IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good letter on Gates' H1B whining at TheInq.
[link|http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22892|Here]:

Subject: Remove H1-B Restrictions
Re: [link|http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22866|King Billy Gates wants more foreign engineers]

His majesty, Bill KBE, would have more credibility if he would simply admit that he thinks Western IT workers make too much money. When my company advertises for an open technical position we are flooded with resumes. O.K. perhaps it is a tsunami of resumes. After plowing through them and culling ones based on advanced degrees and certifications then the pile is small enough to actually review.

Let me also point out that I teach Java programming at one of the local colleges part time. I am one of those "advanced degree" people who is wondering which subsequent career will be best (residential electrician or auto mechanic) when this gig is over. My class was cancelled this last term due to lack of interest, so I took a course in speaking Chinese. Kids are simply not signing up for technology coursework not because they are stupid, but the job market is simply not kind to those who invest their time and effort into such fruitless endeavors.

I am not exactly a positive role model either. My B.S. is in robotics engineering from the University of California. I maintain a State engineer's license and I have a M. Sc. from Drexel U. in Philadelphia. I describe my career as "hanging on." My wife kindly reminds me that I should have become a dentist or orthodontist since I am good with my hands. I used to view those careers as "trades." How dumb was that? I have two friends from my engineering school completing law degrees.

Bottom line is Bill wants cheap labor. Nobody in America is going to pay the American Univeristy price of admission for a degree which provides little career prospects and rewards. So America will continue to decline technically simply because there is no real incentive to pursue such endeavors.

Arthur

Well said. The solution is obvious too.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Who needs a solution?
This is the natural course of capitalism. It is working perfectly. Having a "solution" in mind suggests that something is broken. Nothing is broken, except perhaps that what's left of citizen representation in Washington has slowed down (however temporarily) the influx of cheap labor into this country.

If you're a capitalist, I can't see how you can bemoan the funneling of wealth upward to the few (who really deserve it because, you know, "they're more productive members of society").
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
God Bless America.
New Bill thinks he needs a solution...
New Shouldn't subject line be
Bill needs a solution?

or

We need a solution to Bill?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New :-)
New Right On! (what he said)
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
     Good letter on Gates' H1B whining at TheInq. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Who needs a solution? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             Bill thinks he needs a solution... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Shouldn't subject line be - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Right On! (what he said) -NT - (lincoln)

Holy cow! NONE of us have opposable thumbs!
97 ms