IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Help! sawfish window manager problem
When I attempt to start up an X session using GNOME, I get a bunch of messages saying the following.

Desk Guide Alert
GNOME Desktop Guide (Pager)

You are not running a GNOME Compliant Window Manager. GNOME support by the window manager is strongly supported for proper Desk Guide operation.

The window manager is sawfish, according to the GNOME config files.

This started happening a few weeks ago, and our solution in the interim has been either to run GNOME under Enlightenment (slow), or run KDE.

However, I really would like to fix it.

We tried deleting and reinstalling some of the Sawfish RPM's but one has a dependency that would require us to delete and reinstall all the GNOME packages.

Any suggestions? It's not a show stopper, but it really IS a nuisance.
Glen Austin
New Re: Help! sawfish window manager problem
Force the uninstall, as you are going to re-install it right???

A forced uninstall (--force --erase), would just erase the sawfish stuff.

Or you could just do a (--replace-files --force --install) on the sawfish RPM too.

The only other thing you may want to do also is to create a new user(using linuxconf of course), and copy that users GNOME startup files from thier $HOME to your $HOME. I have seen ( and continue to see) GNOME barf on HORKED© $HOME stuff. I currently have a machine with a HORKED© user and am just being lazy by not fixing it.

Later!

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New Config file resets
My usual first (and less drastic) solution is to name a configuration directory ${name}.bak, where ${name} is the current name. Most programs will initialize the config directory from scratch to defaults if it doesn't exist.

You can see what's changed (diff -r ${name} ${name}.bak), and/or copy back configs you somewhat want to keep (eg: bookmarks or keybindings, for browsers and window managers respectively).
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New RPM Nits
"--force" is equivalent to "--replacefiles --replacepkgs".

Also, before whipping it off, you can verify the existing files against what should be there with "--verify".

--force is *usually* a bad idea - however, there are times when it's muchas handy.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
     Help! sawfish window manager problem - (gdaustin) - (3)
         Re: Help! sawfish window manager problem - (folkert) - (2)
             Config file resets - (kmself)
             RPM Nits - (pwhysall)

If she weighs the same as a duck...
86 ms