IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You lot seem to be quite sodden. But where's the wine?
What with the semi-regular comparing of beers, spirits and cocktails.

Meanwhile I've found a red wine I like. This is no mean feat when I usually prefer Cointreu + something when I want alcohol. The red wine in question is called Hazelgrove and hails from around Adelaide. I discovered it by a friend of a friend who got a cleanskin (i.e. unlabeled) straight from the vineyard, which means it may have another name*. I'm told it's normally AU$30 a bottle. I got mine for AU$12.

I really don't know how to describe wine, but I'd call one quite dark with a deep, full flavour. Unfortunately, I can't remember if it's a Shiraz or a Cabernaut Merlot. Or even something different.

I know, I know ... you've probably never heard of it: I've yet to spot it in a bottle shop and I can't find anything much in Google. So what.

Wade.

* My fiance scored a cleanskin bottle of LimeLight from the same vineyard: it normally retails for AU$70; we got it for AU$20. I'm quite looking forward to that.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New An all time favorite
Cakebread Cellars Cabernet. Big nose, currants and chocolate with a strong finish. Stands up even to buffalo wings.
-----------------------------------------
How do you convince a Washington Journalist that you're not slapping him in the face?

Tell him you're not.
New wine gripe
how bout a wine flavored wine, it is after all rotted grapes, mucking about with flavored casks is crap.
Cheap good wine
any of the hungarian reds if you can find them anymore
mateus
mouton cadet
B&G villages
Pere Ancien
Poully Fusse (okay not cheap but good at least)
the only california wine thats drinkable Paisano by gallo
chianti (not cheap any more)
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
New I'm quite fond of Zins
Red ones 'natch.

Big peppery ones with a bit of fruit.

Zinfandel was planted by the acre during the depression because they are so hearty and prolific and zin was really cheap for a long time (and a bit looked down on because of its common-ness).

Sadly, I'm not finding it that cheap these days (my cheap is about $7 per bottle).

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:07:50 AM EDT
New Yup, Zins are good - in red.
We have Barefoot Zinfandel at $3.95 here ("Consistent quality - 5 gold medals since 1998"). OK, I don't know where the gold medals came from either (they don't say on the label) but it's sound wine at a good price. This is from the outfit that got sued by Baron you know who for labeling a short run "Chateau La Foot".

That all Zinfandel isn't red is a story of market projections in a fickle market. Responding to a gourmet trend, California vinyards planted vast acres of Zinfandel grapes, but before the vines matured the market shifted to wine coolers and other "downscale" abominations. Some magazine must have written an "anti-snob" article and all the yuppies jumped on the latest trend. The wineries quickly started draining the juice off the skins right after crushing to produce "Pink Zinfandel" and satisfy the demand for peasant swill.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Well, we have plenty of Hungarian reds around here . .
. . but I certainly don't give the primacy over the low cost French and California reds.

As the Wall Street Journal's taste testers noted with some distress, pannel members primarily from a food background favored the cheaper wines. This I find quite reasonable (having yesterday finished a bottle of Baron Philippe de Rothschild Mouton Cadet $6.95 followed by a California Purple Moon Shiraz $4.95. Yes, the Frog wine was more sophisticated, but not so much as I'd really notice a lot drinking it with dinner.

Now you may be excused for your claim that Gallo is the only drinkable California wine because we probably don't export anything drinkable under $12 a bottle, 'cause domestic consumption is sufficient to absorb anything drinkable below that (plus half the production of Australia, Chile and Argentina) - and what I get for $3.95/$4.95 in Los Angeles probably fetches $10+ bucks elsewhere.

It reminds me of a cookbook author from back in the days when all cookbooks were published in New York by authors living in New York. In describing olive oil he lamented that the very best oils are made in Italy, but, "Unfortunately they don't export those grades" (ever been suspicious of labels proclaiming "export quality"?). He continued, "Fortunately oils equal to the very best Italian are made in California. Unfortunately, they don't export them either".

Side note: I've been a bit shy of Australian reds (and I rarely drink whites) recently because some have given me an awful case of tintinitis. When you can hear your ears ringing in freeway traffic, it's really not good. Prudent doses of Ginko Biloba (approved treatment for tintinitis in Germany) seem to help.

I did get to execute a supurb wine snob putdown a few montha ago. Listed as owner of a DB rated business I get some "interesting" calls. I got one from a "wine club", providing "executives" with "really great wines at really great prices" in case lots. After suffering through his pitch for an initial sample case order at only $21 per bottle (worth far more), I informed him in my most disdainful tone, "We don't drink $20 bottles of wine here". End of call.
New Huh?
Wine flavored wine? Currants and chocolate is a description of the subtle undertones of the wine, not a listing of extra ingredients or "flavored casks" (which I have never heard of till now).
-----------------------------------------
How do you convince a Washington Journalist that you're not slapping him in the face?

Tell him you're not.
New Kinda geek-speak for winos
New Sebastiani Pinot Noir. 'Nuff said.
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
     You lot seem to be quite sodden. But where's the wine? - (static) - (8)
         An all time favorite - (Silverlock) - (6)
             wine gripe - (daemon) - (5)
                 I'm quite fond of Zins - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     Yup, Zins are good - in red. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Well, we have plenty of Hungarian reds around here . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Huh? - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     Kinda geek-speak for winos -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Sebastiani Pinot Noir. 'Nuff said. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Just slightly more difficult than choosing your parents.
46 ms