IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mozilla 9.6 for OS/2 a disappointing step back
Alas, 0.9.6 locks up when it hits the splash screen, and goes no further. All of the nightly builds since then have had the same problem. Too bad. :(

"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Did you try . .
. . installing in a virgin directory? I've had to do this at several stages to avoid lockup - then copy my bookmarks and such back to the new directory.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New yep
new directories, latest official build and the last two nightly builds, all hang on the splash screen.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New I think I had a similar experience...
When I tried my second beta of Mozilla (Win32 I think), no window would appear on launching the app. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I think Peter said it had something to do with .ini files or something. Bottom line - Mozilla knew where the old version was and was trying to use something built from it during the installation/first startup automatically (bookmarks or something).

I assume the OS/2 version also looked for the old directory during the install (even if nothing was installed there).

I'd suggest .zipping up your old Mozilla installation, cleaning out the relevant .INI settings (if any) using INIMAINT or similar making sure all obvious remnants are gone, and reinstalling the latest OS/2 Mozilla beta you feel comfortable with (maybe a nightly, maybe not). If that still crashes your system, then something's clearly amiss (maybe the old bugaboo of video drivers) and I guess you'll have to go back to an earlier build.

HTH a bit. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Reported font issue causing crashes in 0.9.6 on OS/2.
From [link|http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/|OS/2 Warp News and Rumors]

The WarpZilla team has released (11/27/2001) an OS/2 build of Mozilla 0.9.6 release, which supports plugins, DDE, "turbo" mode, and more. If you have crashes at startup with this build, and you do not have the "Times New Roman MT 30" font installed, you can edit the os2pref.js and change those references to "Tms Rmn". Also available is an OS/2 build of Mozilla 0.9.2.1, which is comparable to the Netscape 6.1 release. The semi-daily VAC builds have also resumed, with as many as two builds per day. Some benchmarks of the various flavors, including Netscape 4.61, are available. You can see a list of some of the known bugs in the OS/2 port.

Sorry for losing the links in the text.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Using latest nightly build (download 12-21-01)
Seems greatly improved, fast rendering, mozilla images in bookmarks and the streaking of images I saw now and then is gone. So far, no crash & lockup problems.
New OK, I've generated the flash screen freeze
This appears to be the account manager.

When I installed the nightly build and started it the first time, it converted my Netscape account stuff as it always does.

The next time it started it came up to account manager and showed account aax, but said it couldn't find it to use it, so I made a new account, ajg and copied all my bookmarks and such from my older Mozilla. This woked just fine, except account manager came up on each start forcing me to select the account, which I don't need, so I used account manager to delete the unused aax account.

On restart - lockup at flash screen.

I restarted the computer to clear mozilla out (nothing could kill it) and reran the unzip to reinstall. Now, no problem. It uses the ajg account as default.

I am pretty sure I also had the lockup problem some time back when I prevented it from converting Netscape, so my suggestion is to make sure you have a fully operational Netscape 4.61 on the same drive as the mozilla install and let it convert the accont info. Hopefully it will then run OK.
     Mozilla 9.6 for OS/2 a disappointing step back - (cwbrenn) - (6)
         Did you try . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             yep - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                 I think I had a similar experience... - (Another Scott)
         Reported font issue causing crashes in 0.9.6 on OS/2. - (Another Scott)
         Using latest nightly build (download 12-21-01) - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             OK, I've generated the flash screen freeze - (Andrew Grygus)

IANK.
53 ms