IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New RIAA sues dead woman

Death is no obstacle to feeling the long arm of the Recording Industry Ass. of America.

Lawyers representing several record companies have filed suit against an 83 year-old woman who died in December, claiming that she made more than 700 songs available on the internet.

[link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/05/riaa_sues_the_dead/|the register]
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New What's very disconcerting
In 2003 the RIAA sued a twelve year-old girl for copyright infringement. She'd harbored an MP3 file of her favorite TV show on her hard drive. Her working class parents in a housing project in New York were forced to pay two thousand dollars in a settlement.

emphasis added

I save several TV shows a week on a hard drive. It's called TiVo!
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New And how does that differ
from (presumably) all the hours of shows, movies, etc., which folks have stored on VHS? do they, technically, also become a target.

brings new meaning to this f*cking ownership society. you better patent _your_self_ damn fast before someone buys and sells you.

thanks
mx.
"I'm man enough to tell you that I can't put my finger on
exactly what my philosophy is now, but I'm flexible."
-- Malcolm X
New Do you suppose
that the abbreviation was intentional?

>Recording Industry Ass. of America

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Yes.
The Register is quite careful about using that particular abbreviation. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Well, they should be careful about that . . .
. . because if she's been sent to Hell she can probably get some damned good lawyers.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New :-) Speaking of lawyers...
[link|http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-lawyer-jokes,0,7833800.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines|AP on Newsday] - the URL will probably change:

February 8, 2005, 1:46 PM EST

NEW YORK -- A man arrested after telling lawyer jokes at a courthouse got the last laugh when a grand jury dismissed the disorderly conduct charge against him.

"It's still legal in America to tell jokes -- even about lawyers," said 70-year-old Harvey Kash's lawyer, Ron Kuby, about Monday's decision.

Kash testified he was exercising his First Amendment right when he shared a few lawyer jokes with his friend, Carl Lanzisera, 65, as they waited to enter a Long Island courthouse last month.

Kash and Lanzisera are founders of Americans for Legal Reform, a group that uses confrontational tactics to urge greater public access to the courts. They said they have mocked lawyers outside courts for years.

"How do you tell when a lawyer is lying?" Kash reportedly asked.

"His lips are moving," the pair howled in unison.

Some people giggled, but a lawyer in the line told them to pipe down and reported them to court officers. They were arrested for allegedly being abusive and causing a disturbance.

The charge against Lanzisera was dropped because of insufficient evidence.

Cheers,
Scott.
     RIAA sues dead woman - (lincoln) - (6)
         What's very disconcerting - (Steven A S) - (1)
             And how does that differ - (xtensive)
         Do you suppose - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Yes. - (admin)
         Well, they should be careful about that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             :-) Speaking of lawyers... - (Another Scott)

And to the tune of a billion dollars I supplied to the DOE some tasty little nuggets of alien technology... and as one might expect I've been HARASSED for YEARS!
127 ms