IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New somehow I dont think your refering to brit commandos
there appears to be almost as much SAS as SAP out there. How dificult is it and how does one get a handle on it?
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Brief exposure to SAS on IBM VM/CMS system...
many years ago. For the needs we had, it didn't look too complex to me. Didn't Chris Brenn work at [link|http://www.sas.com/|SAS] in Research Triangle Park, NC?
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Yeah, I thought so too...
Evil Alex:
Didn't Chris Brenn work at [link|http://www.sas.com/|SAS] in Research Triangle Park, NC?
...but it turns out, apparently, his name is actually Chris Wright! :-)

(Or have I got this bassackwards? If not, where on Earth *did* you get the "Brenn" from, Chris?)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New where on Earth *did* you get Chris Brenn?
Possibly from cwbrenn, possibly just a Chris related brainfart - all Chrises being mapped to a single brain cell. Never fear, Christian is in another cell. :-)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New The question was (and is), where did HE (Chris) get it from?
His mother's maiden surname? A nickname from grade school? A comic book hero he used to impersonate? His "handle" from some lame "D&D" on-line game?

The mystery thickens the plot, or whatever... Inquiring (that reminds me, gotta go [link|http://www.theinquirer.net|read Mike Magee]) Minds <s>Want</s>Need To Know!
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New SAS basics
The core language is heavily derived from PLI. The "system" is, well, a system. It includes a "development environment" (from the days before such a term existed), which I largely detest, a core procedural data language (the DATA step), a bunch of canned procedures (PROCs) (most of the useful ones are in extra, value-added, bleed-that-turnip, licensce for an additional fee, products), and a macro language.

There's little extensibility (there is, technically, through SAS/Toolkit, but it's a seldom-seen turnip bleeder), result being that there are some really annoying hacks done with Macro (many with my name on them). The main emphases are on data manipulation, reports, statistics, and graphics, with a heavy emphasis on hardcopy (rather than onscreen) reporting. This is changing with the growth of the web. Licensing is, in general, a major bitch. Per-seat will run $2-4K for a decent developer station, bulk licensing brings corporate costs down to ~$500 for a suitable number of seats. There's no runtime, so you've got to have a license per seat. Runs on anything, Mac to Mainframe, though current support is largely WinXX, Unix/Linux, and Mainframe. OS/2, Mac, VMS, and other platforms are largely unsupported moving forward.

The company is slowly moving into the 1980s. There's now online documentation available in several places (contrary to licensing policy), Google should turn it up, University of Chicago and UCLA IIRC.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
     Any east-coast SAS types? - (kmself) - (8)
         Not me; I'm South-Coast... And happily recovering! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
             I'm Midwest - (nking)
         somehow I dont think your refering to brit commandos - (boxley) - (5)
             Brief exposure to SAS on IBM VM/CMS system... - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Yeah, I thought so too... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     where on Earth *did* you get Chris Brenn? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         The question was (and is), where did HE (Chris) get it from? - (CRConrad)
             SAS basics - (kmself)

As you wish.
42 ms