IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sega Dreamcast
I'm not a console guy. OK, wasn't. I put the blame squarely upon the shoulders of Crazy Txi and Crazy Taxi II. I was at a friends place, he'd been hooked by Crazy Taxi whilst down the shops and therefore bought himself a Dreamcast. As you do :)

And so, addictive as it is, I ended up getting one too. Now they're cheap-as-chippies, $199 (Aus) isn't much to spend considering how much technology is packed up into the little thing. I figure Sega must just have bad advertising because I reckon it's a system that actually deserved to succeed.

Yes, graphics are impressive, I believe the graphic engine isn't as good as the one on PS2, but at least as far as Crazy Taxi goes, I can't pick the difference.

The thing that I think is really cool is the 'visual memory unit', like, a memory card. Except it plugs into the controller, and has a little LCD screen in it. So while you're playing games the LCD display can offer additional information (though I must admit it usually doesn't). But, it also has controls so you can use your memory unit as a game in itself when away from your Dreamcast. The game that takes most advantage so far that I've found is Sonic Adventure II, where, to cut a long story short, you find little creatures in the game that will basically function as a souped-up tamagotchi when in the memory unit. Cute. Or annoying, depending on your viewpoint :)

The memory unit is cleverly designed so it can easily talk to other memory units - just plug them together and you can transfer saved games, or in the case of the downloaded Sonic Adventure II mini-tamagotchi thing, your mini-tamagotchi things (OK, they're called Chao) can talk to each other and , I dunno, have conversations about how annoyng they are being, I guess. Anyway, it just strikes me as clever uses of technology.

Anyway, yes, I'm going to see about getting Linux onto it one day :)

On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New It is cool
just be aware that Sony and Nintendo did more marketing and more support of third party software for their boxes than Sega did. $199AUS must be like $99USD or something because that is what the Dreamcast sells for like over here. If it sells for more than $99USD it usually has an extra game or controller thrown into the works.

Also [link|http://www.bleem.com|Bleem for Dreamcast] will play most of the older Playstation 1 games on the Dreamcast unit. Just get a list of the older games that are supported per CD.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
     Sega Dreamcast - (Meerkat) - (1)
         It is cool - (orion)

You can put makeup on a pig. It's still a pig.
61 ms