IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Samsung SyncMaster 710N LCD monitor.
[link|http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-171&depa=1|Samsung 710N]: 17" 1280x1024x75Hz. It's pretty nice.

It wakes up ~ instantly when blanked on MacOS X (i.e. in power saving mode), unlike the 17" Sony that it replaces.

It's very bright. MacOS X had some default settings for it that were pretty close, but I ended up turning the brightness down to 0 because it was just too bright. Black is pretty black (but not perfect), and text is nice. We don't play games on it, but I haven't noticed any "ghosting" artifacts with the plasma screen saver or when moving windows around the screen quickly.

I haven't noticed any dead pixels or any that are stuck on.

So far, it seems like a very nice choice if you're looking for a 17" LCD. It only has a VGA input, so if you insist on a DVI input it's not a good choice.

There's a $20 mail-in rebate on it until the end of the month at newegg and a few other places. It's $13 cheaper now than it was on 6/11 when I bought ours (now $220 including $10 shipping after rebate).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Samsung 712n is also quite good
I'm happy enough with the 712N that I'd buy another to replace mine if it got run over by a bus.

The specs on the 712N are nearly identical to the 710. From the pics on the Samsung site, the footprint might be slightly different.
     Samsung SyncMaster 710N LCD monitor. - (Another Scott) - (1)
         Samsung 712n is also quite good - (dws)

An eye is upon you... staring straight down and keenly through!
114 ms