IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New Cars / Used Cars
Our 98 Windstar is pushing 100,000, so we're starting to look.

The Windstar has been about average, probably. We had a recent $600 repair to fix some idle valves in the intake manifold. Basically, the valves weren't working correctly and the car was idling rough and dying. No big engine/transmission problems. The A/C has gone out twice, but we were able to repair under a 75,000 mile warranty. But, alas, the WindStar is no more. We would need to look at a FreeStar.

Right now, we can get a really good deal on a Town & Country. We've been seeing ones with leather and everything discounted by 5-6000 here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Sticker $32,000, they are willing to sell it for $26,000 (and I think I can probably get them down from that). We're concerned about the reliability, because my boss had 3 transmissions put in his Caravan, which is the same platform.

My wife has the SUV bug. Gas mileage on Durango, Expedition, Explorer, Pilot, Envoy and most others is not great. We have 3 kids, so we want something with 3 rows or lots of elbow room.

I'm trying to get mileage, and the VANs generally have better mileage than the SUVs.

We are looking at Pacifica, Pilot, Honda Odessey, Nissan Quest and the Town & Country. And maybe the FreeStar, but my wife says it looks goofy.

Or I can get a used Volvo, 65k miles for about $11,000. S80 Turbo. From a friend. Transferable 80,000 mile warranty. I'm concerned that the falling dollar will make it expensive to maintain.

The wife wants a new or slightly used Volvo XC 90, but they freakin' $42,000!!!! If we're buying new, I want to spend $20-$25k and used about $12k.

Glen

New Maintenance
Volvos are a FORTUNE to maintain. Turbos wear out and will need to be replaced at the low hudreds and you'll be looking at 3 grand min to fix.

We're looking at the Hyundai Santa Fe and Tuscon...but they are one row short for you. Great warranty though, even if they are a bit underpowered (which helps with mileage).
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I had a Volvo turbo
You're right that the turbo is a PITA. And will blow. Plan on it. (It is no fun to realize that you can't see the road behind you because of smoke from your car.)

Other than that, parts might have cost a lot but it didn't need many.

My experience was with the 240 series though. I have no experience with later models.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Hmmmm I have 1989 Volvo
with 190k miles on it. Bought on ebay for about $1700. I put a little money into it for brakes and such and its been trouble free for a year (fingers crossed).

Had college roomie with volvo wagon that went 700k before being killed in collision so I'm thinking its got a few more miles left in it (and I only drive on weekends anyhow).

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:53:16 AM EDT
New I'm on my third Volvo.
They do use a better grade of materials in their parts. The cars can last. On the flip side when these parts go, they are expensive and so is the labor cost. Even parts like a battery which except for the dimensions will cost noticeably more than a battery of identical performance specification but of different shape.

It's what's called "eating high on hog".
Alex

In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet (1772-1834)
New Any repair bill over a kilobuck
is likely to result in abandonment. There's plenty more beaters on ebay where that one came from.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:54:24 AM EDT
New Just went through the exact issue
Wife's Windstar, with a rebuilt engine, died at 140K.
Ben is too big for the back seat of most cars.
Barb did not want another van, ie: too much of a mom-mobile.
Ended up with a Kia Sorrento.
New will run you about $22K for my model, mine was $15.5 used w/ 5K miles.
New If you can afford it
go with the Honda Odyssey. Everyone I know who has one simply RAVE about theirs. No one seems to have had any problems with them at all. And all are in the 1 to 3 year old range.

Just my .02
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Asked my auto repair guy what he would buy

After dropping my 94 Buick off for another $5-600 spa visit.

I was told Hondas just run and run, so I guess that's my next ride.

Tom Sinclair

I think that sick people in Ankh-Morpork generally go to a vet. It's
generally a better bet. There's more pressure on a vet to get it right.
People say "it was god's will" when granny dies, but they get *angry* when
they lose a cow.
-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
New Consider this a rave!
Got one...like it quite a bit.

And I agree w/ BeeP (egads!!!) about the Volvo. fine cars...but very expensive to maintain.
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New As we know, cars are money pits.
Unless you buy a classic, you're always going to lose money on them. And even then it's not a sure thing.

Gas is expensive, and probably isn't going to get cheaper over the next 7-10 years. But $15k will buy 6000 gallons at $2.50/gallon. At 15 mpg that would be 90,000 miles. So it may make sense to get a cheaper vehicle even if it gets lower mileage.

Driving an American vehicle off the lot usually gives an immedate hit in its value. That's an advantage of buying a recent used vehicle - the initial depretiation has already happened, but you have to consider warranty issues, costs of financing (usually higher for a used vehicle), etc.

From a cost-of-ownership standpoint, if you plan on replacing it every 7-10 years, my suggestion would be to get the cheapest vehicle that fits your needs. Maybe a Kia or Suzuki or something similar. But since Detroit is hurting you might be able to get a US vehicle for only a little more.

I got a new car last November. I wanted a small manual transmission wagon that rode well, got very good mileage, and felt solid. We looked at a Toyota Matrix (which felt too much like a van to me and had lots of plastic bits that looked like they wouldn't last, and it seemed overpriced to me) and a VW Jetta wagon. There wasn't much of competition in my opinion. The [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=124780|VW Jetta TDI wagon] is what we got. I get 42-44 mpg commuting to work and 52 mpg on the highway at 60 mph. Diesel is sometimes cheaper than regular, sometimes slightly more. It's got 12,000 miles on it now and has had no problems. I'm very happy and plan on keeping it at least 10 years. But it would probably be too small for your family. VWs get quite expensive as they get bigger. You probably don't want a Touareg. ;-)

My opinion is that most/all of the cars you can buy in the US now are of reasonable quality. Just about every manufacturer can have a lemon (though they're rare for Toyota and Honda). If you get a good warranty, and have a spare vehicle that you can use in case there are problems, then repairs shouldn't be much of an issue (other than the aggravation and a deductable in some cases).

Buying used can be a crapshoot unless you know the previous owner and have some idea how well it was cared for. My grandfather bought a few cars (a couple of Buick LeSabres and later a Cadillac something-or-other) from Budget Car Rental and was happy with them, but those cars probably weren't driven as hard as a minivan or SUV would have been. I wouldn't go that way myself, but it might be worth considering in your case. I don't think they're especially cheap.

Check out [link|http://www.edmunds.com|Edmunds] and [link|http://www.consumerreports.org|Consumer Reports] for other opinions, but remember that it's more common for people to complain about how much bad luck they've had, or sing the praises of a vehicle - most people don't bother, so average opinions probably won't be posted.

If it were me, looking for a minivan for a large family, I'd probably try to find a 2-3 year old Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna, but only if it was substantially cheaper than a new one and didn't have a lot of miles. My bias on the US side is toward Ford, but for no particular reason. But since this type of vehicle was never of interest to me, I can only give you initial impressions.

HTH a bit. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Two excellent resources for car owners.
[link|http://www.parkers.co.uk|Parker’s] is very good for working out whether you’re about to be stitched up.

[link|http://www.carsurvey.org/|carsurvey.org] is the biggest collection of owner reviews I’ve found.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
New The immediate hit is for a reason
If you just bought the car, why do you want to sell it? The fear is that it is because it is a lemon.

This is less of a concern now that lots of people lease to buy (and then don't always buy). But it is still a concern.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Go with the the Caravan
Had a '94. Blew tranny at 130k (in the middle of North Dakota, so couldn't get it fixed). Never a problem until then. Pulled low 20 mpg.

Currently driving a 92' Caravan with 145k.

From what I've heard, tranny is a concern, but I've had good luck. /me knocks on wooden head.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New We're on our second..I like them a lot.
The first was a 95 we got with 150K on it for a song. Drove it for a couple of years, with very little issues. The biggest problem was the trans leaked pretty good, needed topped off about weekly. We sold it at 190K. We picked up a 97 with 65K on it just under 2 years ago. I just put front brakes on it last weekend, and that's first maintenance it's had other than oil changes. Has 97K on it now, and runs like a top.
--
Steve
New we have a Caravan too
a '95 Caravan with > 150,000 miles. The only problem we've had with the tranny is a leaky seal. We've been putting transmission fluid in it every couple of thousand miles for the past 3 years. Recently we've had trouble with the brake lights not going out. Seems to be an issue with the sensor on the brake pedal. Other than that it's been great. If you can find a used one that hasn't had transmission problems, or one that has had it's transmission problems fixed, you can probably get a good deal on it.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New My Next Car...
...will, unless I change my mind again, be a BMW 316i, about 5 years old, hopefully sub-50K on the clock.

Initial investigations indicate that this can be achieved for about \ufffd5000.

In a couple of years my company share-save scheme will mature, and I hope that this will pay for the car.

/me works extra hard to inflate the Serco share price :-)

[Edit: wrong model]

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 21, 2004, 01:50:54 AM EST
New Rah Rah Serco Rah! :-)
New late 80's lincoln town car, $1500-1800 low miles clean
50-60k miles no body damage, everything working. They have room for 3 in the back, milage is 20 town 28 highway and when you stick your foot in it, you get gone. Cruise very sweet at 90-110 mph nd built safe, why not its the ultimate American Luxury car. Usually go till 200k and parts are off the shelf, repairs also.

Vans, wait until the one you have pukes and quits terminally before you buy, you wont get anything in trade anyway and a used car rental weekly is cheap until you pick out your new one. 100-150 per week wet lease, heck dollar has a weekly rental on a van most places pretty cheap.

good luck,
regards,
daemon

that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
     New Cars / Used Cars - (gdaustin) - (18)
         Maintenance - (bepatient) - (4)
             I had a Volvo turbo - (ben_tilly)
             Hmmmm I have 1989 Volvo - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 I'm on my third Volvo. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Any repair bill over a kilobuck - (tuberculosis)
         Just went through the exact issue - (broomberg)
         If you can afford it - (lincoln) - (2)
             Asked my auto repair guy what he would buy - (tjsinclair)
             Consider this a rave! - (jb4)
         As we know, cars are money pits. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Two excellent resources for car owners. - (pwhysall)
             The immediate hit is for a reason - (ben_tilly)
         Go with the the Caravan - (jbrabeck) - (2)
             We're on our second..I like them a lot. - (Steve Lowe)
             we have a Caravan too - (cforde)
         My Next Car... - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Rah Rah Serco Rah! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         late 80's lincoln town car, $1500-1800 low miles clean - (daemon)

YOU are gonna lecture ME on 'clear prose'?
91 ms