IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's universal
A girl aint gonna give it away for free.
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New or at all if they get paid in advance, evidently :)
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New So it's true
You can get something for nothing! :)
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New zero-sum-game
because somebody else gets nothing for something...
[link|http://forfree.sytes.net|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New So what you're saying . . .
. . is that all women are - ummm - I think they call themselves "sex workers" now rather than use the "w" word.

Since this comes from a female biologist I guess we can consider it an authoritative statement, and go from there.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New As B Russell(?) is reputed to have said: "We have already...
...established what you are; now we're just negotiating the price".

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
Expand Edited by CRConrad Feb. 10, 2005, 04:50:39 AM EST
Expand Edited by CRConrad Feb. 10, 2005, 04:51:12 AM EST
Expand Edited by CRConrad Feb. 10, 2005, 04:51:29 AM EST
New Ummm . . . don't think it was Churchill.
New Keep on guessing (last guess: B. Russell)
If I notice you guessing the person that it is usually attributed to, I'll note that, but you haven't managed to get it yet. I'm curious how many famous people you can go through before getting there. :-P

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
Expand Edited by ben_tilly Feb. 10, 2005, 08:47:56 AM EST
New Oh, come on
Females have the burden of attracting a male, enduring and maintaining pregnancy, delivering the young, protecting the young and raising the young- all to ensure the survival of the species, and for humans, the survival of civiliation.
We may live in a patriarchal society but we all know its the women who keep it all together. And what does the male do? Inseminate the female. Big whoop. Yes, this is vital to ensure the proliferation of the species, but I dont hear too many men complaining about it. So if you ask me, snatching a rock every now and then to protect one's eggs is hardly out of line.

Tell me, when you bring home flowers or candy for your wife, dont you sometimes expect a little action for your kindness? Or if you take a women on a date, pay for dinner, a movie, coffee, whatever, dont you- somewhere in the back of your mind- think that you've invested a lot of money in the woman and deserve a little "reciprocation". Tit for tat. It's not just the women who do it.

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Maybe I'm doing something wrong then.
When I use rocks I never seem to get anything other than odd looks and restraining orders.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New :-)
New I don't understand, then
how can female penguins file a restraining order?
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New Oh, the males do a little more than that
Ignoring the issue of who has to attract who...

There's that whole issue of providing shelter, dragging home food, fighting (or leading) off preditors, buying the minivan, fighting the wars so it has fuel, and inventing the internet - all in hopes of getting a little nookie now and then.

Without the desire to mate, there would be no civilization. Its all just colossal oneupmanship.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Okay, so maybe I was being a little facetious, but
"Ignoring the issue of who has to attract who..."
In most of the animal kingdom it's the male who is showier and tries to catch the eye of the ladies. But for humans, it's dead opposite. Look at the comestic industry and breast implants, for example. We dont spend this kind of money to look good for other women, ya know. (At least most of us dont)

"There's that whole issue of providing shelter, dragging home food, fighting (or leading) off preditors, buying the minivan, fighting the wars so it has fuel, and inventing the internet"
Look at all the single mothers out there doing all of the above.
What about the women in the military? We fight and torture prisoners just like the men do.

"Its all just colossal oneupmanship"
Not trying to one-up anybody. Just stating the facts, sir.

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Yes you do
We dont spend this kind of money to look good for other women, ya know.
Any reasonably attractive woman can go out and get impregnated -- or at least go through the motions -- any night she wants to. She doesn't have to look like a model, she just has to be sufficiently friendly.

Or let me put it another way. (Stereo)Typically women use appearance to compete for mates. Men use the ability to provide. But you know what? The most driven businessmen are not doing it for the women. They like to "win", to be better than the other men. I suspect it's the same with women.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Hmmmm
Maybe so

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Re: Hmmmm
The man still has to pursue the woman, for the most part.

As Drew said, women control mating. What she looks like or how she behaves is more or less irrelevant, within reason. Most of the dolling up she does is for herself.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Not all for herself
Women have plenty of mating opportunities. True. For a graphical illustration, how many women could be prostitutes if they really wanted to be? Even the unattractive ones generally could - see the concept of a "skag".

However they don't have so many opportunities to mate with desirable men.

They also have even fewer opportunities to get men to settle down.

And even fewer opportunities to get desirable men to settle down.

So for a woman to have the matings that she wants is a competitive situation. And she is competing with other women for it.

Most of the details of womanly competition men are cheerfully oblivious to. Conversely women tend to hold with some distain the details of the hierarchies that men build with each other. However both sexes have a fairly accurate idea how well individuals of the other sex do in that internal competition, and respond accordingly.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New You all dont get it
Wrong wrong wrong. We dont spend an hour in the bathroom every morning to impress other women. It's to impress YOU. You men are the prize. We do it to compete with other women for the prize, not to impress other women. You're not oblivious to our efforts. For the most part, you respond to them. If you're at a bar and have to choose between a frump or a women who puts some time and effort into her appearance- who are you going to be drawn to first?????

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Madison Avenue
Sees a competitive aspect, at least. Women are more likely have thier attention drawn by a beautiful woman than a handsome man. That's why ads targeting females don't have frumpy women in them.

It's not to attract a man. Men will be attracted anyway. It's to compete with other women.

Personally, I'd think jello wrestling would be a more effective form of competition, but hey, that's just me.

]
Imric's Tips for Living

New Not mud wrestling?

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Well, OK
But jello has that lovely transparent quality...
]
Imric's Tips for Living

New You're a...
LEAN...MEAN...FIGHTIN...MACHINE!!!!!

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Yeah; I, too, always identify with Oxberger (Candy).
New Yes and no
I believe women do try hard to impress men, sure; but in a lot of cases, it appears they are trying to compete for the top 1% (financially or socially), not necessarily the normal marrying type.

The point I think Ben was trying to get at was from the male point of view. Most men aren't paying as much attention as women think. Beyond a certain amount of prepping just to look attractive, we don't require women to put that much work into it. In fact too much can intimidate a lot of men. How many guys would feel comfortable actually going up to a supermodel and asking her for a date?
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.

General George S. Patton
New Bingo.
I saw "The Terminal" about a month ago, and for the first time in my life, I actually found Catherine Zeta-Jones an attractive woman. She's not excessively dolled up like she is in her other films - just an average woman.

And she looks a heck of a lot better to me that way.
"Here at Ortillery Command we have at our disposal hundred megawatt laser beams, mach 20 titanium rods and guided thermonuclear bombs. Some people say we think that we're God. We're not God. We just borrowed his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."
New That's why...
That's why I've liked Sandra Bullock. She tends to do the normal girl next door look (especially The Net).
~~~)-Steven----

General George S. Patton
New No. You don't get it.
Listen to the chorus of guys. Guys are oblivious. Really.

Oh, guys notice. We tend to be very visual. But we don't notice what women think we notice.

Experiment for you. Remember the last time that you got a hair cut. Remember who made unsolicited comments on it. Did the list include any guys? Likely not, and if there was one then he was probably in a relationship with you and considers it his job to notice and respond appropriately. Did the list include any gals? I'll bet it did!

Repeat said thought experiment with a nice piece of clothing. Most guys can't even tell you what the woman sitting next to them is wearing without turning and looking. Most women remember people by what they are wearing. Yet women expect men to react to what they effectively don't even see.

Guys are oblivious to what women do to enhance their appearances. Seriously oblivious.

In fact we often respond negatively to things that women are unaware of. Take perfume, for instance. I'm still looking for a polite way to say, "Your perfume makes me sick." Every so often I really want to say it to strangers in elevators, because it really is true. I know that they believe that it makes them more attractive. They're dead wrong.

Another example is lipstick. Some men react positively to it, others do not. I do not for the simple reason that it isn't fun to kiss lips with lipstick, chapstick, etc on them. I'm far from alone.

OTOH guys are very visual. If you want to know what the average guy notices, look at ads aimed at men. (Madison Avenue studies this kind of thing very seriously.) Beer ads are a good example. The faces don't have masses of make-up, secondary sexual attributes (primarily t&a) are played to the hilt.

Blunt, but effective.

So the point is quite straightforward. Women spend an hour a day in the bathroom and the net effect is that they impress (or not) other women, and most of the effort is wasted if they're really trying to get men to notice anything. Whatever women may think they are doing, what they are succeeding in doing is impressing other women, not attracting men.

Cheers,
Ben
Expand Edited by ben_tilly Feb. 11, 2005, 03:24:30 PM EST
New And Madison Avenue desperately wants to keep it that way.
Just how much money do you suppose there is in telling women, "Have narrow sholders and wider hips with thighs that have some substance. Be clean and comb your hair. Having sizeable boobs are a plus but not having them isn't a deal killer in most cases".

I don't smell a whole lot of money there, do you? Very small in comparison to the current market.
New I'm sure it was someone here who pointed this out
And I think it was you, Andrew. The fashion industry is run by gay men. The models they prefer are the ones who look most like the young men they fantasize about. No straight man ever decided he liked the "waif look".
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
New Yeah, it was probably me . .
. . but I wouldn't say "no straight man", there's all kinds of perverts on the straight side too.
New Re: No. You don't get it.
So the point is quite straightforward. Women spend an hour a day in the bathroom and the net effect is that they impress (or not) other women, and most of the effort is wasted if they're really trying to get men to notice anything. Whatever women may think they are doing, what they are succeeding in doing is impressing other women, not attracting men.

Hehehee! The only time I spend an hour in the bathroom is if I'm reading a good book on the throne. ;)

Brenda
Nightowl >8#

"The people of the world having once been deceived, suspect deceit in truth itself." -- Hitopadesa 600?-1100? AD, Sanskrit Fable From Panchatantr
New Good for you!
New This convo makes me glad...
that I was not trying to attract anyone, that John just found me. I don't do all that stuff, I could care less about makeup, fancy clothes, hairdos, etc. He liked me for what I was, not what I displayed.

I'm simply not a typical female, I don't strut my stuff. :)

Brenda
Nightowl >8#

"The people of the world having once been deceived, suspect deceit in truth itself." -- Hitopadesa 600?-1100? AD, Sanskrit Fable From Panchatantr
New I must also protest this point.
The cosmetic, fashion and weight loss industries are totally dependent on women trying to one-up each other. Men rarely enter the equasion at all and then only as an accessory. Women dress to compete and then get offended if men even look at them.

One of the many secrets exposed in Sex Tips for Girls is "Men don't really mind celulite". Can you imagine the disasterous effect on entire industries if women started paying attention to men's opinions?

The panty-hose industry would be down for the count in 8 seconds flat. "Only really, really perverted men like pantyhose", and the cosmetic industry would be struggling to come up with lipstick that doesn't taste like soap. You kiss a woman wearing lipstick as a courtecy, not because you really want to.
New +5, Insightful.
I empathise on the lipstick. I also had a hard realization a few months ago that what the hands like and what the eyes like can be two different things. The eyes need retraining.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New You should read this article.
[link|http://www.davidbrin.com/neotenyarticle1.html|Neoteny and two-way sexual selection in human evolution]

See if it changes your perspective of the male/female interplay. I know it changed mine.

"Here at Ortillery Command we have at our disposal hundred megawatt laser beams, mach 20 titanium rods and guided thermonuclear bombs. Some people say we think that we're God. We're not God. We just borrowed his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."
New Pretty good, but I think he's missing a factor.
Another thing I think women instinctively look for, and which may overrule nurturng, reason and such, is a man with the strength and will to hold enough territory to provide adequate resources (now abstracted as money) and to drive off other strong males who could savage the household. This is where the intense attraction to jerks with money would fit in.
New He mised a point in that article
work in a sober capacity in a bar. Women will compete for a bartender unto blows when they have loving, supportive mates at home. The alcohol lowers their logical thinking ability and raises they emotional persona. They usually compete over a person who is perceived as a "bad" man. This allows insemination of "survivor" genes who is then carried home to be brought up by a generous (and mostly unsuspecting) spouse.
regards,
daemon
I love her dearly, far beyond any creature I've ever known, and I can prove it, for never once in almost seventy years of married life have I taken her by the throat. Mind you, it's been a near thing once or twice.
George Macdonald Frasier
Clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
New Wonder why he didn't mention Desmond Morris.
[link|http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/12/newsid_3116000/3116329.stm|The Naked Ape] covered a lot of these issues in 1967. I'm surprised Brin didn't mention it. Wonder why.

An awful lot that's old is new again...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ask him.
It's possible he never read it - biology isn't exactly his AoK.
New I'm not that interested. Thanks though. :-)
It's been around 25 years since I read TNA. Perhaps it's been superseded by later stuff he cited. I was just surprised that it wasn't at least mentioned as it caused a big splash and was a best seller for a long time. He must have heard of it.

I've not read any of Brin's stuff before (e.g., it's been ages since I curled up with a science fiction novel, and I haven't read TTS either). I've got too much on my plate now to try to talk with him about it. And it really doesn't matter anyway. ;-)

Thanks for the prodding though.

Cheers,
Scott.
New No, not you one upping (upping one?)
I meant that people invent/buy/acquire stuff to gain competitive edge over people who dont have that stuff.

Look, I'm sure it all started with some guy getting the first home built fire going and yelling "Hey baby, you cold? Come on over here and look what I've got!". Most likely the next guy had to skin a woolly mammoth so she'd have something to sit on and it just spiralled out of control from there. You just can't get laid by casting a come hither look from the glow of a campfire while waving around a tasty freshly killed weasel and a pomegranate anymore. Now you've got to pick her up in a Jag and show her your Mega-pad on the lakeshore. You might get by without that stuff, but only in the absence of some guy who does.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Feb. 10, 2005, 04:37:41 PM EST
New I nominate this for an LRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #194376 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=194376|I nominate this for an LRPD]
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New without the desire to mate there would be dam little bathing
I love her dearly, far beyond any creature I've ever known, and I can prove it, for never once in almost seventy years of married life have I taken her by the throat. Mind you, it's been a near thing once or twice.
George Macdonald Frasier
Clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
New Apparently . . .
. . I've wasted most of my life expecting different. I was long resistant to the reality that there is a strict "you pay enough, maybe you might get sex" protocol with women. I suppose it just confused them that I didn't make that connection clearly enough.

So, a lot of my life I've been mislead with "unrealistically romantic ideas about relationship" (which a woman recently accused me of). This last bastion against all=pervasive cynicism too must fall then. "Pay your money and hope for sex" is how the lady biologist says it works, and I guess she would know.

New You missed my point
I didnt say women expect men to "pay your money and hope for sex". I said some MEN HOPE to get sex if they pay their money. That's a guy thing.
As for romance and partnership- I'm all for it.
And why make me the relationship expert? I'm a biologist- not Dr. Phil.

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Biologist != Dr Phil
And here I thought that was what he was talking about all this time!

And , yes this is a Joke.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

[link|http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134485&cid=11233230|"Microsoft Security" is an even better oxymoron than "Miltary Intelligence"]
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
New Because I'm yanking your chain to see if you bite.
New I bite :-)

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
Expand Edited by bionerd Feb. 10, 2005, 11:40:30 AM EST
New Where? How hard?
New A lady never bites and tells

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Monica did.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New Monica is not a lady

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New burden of attracting a male?
Most women that I've known seem to take great pleasure in it!

Incidentally anecdotal evidence would have it that if a guy really wants nookie, he's better off being a jerk. A random, but not atypical, example is the episode in Surely you must be joking, Mr. Feynman where the bartender told him that if he wanted to pick a woman up he had to NOT buy her the drink. (The advice worked.)

More seriously, there seem to be two basic male strategies. One strategy is for guys to portray themselves as A-level men - of interest to all women. The stereotypical examples are rock stars and sports figures. This works well for a small number of men. The second strategy is for guys to accept that they are B-level, and portray themselves as good providers. Most women would prefer to be with an A-level guy, but will settle. (However the B-level guy might just find himself cuckolded...)

The romantic ideal for women, of course, is to have an A-level guy who is also a good provider. The problem is that A-level guys have no incentive to do so - being an A-level guy is enough so why put out the effort? Furthermore A-level guys have an incentive not to do it, in a nasty (but fairly effective) piece of reverse psychology being a jerk demonstrates that you're so attractive to women that you don't have to care. (Conversely if you act as if you care, then you're demonstrating yourself to not really be A-level material!) This serves as a signal to women that this really is an A-level guy.

Of course the A-level strategy will work best in a pick-up scene, like a bar. Which is exactly where Mr. Feynman was and is why being a jerk worked out for him.

This is not how I'd like the world to be, but it seems to be how it is. Machievelli wins again. :-(

Cheers,
Ben
New The 'jerk factor'
Yes, this is absolutely true.

Notice that really nice guys are almost always maried to a woman who feels (sometimes with justification) she is unattractive or has some other flaw that leads her to believe she desn't rate a real flaming jerk, so she settles for less.

Notice that aggressive assholes always have the finest women tending to their every want (and by "finest women" I don't mean "supermodel", I mean the best and brightest). That's because being an aggressive jerk is what's most attractive to women, so jerks can pick and chose. An aggressive asshole with money and a demonstrated propensity to spend it unwisely is the absolutely irresistable attraction and those can have any woman they want and as many as they want.

My youthful idealism was persistent and it took me a long time to learn never to listen to what women say - watch what the do. There's almost no correlation. Women complain endlessly about men, but you'd better display all those characteristics they're complaining about and display them well or you haven't a chance. That's why so many men are like that - it's called "natural selection".
New Unfair!
You guys are painting an unfair portrayal of women!
I cant speak for the rest of my gender, but all I'm looking for is a nice guy! Not rich, not gorgeous, not a jerk, not famous. Just plain nice. It doesnt mean I'm settling for less. Geez!!
(And when I find him, I'll let you know)

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Then you are an exception.
I'm one of those "nice guys" - at least according to all the women I've ever known in my life. And trust me, I've known plenty, most of whom dated jerks, then would come cry on my shoulder when the guy they were dating became abusive towards them/cheated on them/left them over some trivial nonsense - and then when they were done crying, they'd go out and find another jerk to play them over.

Usually, while dating these creeps, they'd say something to me along the lines of "I wish my next boyfriend was more like you."

Not that any of them ever were interested in dating me.

I did finally find somebody who was tired of the jerk treadmill... But it took a while.
New Can't half tell we're primarily a bunch of computer nerds...
Could be worse, we used to have a member who was completely convinced of the 'What are you doing out of the kitchen? And who let you have shoes?' school of treating women.

IMO, anyone who says "ALL women are..." is going to get it wrong.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Never mind.
Expand Edited by inthane-chan Feb. 10, 2005, 03:33:14 PM EST
New Verifiable statement
IMO, anyone who says "ALL women are..." is going to get it wrong.
Scrambling it up a bit, we would get "All men are... wrong" especially when it comes to women (and that could probably be as close to a verifiable absolute as is possible). :-)
New Again, that's what you SAY you want.
The proof, however, is in the pudding. When you wind up with a guy who meets that spec we'll be more than happy to accept what you say (Oooops, I almost said something most unkind).
New God, you're exhausting!

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Yes, and it's time to let you rest.
It's becoming clear you don't actually bite even though you say you do, so there's not much sense in poking at you. I wish you the best in finding what you need.
New Round 2
Hey, you try being provoked by half a dozen people you barely know and see how fast you can come up witty, insightful responses! Cut me some slack.

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Yes
You've handled yourself well and haven't lost patience under stress or run away. I wasn't complaining that you didn't bite, but it was 3:30am, so perhaps I didn't phrase my post as well as I might have.
New Sorry 'bout that
I wasn't trying to provoke. I guess that's why for years it was taboo to discuss the mating habits of homo sapiens sapiens. When you say, "The female of the species does this for this reason," any nearby females of that species might take exception.
===

New Oh, they all say that
Joe Jackson's "Is she really going out with him" wasn't a hit because of the catchy melody ya know.

But what do we know, we're pretty much all B-level nice guy computer geeks.

New Reality isn't fair
I'm not portraying a nice picture of either gender. But I'm portraying the most accurate picture that I know. I'm open to contrary evidence.

Here are a couple of questions to ask yourself:

1. Are there any famous people that you'd sleep with if you got the chance? I'm not asking whether you're trying to land them, but if the opportunity arose to spend time on Brad Pitt's lap or cozied up with Pierce Brosnin, would you turn it down? (If they don't turn your crank, then substitute people who are more to your taste.)
  2. Looking back on your past boyfriends, what is the nice guy/jerk ratio? What reason do you have to believe that your next guy is going to be better than the last few? (Most of us keep on recreating the same relationship over and over again..)

For most single (and far to many non-single) women that I know, the answers are respectively, "of course" and "uh..." As several have noted, women consistently say one thing and do another. Which should we pay attention to?

Cheers,
Ben
New 3rd Degree
*How come you're only asking me? I dont see you asking the other guys about their sexual preferences. Is this some kind of initiation? Okay, I'll bite.(happy now, Andrew?)

1. Are there any famous people that you'd sleep with if you got the chance? I'm not asking whether you're trying to land them, but if the opportunity arose to spend time on Brad Pitt's lap or cozied up with Pierce Brosnin, would you turn it down? (If they don't turn your crank, then substitute people who are more to your taste.)

*Who doesnt have a list of famous people they'd cozy up with? Brad Pitt? Too pretty. Pierce Brosnin? Overgroomed. I'm oddly attracted to Anderson Cooper. And Heath Ledger. And Keith Urban. And that kid that plays Harry Potter.

2. Looking back on your past boyfriends, what is the nice guy/jerk ratio? What reason do you have to believe that your next guy is going to be better than the last few? (Most of us keep on recreating the same relationship over and over again..)

*And the reason we are attracted to the same type of person over and over again is because it's what we know and we're comfortable with it. Even though it might suck, it's easier to do this than change. Change is hard.
Nice guy/jerk ratio- overall, mostly nice guys. Engineers, mostly. I married someone I thought was a nice guy, and he was even able to pull this persona off for most of our marriage. But when his true self started leaking out it was time to pack my bags.
I'm older now, wiser, and still want a nice B-level guy. Unfortunately I'm a working single mother who has precious little time to devote to finding Mr. B-level.

For most single (and far to many non-single) women that I know, the answers are respectively, "of course" and "uh..." As several have noted, women consistently say one thing and do another. Which should we pay attention to?

*It appears that most of you are married. You bagged a wife- what are you complaining about?

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New OT: Posting tips.
Our admin has added some nice features that make it easy to quote text from messages that you're responding to.

You can use the [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=57396|WeeCodes] to easily quote text (and do other HTML goodness, if you check the "Process WeeCodes" item on the New Comment screen), or you can use the "Quote" button down below (though it's a little tricky to get used to).

The "[quote]Text I'm quoting[/quote]" set (withoug the quotation marks) is your friend and a good feature to get to know. It results in:

Text I'm quoting

Ask if you have questions, and experiment in the Test Forum if you're unsure.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New This was not intended as hazing
*How come you're only asking me? I dont see you asking the other guys about their sexual preferences. Is this some kind of initiation? Okay, I'll bite.(happy now, Andrew?)

Two reasons. First of all I don't see them disagreeing with my characterizations of male and female behaviour. Secondly I happen to know a fair amount about most of them. I don't need to ask about Inthane, for instance, I've met him. And his wife Susan.

*Who doesnt have a list of famous people they'd cozy up with? Brad Pitt? Too pretty. Pierce Brosnin? Overgroomed. I'm oddly attracted to Anderson Cooper. And Heath Ledger. And Keith Urban. And that kid that plays Harry Potter.

I meant this as food for your thought, not to answer publically.

But since you mention it, isn't it odd that the vast majority of us are likely to wind up in relationships that (at least nominally) are supposed to be exclusive, but most people maintain a list of famous people that they'd go for anyways? Something doesn't quite add up here. As Shaw said, "We've established what you are, madam, now we are just haggling over the price."

Fame in our society is just a normal social dynamic taken to an absurd extreme. The way that people react to fame is how they've always reacted to success and status. If there are so many famous people that you'd sleep with, how many non-famous ones could trigger that reaction also? On what terms?

That is the A-level strategy that I was referring to above. Most guys can't play it. Plenty try. Those who achieve even moderate success leave a lot of broken hearts.

*And the reason we are attracted to the same type of person over and over again is because it's what we know and we're comfortable with it. Even though it might suck, it's easier to do this than change. Change is hard.

That, and also our reactions tend to follow a pattern. To get a different relationship you often don't need a different person, you just need to interact differently with the same person. To get the same relationship you don't need the same person (or even a very similar one), you just need to develop the same interpersonal dynamics. But since your half of the interaction is going to be the same, and everyone has some common reactions, it is easy to train someone else to fill in the missing pieces.
Nice guy/jerk ratio- overall, mostly nice guys. Engineers, mostly. I married someone I thought was a nice guy, and he was even able to pull this persona off for most of our marriage. But when his true self started leaking out it was time to pack my bags.

I hope you know that that's unusual. It is also possible that many of the guys that you thought were nice were not necessarily nice, but never felt that they had the opportunity to act in a not nice way.

That applies to everyone, incidentally. There are very few saints in this world, and very few devils. Frequently what divides good from bad is perceived opportunity. (Machievelli thought that "frequently" in this case is "virtually always".) There is certainly evidence that bad behaviour becomes more common as power imbalances become more extreme. For instance this shows up very starkly in abuse statistics - abusive behaviour is strongly correlated with the victim's dependence on the abuser. (I'm not saying that most guys are abusers - far from it - but what holds for extremes of bad behaviour also holds for milder expressions.)
I'm older now, wiser, and still want a nice B-level guy. Unfortunately I'm a working single mother who has precious little time to devote to finding Mr. B-level.

Well, good luck.

*It appears that most of you are married. You bagged a wife- what are you complaining about?

Most of us are indeed. Andrew is a notable (and vocally cynical) exception. I've personally been married for 15 years and have no plans to .

While some of us are complaining, I'm not. I'm commenting on what the world looks like to me. I like to understand the world.

Cheers,
Ben
New Yeah, cynical
Like why do I end up with women who just wnat food and sex and run at a hint of "commitment"? That's not the way it's supposed to be, is it? I thought that was the guy's job.
New That is unusual
Though I have to say that a confirmed bachelor who is also a gourmet cook would tend to attract women who just want food and sex...

Cheers,
Ben
New It ain' I that . . .
. . . confirmed the bachelorhood - they did. I've been pretty neutral on the subject but never indicated I rejected marriage.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Feb. 11, 2005, 05:01:39 PM EST
New prolly
if they are not already into a commited relationship at the age I am guessing they are, they aint worth a shit, exceptions such as slugbug and bio are noted and rare. If they have been alone for a long time, prolly prefer it that way.
regards,
daemon

George Macdonald Frasier
New And wouldn't they be thinking the same of him?
===

New naw, they can see he has "things"
but figure its too hard to separate him from them.
regards,
daemon
George Macdonald Frasier
New Re: Yeah, cynical
Umm- you dont wear that helmet all the time, do you? I dont think chicks dig helmets.

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New Yeah, they love stogies though.
AG looks more conventionally civilized [link|http://www.aaxnet.com/images/ajg02a.jpg|here].

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, at least Monica does

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
New She's a "special case", I think.
New Okay, you're cool now in my book.
New Ummm ... odd that's what it takes
===

New Agree to Disagree
While I still hold my ground, I graciously concede from this debate. Kind of sorry I brought the whole thing up!

Final comments:

1.\tI agree that marketing and cultural expectations play a major role in how we ALL present ourselves. For example, there is a commercial for underarm deodorant that attempts to convince women we need this product because it is important to have well-moisturized underarms. Good luck trying to sell that. But I still refuse to believe that men don\ufffdt respond to our primping and you\ufffdll never convince me otherwise.

2.\tAnd for the record, I rarely wear makeup and spend about 10 minutes primping in front of the mirror. My usual attire is jeans and tennis shoes. My underarms are un-moisturized and I\ufffdm still damn cute. For the most part, I\ufffdm oblivious to what happens on Madison Ave (unless I\ufffdm walking on Madison Ave and am about to get hit by a car)

\ufffdCant we all just get along?\ufffd- Rodney King

New Apparently not . . . .
. . Rodney King keeps ending up in jail.
New :-) Er... :-/
New Yes, please, new topic
you start.

New Are You Kidding?!?
I think I started enough already. You go first.
New Just to warn you ahead of time...
If you see something at the bottom of one of the forum pages here that looks strangely familiar, and in fact you could absolutely just swear that you wrote that somewhere...

Then you're probably right.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New LPRDism Spotting!
New What is this LRPD you speak of ?
Seriously- what does it stand for?
New Little Red Plasma Dot literally
There is also a random comment at the bottom of the page which is also referred to as an LRPD. It is taken from posts and books and Monty Python skits and ...

The serious addicts keep refreshing pages to see the messages change. They are sometimes rather apropos of the post thread above. Sometimes just random.
New Please do not spit too loud, thank you.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New And we hug around the weasels.

New ObLRPD: Finding him was pure luck.
--

[link|http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134485&cid=11233230|"Microsoft Security" is an even better oxymoron than "Miltary Intelligence"]
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
New Just slightly more difficult than choosing your parents.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New It's administration policy.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Yeah, but they were all dying of the plague anyway...
--

New My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant
life form had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt.
--

New No one wins in an LRPD eating contest.
New OK, you're chuffed. Whatever that means.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Hey - That's mine! YAY!
And Peter, you never responded.
New You got the chainsaw. Now find some meat!
I love this thing...
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I'm sure I've heard those last 3 lines in an unsavoury movie
me too:)

New Splat.
New What was it about again? (new thread)
Created as new thread #194759 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=194759|What was it about again?]

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New I'd probably enjoy it, actually.
New I've started a couple
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=194402|Jump] [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=194403|in] [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=194460|whenever].

New Re: Are You Kidding?!?
Nicely done arabesque. :-)

You might find [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=194512| this one] to clear air of any remote whiff of piling-on..

I think the right-brain / left-brain artifice is as good a start as any, in trying to fathom the perpetual dullardness of males re females; especially in this culture! where the Puritan roots guarantee the ~Worst in rationalizing of patronizing behavior as, er:
The Natural Order (ie The Story *I* Like) cha cha cha

New Nicely done arabesque. :-)
Yeah, I thought so. :-)
New Can we be the judges?
and I’m still damn cute. ;-)
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New if she posts here
of course she's damn cute. Dont drive em off unescessarily, besides what do you care, chitown is a long way from the twin cities.
regaeds,
daemon
George Macdonald Frasier
New Kewl, posting here
Makes women damn cute.

And men? Extraordinarily handsome and provides 'em with super powers...

Gee, even Marlowe?

[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]

For evidence read, seems that the men here are "well rounded".... ;-j

And to Bionerd, Welcome. I've enjoy reading your posts. Keep it up, it's great to see someone take on the guys.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New OK, I'm going to back off a little here . . .
. . and admit that a woman might actually want to concentrate on attracting a man. How is that to be done when cosmetics, celulite treatments, fancy hair styles and the fashion industry are all for one-upping other women?

Basics are not to be too scrawney, have good posture, seem pleasant and approachable, and keep your hair as long as she can properly manage it. Forget fancy hair styling, noticeable makeup and perfumes (unless you want to hook a lounge lizard).

The real key though is clothes. Not high fashion or hooker style clothes but clothes you know how to wear and know make you look good - to men. A woman who wears her cloths well can look enticing in anything she selects (because, of course, she selects what she looks good in). For others it may take a little more effort. I guess you learn by ignoring the fashion ads and watching other women.

I remember when I worked for a place that did electronic assembly many long years ago. The assemblers then were a mix of white women (mostly lesbians) and Mexican girls. Let me tell you those Mexicn girls knew how to dress and they dressed to kill, even for work on an assembly line.
New One other thing
Outside of Appalachia, American men seem to have an almost universal disdain for snaggleteeth.
===

New We've certainly given you a hard start...
I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.

I well remember that just a few years ago when I was in academia I would have taken great offence at the views that I've been describing, and would have argued against them with great force, if not substance.

Hopefully we'll find other discussion topics that generate energy and interest where you'll not feel quite so overwhelmed.

Cheers,
Ben
New Not overwhelmed
Pooped
New I hope it is all in group!
--

New Re: Reality isn't fair
  • Are there any famous people that you'd sleep with if you got the chance? I'm not asking whether you're trying to land them, but if the opportunity arose to spend time on Brad Pitt's lap or cozied up with Pierce Brosnin, would you turn it down? (If they don't turn your crank, then substitute people who are more to your taste.)

• Nah, I don't want to sleep with anyone famous. Now meet them, that's a different story. I'd give anything to meet Harrison Ford, or Mario Lemieux, for example, but kiss them? Sleep with them? Nah. Hug maybe, but that's all. I don't even care to see them naked.

• Looking back on your past boyfriends, what is the nice guy/jerk ratio? What reason do you have to believe that your next guy is going to be better than the last few? (Most of us keep on recreating the same relationship over and over again..)

• I'm not sure on this one because one guy was a nice guy and became a jerk later... Lesseee... plus I don't know if it counts if they weren't really boyfriends.. I haven't had many. But counting actual boyfriends, (i.e. people I went out with on some sort of regular basis), I had one nice guy, then the abusive guy who acted like a nice guy on the outside then became an abusive jerk, then another nice guy who was rich, but just not my style, and then the jerk ex-fiance. Then I found John, and he is all nice guy, nothing jerky about him.

so lets see, that's 3 nice guys and two jerks? What does that say about me, Ben?

Nightowl >8#

New It says that you're odd. But we knew that.
    New I'm not.
    Here's the thing, chaps.

If a woman says you're a nice man, and doesn't shag you, then you may have to face up to the fact that you're ugly/boring/smelly/too fat/too thin/have bad hair/prone to discussing SDRAM in the pub/etc.

I've known a lot of women who got into relationships with idiots. Guess what? Only some of them are still in relationships with idiots. And further guess what? They're idiots, too.

Doesn't stop them being my friends, though. If idiocy was an overriding factor in friendship, we'd all be very lonely.

The attempts of some posters in this thread to paint this as a "woman thing" makes me wonder if we haven't opened some internet time portal to 1975.

In the meantime, marry me. I'm all of those things, and I'm nice.[0]
    [0] Not a serious offer. Good for one time only. One offer per household. I may not actually be nice, famous, rich, or gorgeous. This is a joke.

Peter
    [link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
    [link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
    [link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
    Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
    New Will be happy to accept your proposal
    Providing you're as nice as you say and dont smell bad.

djmoou85@sbcglobal.net
    New Peter's SWMBO probably wouldn't be pleased.
    SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed.

:-)

Thanks for sticking around. Don't feel needled - many folks here like challenging conversation.

Cheers,
    Scott.
    New And you'd have to go to England
    which, given that you're in Michigan, I guess would seem kind of homey weather wise.

Seriously, we're only arguing with you because we're eggheads and like to argue. Please feel free to find a new topic to argue about.

As for mostly being married - funny how that happened. Seems that when we got onto this board most of us were single.

New Some of us still are
    ~~~)-Steven----

General George S. Patton
    New I went the opposite
    I was married when I first got with this group and now I'm not. I did notice that I got hit on much more often when I had a wedding ring on*. Of course it probably didn't hurt that I was a manager making a metric buttload of money at the time.

*I was good. Never took up any of the offers till after the wife and I got separated. Now before I was married was a whole different ballgame. There was a time when "sex, drugs and rock and roll" was more than just a saying for me.
    -----------------------------------------
    "In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
    -- H. L. Mencken
    New 'Latino Cupid'
    The La Cucaracha comic strip in the Los Angeles Times is running a series entitled Latino Cupid. In this mornings edition, the Latino Cupid says:

"Muchachos! The ladies HATE Jerks! These days you must become a sensitive, caring metrosexual type. Take out the Trash, Wear a sun dress. Be a "Girlie Man". Then give your lady my pnone number, 555-JERK."
    New sympathy/revenge sex works well for B types
    when the lady is horked at the A list an enterprising B list can be sympathetic and on the receiving end of revenge sex. If your single and playing the field revenge sex is hotter and wilder than most other types. Women will use you like a farm animal.
    thanx,

bill
    All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
    [link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
    questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
         Even penguins pay for love - (lincoln) - (129)
             It's universal - (bionerd) - (128)
                 or at all if they get paid in advance, evidently :) -NT - (Steven A S) - (2)
                     So it's true - (bionerd) - (1)
                         zero-sum-game - (imric)
                 So what you're saying . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (124)
                     As B Russell(?) is reputed to have said: "We have already... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Ummm . . . don't think it was Churchill. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Keep on guessing (last guess: B. Russell) - (ben_tilly)
                     Oh, come on - (bionerd) - (120)
                         Maybe I'm doing something wrong then. - (admin) - (2)
                             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             I don't understand, then - (imric)
                         Oh, the males do a little more than that - (tuberculosis) - (32)
                             Okay, so maybe I was being a little facetious, but - (bionerd) - (30)
                                 Yes you do - (drewk) - (18)
                                     Hmmmm - (bionerd) - (17)
                                         Re: Hmmmm - (admin) - (16)
                                             Not all for herself - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                                 You all dont get it - (bionerd) - (14)
                                                     Madison Avenue - (imric) - (4)
                                                         Not mud wrestling? -NT - (bionerd) - (1)
                                                             Well, OK - (imric)
                                                         You're a... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                             Yeah; I, too, always identify with Oxberger (Candy). -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                     Yes and no - (Steven A S) - (2)
                                                         Bingo. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                             That's why... - (Steven A S)
                                                     No. You don't get it. - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                         And Madison Avenue desperately wants to keep it that way. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                             I'm sure it was someone here who pointed this out - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                 Yeah, it was probably me . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                         Re: No. You don't get it. - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                             Good for you! -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                 This convo makes me glad... - (Nightowl)
                                 I must also protest this point. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     +5, Insightful. - (static)
                                 You should read this article. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                     Pretty good, but I think he's missing a factor. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     He mised a point in that article - (daemon)
                                     Wonder why he didn't mention Desmond Morris. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Ask him. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                             I'm not that interested. Thanks though. :-) - (Another Scott)
                                 No, not you one upping (upping one?) - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                     I nominate this for an LRPD (new thread) - (lincoln)
                             without the desire to mate there would be dam little bathing -NT - (daemon)
                         Apparently . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                             You missed my point - (bionerd) - (7)
                                 Biologist != Dr Phil - (folkert)
                                 Because I'm yanking your chain to see if you bite. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                     I bite :-) -NT - (bionerd) - (4)
                                         Where? How hard? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                             A lady never bites and tells -NT - (bionerd) - (2)
                                                 Monica did. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     Monica is not a lady -NT - (bionerd)
                         burden of attracting a male? - (ben_tilly) - (74)
                             The 'jerk factor' - (Andrew Grygus) - (72)
                                 Unfair! - (bionerd) - (70)
                                     Then you are an exception. - (inthane-chan)
                                     Can't half tell we're primarily a bunch of computer nerds... - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                         Never mind. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                         Verifiable statement - (ChrisR)
                                     Again, that's what you SAY you want. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                         God, you're exhausting! -NT - (bionerd) - (4)
                                             Yes, and it's time to let you rest. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                 Round 2 - (bionerd) - (2)
                                                     Yes - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                     Sorry 'bout that - (drewk)
                                     Oh, they all say that - (tuberculosis)
                                     Reality isn't fair - (ben_tilly) - (52)
                                         3rd Degree - (bionerd) - (49)
                                             OT: Posting tips. - (Another Scott)
                                             This was not intended as hazing - (ben_tilly) - (47)
                                                 Yeah, cynical - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                                                     That is unusual - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                         It ain' I that . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                     prolly - (daemon) - (2)
                                                         And wouldn't they be thinking the same of him? -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                                             naw, they can see he has "things" - (daemon)
                                                     Re: Yeah, cynical - (bionerd) - (5)
                                                         Yeah, they love stogies though. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                             Well, at least Monica does -NT - (bionerd) - (3)
                                                                 She's a "special case", I think. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                 Okay, you're cool now in my book. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                                     Ummm ... odd that's what it takes -NT - (drewk)
                                                 Agree to Disagree - (bionerd) - (34)
                                                     Apparently not . . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                         :-) Er... :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Yes, please, new topic - (tuberculosis) - (23)
                                                         Are You Kidding?!? - (bionerd) - (22)
                                                             Just to warn you ahead of time... - (admin) - (18)
                                                                 LPRDism Spotting! -NT - (Another Scott) - (17)
                                                                     What is this LRPD you speak of ? - (bionerd) - (16)
                                                                         Little Red Plasma Dot literally - (hnick) - (15)
                                                                             Please do not spit too loud, thank you. -NT - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                 And we hug around the weasels. -NT - (bepatient) - (13)
                                                                                     ObLRPD: Finding him was pure luck. -NT - (folkert) - (12)
                                                                                         Just slightly more difficult than choosing your parents. -NT - (admin) - (11)
                                                                                             It's administration policy. -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                                                                                 Yeah, but they were all dying of the plague anyway... -NT - (folkert)
                                                                                             My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant - (folkert) - (8)
                                                                                                 No one wins in an LRPD eating contest. -NT - (broomberg) - (7)
                                                                                                     OK, you're chuffed. Whatever that means. -NT - (admin) - (5)
                                                                                                         Hey - That's mine! YAY! - (broomberg) - (3)
                                                                                                             You got the chainsaw. Now find some meat! - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                                 I'm sure I've heard those last 3 lines in an unsavoury movie - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                 Splat. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                                         What was it about again? (new thread) - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                     I'd probably enjoy it, actually. -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                             I've started a couple - (tuberculosis)
                                                             Re: Are You Kidding?!? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                 Nicely done arabesque. :-) - (bionerd)
                                                     Can we be the judges? - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                                         if she posts here - (daemon) - (1)
                                                             Kewl, posting here - (jbrabeck)
                                                     OK, I'm going to back off a little here . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                         One other thing - (drewk)
                                                     We've certainly given you a hard start... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                         Not overwhelmed - (bionerd) - (1)
                                                             I hope it is all in group! -NT - (folkert)
                                         Re: Reality isn't fair - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                             It says that you're odd. But we knew that. -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                     I'm not. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                         Will be happy to accept your proposal - (bionerd) - (4)
                                             Peter's SWMBO probably wouldn't be pleased. - (Another Scott)
                                             And you'd have to go to England - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                 Some of us still are -NT - (Steven A S)
                                                 I went the opposite - (Silverlock)
                                 'Latino Cupid' - (Andrew Grygus)
                             sympathy/revenge sex works well for B types - (boxley)