I'll drink some Absinthe to that..
Not even a compact hour of Nova can untaint that pyramid of anti-intuitive machine-massaging into a 'Proof' of anything inspiring Belief or even cha-cha-cha... Or as AE put it
The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who knows it not and can no longer wonder, no longer feel amazement, is as good as dead, a snuffed-out candle. It was the experience of mystery--even if mixed with fear-that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only
accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms-it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious
attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his
creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls. Enough for me the mystery of the eternity of life, and the inkling of the marvellous structure of reality, together with the single-hearted endeavour to comprehend a portion, be it never so tiny, of the reason that manifests itself in nature.
from, The World as I See It

Of course too re Chess, the possibility -nay Hope!- of the simultaneous yet divergent multiple attack - G\ufffddel will bite the serial-plodding bit pushers in that rotating accumulator, eventually -- this sucker ain't nothin like er Turing-complete? All that needs doing is Golf-handicap - make those sucker-machines suffer under scaled time-constraints. Er, \ufffd 2005 Mua-dlin Associates LLC

RIP Alan - but if you'da liked gurrls... well.. we mighta had MasterCard consolidated-debt Off-the-Top --> [The 1%'s Repository under Yucca Mountain and The Caymans] decades earlier! :(

More notes from the expurgated edition, It's a Wondeerful Life
Ev'ry v^v^ time a v^v little bell ^v^ rings
Another pissed-off-Angel bites off an Economist's brain stem
New I believe Moore's law
IIRC, a factor of 10 improvement in computing is estimated to give you about +200 on the ELO scale. And that improvement takes about 5 years to deliver.

Deep Blue, being specialized hardware and massively parallel, was several years beyond what commodity hardware could do.

That's why it beat Kasparov, then we had several years of computers losing or drawing to top players.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     The Final Curtain Call - (Ashton) - (7)
         It is to weep. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             computers can't emulate dirt, hunger and grinding poverty - (boxley) - (1)
                 And whom, pray tell, is concerned with that? - (mmoffitt)
         Are there shortcuts to be had? - (ChrisR) - (3)
             And I don't buy the "proof" of the 4 color theorem either. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 I'll drink some Absinthe to that.. - (Ashton)
             I believe Moore's law - (ben_tilly)

Ho ho, then you ain't gettin' no Coke!
66 ms