IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fixed in Win2K SP2.
There are many examples of what certainly look like dirty tricks with respect to MS's actions regarding OS/2. This is only the latest. The Windows 3.11 "upgrade" which broke "OS/2 for Windows" was a clear example.

But since OS/2 only had a very peripheral part in the antitrust case, I don't know how much stronger it would have made your argument.

From the horse's mouth [link|http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q265003|here].

SYMPTOMS

You can create an OS/2 Boot Manager partition by using IBM OS/2 or Partition Magic from PowerQuest to establish a multi-boot environment. This OS/2 Boot Manager partition can become damaged because of a Windows 2000 shutdown. This damage can occur even as early as the initial shutdown during the Windows 2000 installation when the OS/2 Boot Manager partition is pre-existing.

If Windows 2000 shuts down when an OS/2 Boot Manager partition has been previously created, it considers the boot manager partition as a FAT partition and tries to mark the partition as clean. Because of this, it overwrites an important part of the code in the boot manager partition, which can prevent you from starting your computer. For example, with Partition Magic version 3.0, the boot manager menu frame is displayed but does not include the menus, so you may receive an empty blue screen and cannot restart the computer.

CAUSE

This problem can occur when the Windows 2000 FAT file system shutdown tries to mark the partition FAT structures as "clean" for subsequent boots. This is because the OS/2 Boot Manager partition boot sector mimics a FAT12 partition boot sector. Because of this, the OS/2 Boot Manager partition indicates that it contains 2 FATs (the primary and the mirror), but actually only has one FAT. The area typically used for the mirror FAT contains the Boot Manager executable code. When Windows 2000 attempts to mark the FAT at clean, a sector in the mirror FAT and the boot manager code is overwritten.

[Of course, IBM's Boot Manager has existed nearly unchanged since at least 1992, so this characteristic of the code was completely unknown to Microsoft and could only be patched in SP2 which came out in June 2000...]

[...]

WORKAROUND

To work around this problem when it occurs, you must remove and reinstall the boot manager. Note that the next time Windows 2000 shuts down, it again damages the boot manager partition. To prevent this, do not shut down Window 2000 normally, instead, turn the power off or press the Reset button on your computer.

What a fine work-around.... :-P

And MS wonders why so many people dislike them...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks - you are probably right
While mentioning that specific example would strengthen the reasonableness of that action, it would also open up the possibility of arguing that past actions were merely bugs, and not intended. Might as well not open up room for that criticism.

Still I think the point stands. The agreement as it stands will not effectively restrict the behavioural problems it is supposedly intended to address. Hopefully the judge, attorney generals, or some political figures will read what I wrote and be disgusted enough to react. If not, then I don't know what more I could effectively say to show how obviously rotten this PoS sellout is.

Cheers,
Ben
     How to submit comments on proposed DoJ/MS Settlement. - (Another Scott) - (8)
         My response - (ben_tilly) - (7)
             Re: My response - (SpiceWare) - (6)
                 But when do they do it? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                     It happened every bootup. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         Yes, that's how I heard it at the time. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Didn't know that - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             Fixed in Win2K SP2. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Thanks - you are probably right - (ben_tilly)

Those Pacific Island natives that have never met an outsider, and don't know about the outside world at all called. They said, "No shit, Sherlock."
33 ms