IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New test
Not a bad idea.

I guess that means that the forum is ready to use (even if it's not 'finished' yet)!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New Needs more testing
People need to use it concurrently, etc., to make sure it has the kinks worked out.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Check.
but wouldn't the best way to do that be to get people talking the way they do on eZboard? We need a topic that could garner participation....

Hey - I could start a thread on how much Linux sucks, or how the world economy depends on Microsoft holding the reins of IT...

*giggle*

Imric's Tips for Living

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New What're you, stoopid?
Linux r00lz!!!!! Winblow$ 5uck5!!!

im g0nn4 0wn j00!
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Do0dZ, yer in a rut: CP/M-2002 w/MP is where
the next action is.. on-the-fly microkernel execution via tunnel-diode overlay-switching at 10 GHz; NMR cache storage with 20 pS transfer from any of 100 overlays - native p-code engine - switch OS to fit task, after CP/M-MMII/MP boot/init.

Don'cha guys keep up with the Skunkworks at Sandia? (O'course this insider stuff does cost a few $$)
New You're on.
I was in two minds of whether I wanted to be an Admin here as well. But as soon as Scott does an Admin interface, I'll put up a Static Page for you to argue on. Hmm. That means I have to think of something to get you yakking...

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New This is a test. This is only a test.
Linux vs. Windows: Windows Has Already Won.

• Microsoft standardizes infrastructure.

Because of Microsoft's wide industry and consumer acceptance, business can move with unprecedented efficiency. Data can be exchanged between companies everywhere - let's face it, every company worth mentioning uses Microsoft-based systems. This means marketing communications, reports, orders, requirements, and even payments can be processed electronically. Further, as companies grow and change, training costs are reduced signifigantly by the adoption of one standard: Microsoft. Everyone that has used a PC has used Windows, after all - and probably Office. Because the modern job-market means changing jobs more often than in previous eras, this benefits both employers and employed (training carries over from job-to-job).

• Microsoft software drives change in technology.

Windows development often out-strips hardware development - this forces hardware development to move at an accelerated pace - after all, the PC hardware is probably going to run Windows.

• Microsoft Certified personnel numbers means efficient staffing.

Since Microsoft is the dominant OS manufacturer for the most common type of computer, the largest part of the IT workforce are trained Windows professionals. This is good news for HR; it is easier to find a large group of eligible candidates. Companies win when they can be choosier about who they hire.

• Linux is not standardized, and cannot be.

Open-Source licensing means that anyone can make thier own versions of 'Linux' with signifigant differences between them. This kind of anarchy makes it difficult for software developers to create programs that work with all of these 'Linuxen'. Consumers will never know whether a linux version of a PC program will work on thier system. Company-based support suffers from this kind of disorganization, as well (how much more is support for all those OS versions going to cost?) - and vendor support is necessary; if you ever want a customer to return, you don't consign them to public newsgroups for support...

• The Linux development model cannot be relied upon

The GPL means that developers can't make money by selling binary code - the unrestricted supply (via source-code availability) can meet any demand at zero cost. That means less money for software development - and less money for full-time effort. What you get is a catch-as-catch-can kind of development resource - and projects only progess when hobbyists get around to finishing thier work. This is not a developmental regimen that can be relied upon.

• Linux personnel: You take what you can find.

Another problem with using Linux in any commercial enterprise - where do you get your personnel? As I previously pointed out, the bulk of the pool of professional talent are Microsoft professionals. Linux certification is almost as fragmented as Linux itself - how do you know what you are getting? And that's if you can find certified Linux personnel at all. HR is not going to like it if you attempt to hire a hobbyist to run (or develop for) a mission-critical system - and you may have difficulty justifying it to your CIO, too.

Ugh. I feel dirty.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Good thing it's only a test!
Imric, I think someone's been tampering with your login! :-) :-) :-)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Depressing, isn't it..
That so many will find those arguments compelling, shall have instantly forgotten their early and subsequent experiences with the products, 'support', fees:

Have perhaps heard of HailStorm and "the new plans" - have no idea what it means to say, "someone Else has control of all your data!" - nor if they did hear, might well say - "so what?"

{sigh} And they may well succeed in spinning it all into a 'Commyunist / Capitalist' battle: and they be the "underdog". To boot.

Should be an Interesting next 3 years. Will USSC get the case - and stall another 1? 2? years too? Will any penalty ever be exacted?

Prediction: if somehow they manage to get an initial high response to the PassPort / HailStorm plots - no one will ever be able to overturn their continuing and growing control - even by assassination. The disassembly would prove too disruptive to the 90-day quarter mindset everywhere from Wall St. down. It will be set in concrete.

:[

..like watching a train wreck slo-mo, and everyone's on it.
     testing -NT - (malraux) - (12)
         Testing from Lynx - (malraux) - (11)
             Used to read IWE via local lib. login! - (ashton2)
             Idea - (pwhysall) - (9)
                 test - (imric) - (8)
                     Needs more testing - (admin) - (7)
                         Check. - (imric) - (6)
                             What're you, stoopid? - (drewk)
                             Do0dZ, yer in a rut: CP/M-2002 w/MP is where - (ashton2)
                             You're on. - (static)
                             This is a test. This is only a test. - (imric) - (2)
                                 Good thing it's only a test! - (static)
                                 Depressing, isn't it.. - (ashton2)

This is nothing compared to Grand Theft Auto III, because you can't steal a taxi cab, pick up somebody, then drive into the ocean with him.
71 ms