IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No, I'd like to see open source WPS, but
I'm pretty sure we're not going to see either.

A big problem with open-sourcing OS/2 is source code or components licensed from others. (This was a problem with OpenOffice/StarOffice 6, since they had to replace the licenced spell checkers, dictionaries, etc).

And, although I'm not a kernal hacker, I doubt OS/2's kernal and core OS is really that much better than Linux 2.4xx or, to get really modern, something like BeOS or QNX. For example, I'm pretty sure IBM has never really fixed the Single Input Queue problem.

Now, porting and improving the Workplace Shell would still be very, very interesting.

Tony
New Open source part of OS/2
without all the Microsoft legacy code, and code that was licensed from other companies. Then have the Open Source Gurus replace that code with new code.

Or just release all the API calls and let the WINE and WABI people emulate those calls?

"Oy! Seats taken mate!" - "Brilliant!" on BBC America
New Kernel issues and Input Queues

Actually, the input queue feature is not a kernel issue. It's a Presentation Manager issue. The PM was designed to use a synchronous input queue for two reasons; one, it's much more efficient on system resources, and it permits some interesting features. There used to be a universal spell checker for OS/2, though I don't remember the name. Since the input queue is synchronous, it's easy for an application to hook into it. So, what the universal spell checker does is scan and spell check all input from the keyboard. It had a control key combo to toggle checking on and off. You could buy this one spell check and never need one for an application ever again.

WRT kernel tech; OS/2's kernel kicks linux's ass when it comes to threading. It is the best threading kernel I've seen, though I've not played with BeOS, which I hear is very good. However, it's not portable like the linux kernel is; it's got lots of x86 assembler I hear, and other fun things like that, so you can't take it to another platform very easily. However, when it comes to raw performance, I'll take my native threaded servers over the unix stuff any day of the week. They really get a lot more work done....

That said, a well implemented OS/2-*nix hybrid would really catch my attention...

--
----------------------------------------------------------
* Jack Troughton jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
* [link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|http://jakesplace.dhs.org]] [link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org]] *
* Montr\ufffdal PQ Canada [link|news://jakesplace.dhs.org|news://jakesplace.dhs.org] *
----------------------------------------------------------
     Open source OS/2? - (acagle) - (3)
         No, I'd like to see open source WPS, but - (tonytib) - (2)
             Open source part of OS/2 - (nking)
             Kernel issues and Input Queues - (jake123)

Fusion power might transform the Middle East from an important strategic asset for the Western world into a bunch of strangers killing themselves over disagreements about sand and magic.
34 ms