IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ginger's skirt lifted - reveals all (almost) -
[link|http://www.itworld.com/Tech/3494/IDG011203ginger/|Dean Kamen's Ginger exposed at last]

Peter Sayer, IDG News Service, Paris Bureau
The invention formerly known as 'Ginger' is a self-balancing two-wheeled transportation device containing ten microprocessors, and goes by the name of Segway, according to published reports.

Segway's processors pack as much computing power as three PCs, and perform the complex calculations required to keep the two-wheeled device continually upright, according to an extensive report in Monday's edition of Time magazine.

The device takes up little more space on the pavement than a pedestrian, has a top speed of around 17 miles per hour (27 kilometers per hour) and has a range of around 17 miles, according to the report. With a small platform to stand on, a wheel on each side and a single, long handle rising in front, the highly secretive invention doesn't look like much, but tech luminaries Steve Jobs, chief executive officer (CEO) of Apple Computer Inc., and Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon.com Inc., were said to be "wowed" by it back in January.

Time has spent the last three months with Dean Kamen, inventor of the Segway, at his New Hampshire-based company DEKA Research & Development Corp., according to the report. The device will enter mass production next year, and early customers for it will include the United States Postal Service and Amazon.com.

Doug - M

New Taking over in-city transport?
At $3000 a pop, they have GOT to be kidding. I wouldn't buy one if it were $300. I *might* buy one if it were $30.

No quarral with the argument that driving things in cities is stupid/inefficient/etc.

But these 15mph thingies? Driving these things along sidewalks? Oh for Christ's sake give me a break. Cincinnati isn't exactly a thriving downtown but I can't imagine taking one of these things down sidewalks downtown.

And Hell No, not in the streets. If pedestrians are going to complain, the drivers downtown are going to be ruthless.
And, except for *very* limited applications, I don't see anyone, anywhere, ever, buying a $3000 scooter for what they could get with a reasonably priced used car.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New initially the yupites will buy
and folks around here, staid matrons in their late forties use electric and gas scooters to breeze around the town (town not city). When volume predicts $800.00 scooters the unwashed will line up to buy it.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Scene I saw this morning.
Walking from the station to work this morning, I saw a gent, probably only a few years younger than me, roller-skate down the footpath, sneakers in his hand. He stopped for some traffic lights, and when they changed, he smoothly skated across the road and continued on down the footpath. Much faster than walking!

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New A chopped C5 with apehanger bars?
Peter,

Did you lads let Clive Sinclair out again???
New Briggs&Stratton - a lawnmower w/ actual mowing bits removed.
     Ginger's skirt lifted - reveals all (almost) - - (dmarker2) - (5)
         Taking over in-city transport? - (wharris2) - (2)
             initially the yupites will buy - (boxley)
             Scene I saw this morning. - (static)
         A chopped C5 with apehanger bars? - (scoenye) - (1)
             Briggs&Stratton - a lawnmower w/ actual mowing bits removed. -NT - (CRConrad)

You're gonna look like a right plank with that thing held against your face.
47 ms