IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Source archiving for PC, Linux AND MAC?!?
Geez, you don't set the bar too high, do you?

Well, if money is no object (and there is an administrator available...that would be you, wouldn't it...) then ClearCase is probably the best. It supports remote clients well, and looks to the users as if it is a hard drive (on windows) or a file system (on Linux). So archiving things is only a little more complicated than getting a file from your hard drive. and, directories are also archived, so the entire archiev hierarchy can be rolled back. It can be hosted on either Linux or Windows, and either hosting supports both Windows and Linux clients. But no Mac :-(. It's also expen$ive.

Now, if you have to run Mac clients as well...well, perhaps CVS would do the trick. Not nearly as nice as ClearCase, but you can't beat the price (it's Open Source). Furthermore, Eclipse has a nice set of plug-ins for it that provide a nice user front end for CVS (almost as nice as ClearCase's). I believe that clients already exist for Mac, and it can be hosted practially anywhere. downsides include all the normal OSS downsides: No useful documentation, help from the community as opposed to a help desk (Hey,...that may actually be an advantage...).

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with....
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Re: Source archiving for PC, Linux AND MAC?!?
Well, if money is no object (and there is an administrator available...that would be you, wouldn't it...) then ClearCase is probably the best.

My estimated budget is roughly $0.00. So I'm going to have to go open source and recycled hardware where ever possible.

And in my case I do have to have Mac support. Both of the artists used Mac's for artwork and some HTML coding. And avoiding conflicts where I'm working on the code and they are changing the artwork at the same time is one of the big goals here.

Jay
     Software and hardware advice - (JayMehaffey) - (24)
         Backups are problematic, IMO. RAID + external USB HD. - (Another Scott) - (9)
             'Tape - I hate tape - there's nothing worse than tape - - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                 with Andrew but a step further - (daemon)
                 For the cost of the... - (folkert) - (6)
                     SDLT vs AIT... - (pwhysall)
                     SATA? No way. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                         What You Said. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         Re: SATA? No way. Huh? - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Isn't that what happens when - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Umgawa, meatus -NT - (Ashton)
         Source archiving for PC, Linux AND MAC?!? - (jb4) - (1)
             Re: Source archiving for PC, Linux AND MAC?!? - (JayMehaffey)
         Yes, I do. - (folkert)
         Source Control. - (static) - (9)
             AccuRev, Perforce, CVS, Subversion - (tonytib) - (8)
                 +1 on Subversion - (FuManChu) - (7)
                     Subversion is excellent now - (admin) - (6)
                         Yup. LOVE TortoiseSVN. Any tips on binary diff'ers? - (FuManChu) - (5)
                             Gosh if you find one... - (folkert) - (4)
                                 CSDiff looks promising, but I don't have time to try it atm -NT - (FuManChu) - (3)
                                     GAH! Win32 only... ICK! -NT - (folkert) - (2)
                                         What, you want an MSWord differ on nix? >:) -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                             I shouldn't even dignify this with a reply... but - (folkert)
         Maybe something else to consider: iBackup - (Another Scott)

Just a little peril?
85 ms