IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Certificate didn't help
Last month I obtained a "ColdFusion Advanced Developer" cert, and so far it has made diddly-squat difference. Perhaps it's time to switch specialties or fields. W's Recovery Train seems to have been hijacked to India. Non-cubicle jobs are booming. A friend suggested that I cold-call small companies and ask to see if they need any computer solutions and undercut their current consultant's prices. I can hand off networking issues to buddies. But, cold-calling makes me nervious. How does one psych themselves up for cold calling?

It might be a good idea to prepare a list of questions you expect to get and what you will say. And if somebody hits you with one you didn't expect, write it down and work out a better answer later.

The only thing you really need is to work out how much you will charge ahead of time. If you get somebody that claims to be getting the work cheaper already, tell them they are getting a good deal and move on. The better small buisness guys will haggle you down to nothing if you let them.

Jay
New Use phone book, or walk-in? Thanx

Once you get the banter down and can do the sales speak easily, I would expect you to have better chances in person. That is assuming you are targeting companies small enough that you can walk in and talk to the person making decisions. Being there in person tends to make the impact of how you come across stronger, for better or worse.

I tried doing the consultant thing for a while. But I could never handle the sales banter thing. I never had a client I worked for become unhappy with the work, but I could never get enough clients to support myself.

Jay

[edit|spelling]
Expand Edited by JayMehaffey Feb. 9, 2005, 01:01:06 PM EST
     Certificate didn't help - (tablizer) - (3)
         Get practice - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             Use phone book, or walk-in? Thanx -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                 Start with phone - (JayMehaffey)

Ho ho, then you ain't gettin' no Coke!
63 ms