IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My vegan vehicle?
I've been researching the possibility of moving to a bio-diesel (veggie oil) vehicle, as one of my siblings has one and swears by it. I see lots of positives in terms of making our fuel here versus being dependent on traditional foreign oil reserves (approx. $1 per gallon for self-made bio-diesel or approx. $2-ish for commercial bio-diesel), increased mileage, and the ability to meet or exceed smog regulations.

One can convert an older or newer diesel vehicle for this purpose. And, it appears that vehicle manufacturers will begin to support bio-diesel models formally in the next two years.

Has anyone here gone the bio-diesel route? Any positives or negatives to report?

TIA,
Slugbug
New So...
Are you going to find a local Chinese restaurant to bum your oil from? Apparently it costs them money to dispose of it, so they're willing to give it away for free once they've used it.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Yes...
...many bio-diesel fans already going this route from what I understand.
New It's not a trivial proposition, as I understand it, though..
some use cooking oil without many problems. The new Pumpe Duse turbodiesels from VW may not like it (and apparently VW says using biodiesel will void the warranty).

[link|http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1272011|VWVortex] has some comments. It looks like [link|http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1695|mice] might be a problem....

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who loves his Jetta PD-TDI but hasn't tried biodiesel.)

New Re: My vegan vehicle?
there is an older mercedes here that smells vaguely like french fries when he motors by. He swears by it. It would be worth looking into a local supply of fuel first, then consider the plunge.
regards,
daemon
New Short term niche solution
If this was adopted by many, here's what would happen.
  1. Early successes cause more interest and more people start asking restaurants for oil.

2. "Consolidators" offer restaurants money and corner the market on used fry oil - price rises significantly.

3. Still cheaper so more cars are converted to this fuel.

4. Government sees potential for revenue loss, but since market now belongs to consolidators they can easily slap a tax on 'em. Consolidators fight the taxes in legislatures under the "ecology" banner but lose to budget strapped government and highway interests.

5. To avoid the tax individuals start bidding against the consolidators at individual restaurants further driving up prices. Consolidators buy enough legeslators to pass laws outlawing sale of used cooking oil to entities not paying the motor tax. Individuals and bootleg consolidators are charged and fined or imprisoned.

6. Consolidators bid against each other for used oil from potato chip makers and other food processors who are happy to sell to the highest bidder.

7. With demand still outstripping supply and price still rising, prime oil stocks start being used. This places motor fuel in direct competition with the food supply.

8. Farmers lobby heavily for special "ecology" and "made in USA" tax breaks for food oil as motor fuel keeping it competitive with increasingly expensive and heavily taxed petroleum products.

9. Exxon, in a preemptive move, merges with Cargil. Major financial scandles involving food/fuel oils start appearing in the Wall Stree Jorunal.

10. With so much feed corn going to motor fuel production, feed lots have to pay a much higher price causing huge increases in the cost of beef and pork. Supermarket meat cuts become tougher, less flavorful and extremely pricy. Soy products offer little relief since most soy beans are now used to produce motor fuel.

11. As "Low Carb" businesses retool to promote rice, pasta and potatoes (since most Americans now can't afford meat) the author of "The Power-Carb Diet" makes millions.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New You must be great at chess to see so many moves ahead. :-)
New Chess is more difficult because . .
. . the moves are not inevitable.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New <grin>
     My vegan vehicle? - (slugbug) - (8)
         So... - (admin) - (1)
             Yes... - (slugbug)
         It's not a trivial proposition, as I understand it, though.. - (Another Scott)
         Re: My vegan vehicle? - (daemon)
         Short term niche solution - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             You must be great at chess to see so many moves ahead. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Chess is more difficult because . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             <grin> -NT - (slugbug)

This isn't AOL, despite the best efforts of a nameless few.
82 ms