IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Function of the connection?
Not sure where to set the default, but IIRC you can set the timeout for the commands in the connection via ADO or whatever method you choose to connect with.
New Re: Function of the connection?
I know there are several commands that a client can use to set its own timeout settings for its connection. I'm wondering if there is some way to set a global timeout on the database or server itself. This would be applied to all connections (perhaps unless they specify their own timeouts).

The problem we are having is that a client process locks a table and then goes off into never-never land. It doesn't die, so the connection remains, as does the lock. Any client-connection-specified timeouts wouldn't apply because the database DID respond promptly. Unfortunately, the database never tells the client process "Hey, you've had that table locked for 2 days; go away and let somebody else play with it."

I hope I'm getting my point across. I'm hampered because not only am I not a real DBA, I don't even play one on television!

Brian Bronson
New Are you wanting the Lock Timeout changed? Or...
do you want to kill the connection after a certain amount of time?

New I want the DB server to kill the connection
after a certain server-specified timeout setting.

Brian Bronson
     MS SQL Server 7.0 timeout settings question - (bbronson) - (4)
         Function of the connection? - (ChrisR) - (3)
             Re: Function of the connection? - (bbronson) - (2)
                 Are you wanting the Lock Timeout changed? Or... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     I want the DB server to kill the connection - (bbronson)

Thank GOD you finished that sentence.
56 ms