IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Okay then... another thing
Let us just say you have everything on your machine you want, nothing more. Except it is getting rather slow for your liking.

How would you transfer your setup *COMPLETELY* grabbing every setting and nuance, using your kernel method, to a much newer machine?

Ask Drew how we did his work machine. From a pissy 300MHz machine that was WAY overstrapped, but setup exactly the way he wanted(apache, php, custom sites etc...), to a much nicer and more resource rich 1GHz machine.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
New Re: Okay then... another thing
I'd never "transfer" a system. What is this, DOS?

I'd make a freshie and move my data over.
-drl
New Eaxctly the point I was trying to make.
You make effort to reduce your wheel spinning.

I have the same Installation at home for my XP3200+ as I had for my Pentium 200MMX.

THIS is why you cannot comprehend Debian. "Freshie" isn't really a good idea.

Debian is all about maintaining what you have and bringing it forward to help you get on with much more profitable things to do.

Without "going into installation mode, booting from CD", can you Upgrade your system from one version of SuSE to another? Remember while still providing services? Without restarting the machine? Without really breaking anything? (maybe a few things got changed and have to be manually edited to comply with the new methods)

How about that. Drew never even noticed the change. His passwords worked, the apache setup worked, etc... I'd be willing to bet you couldn't build a freshie and have it backup with ALL services within an hour, not breaking ANYTHING or forgetting something.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
     which distro should I use - (daemon) - (91)
         Debian, duh :-) -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
             No Mandrake Susie? -NT - (daemon) - (2)
                 I used to use Mandrake. - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Ill try both -NT - (daemon)
         128k? Really? Wow. -NT - (drewk) - (5)
             Time for a RAM disk! -NT - (admin)
             K M wtf difference :-) -NT - (daemon)
             He's sorry he doesn't have 768 GB like Joe. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 You have an entirely too comprehensive... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Some things stick in my head, lots and lots doesn't. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Ummm, my standard answer. - (folkert)
         That was a doofus question... - (hnick) - (12)
             Are you saying that Debian is a religion? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 'round here it is... -NT - (hnick)
                 Re: Are you saying that Debian is a religion? - (daemon) - (6)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
                     That's a good summary of the state of proprietary software - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         hmm I thought debian was an operating system :-) -NT - (daemon) - (3)
                             No, it is more than an OS. - (folkert) - (2)
                                 Bullshit -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Okay, another... - (folkert)
                 Yes, I would. I believe it is. - (folkert) - (2)
                     I barf in your fans -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Take a minute - (folkert)
         SuSE - (deSitter) - (21)
             Trevor? thats fsckin out then -NT - (daemon)
             What are you a Troll? (new thread) - (folkert)
             Well, I'll give you partial credit - (folkert) - (8)
                 To infinity and beyond! - (deSitter) - (7)
                     Quaint. But fetid in taste. -NT - (folkert)
                     You know nothing but still mock it? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         never stopped anyone before :-) -NT - (daemon)
                         Debbiean I knew - I don't watch cartoons - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Care to define "success"? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Yes - dollars, pervasiveness, and trust - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Well in the server category... - (ben_tilly)
             You've got a nerve. (new thread) - (pwhysall)
             Actually I agree - (drewk) - (8)
                 Not to mention - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Thanks, my google-fu was lacking -NT - (drewk)
                 Stupidity is boundless -NT - (deSitter)
                 Best Version Ever - (pwhysall)
                 Have you tried buying one of those by name? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     Have you ever tried to buy Woody? - (drewk) - (2)
                         I get offers to buy Woody in my Inbox every day... :/ -NT - (FuManChu)
                         Point: Don't use or complain about the Woody name. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         I'll take a contrarian view - (broomberg) - (44)
             why not recompile the kernel? - (daemon) - (43)
                 Nothing to do with sacrosanct - (broomberg) - (42)
                     Re: Nothing to do with sacrosanct - (daemon) - (2)
                         What the hell is that supposed to mean? - (broomberg) - (1)
                             Re: What the hell is that supposed to mean? - (daemon)
                     absurd - (deSitter) - (38)
                         Ahh, so maybe I get to learn something - (broomberg) - (2)
                             Ok, sorry out of line to say "absurd" - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 You mean that he's the ONLY one? - (ben_tilly)
                         What's the cost-benefit analysis of such an exercise? - (pwhysall) - (34)
                             Re: What's the cost-benefit analysis of such an exercise? - (deSitter) - (33)
                                 Feel free to answer the question. - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                     It's an attitude - (deSitter) - (31)
                                         Answer the question. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         As the duly appointed business "Linux" person - (broomberg) - (29)
                                             Re: As the duly appointed business "Linux" person - (deSitter) - (28)
                                                 Stale libs? - (pwhysall) - (27)
                                                     Be more specific - (deSitter) - (26)
                                                         Scenario: You update using YaST. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                                                             ? SuSE is RPM based - (deSitter) - (24)
                                                                 Answer the question. - (pwhysall)
                                                                 Not what he is asking. - (folkert) - (22)
                                                                     Re: Not what he is asking. - (deSitter) - (21)
                                                                         You are missing the POINT! - (folkert) - (20)
                                                                             So? - (deSitter) - (19)
                                                                                 Unless I'm missing something...... - (n3jja) - (18)
                                                                                     Re: Unless I'm missing something...... - (daemon) - (1)
                                                                                         Did you read - (folkert)
                                                                                     Re: Unless I'm missing something...... - (deSitter) - (15)
                                                                                         Re Re Wind - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                                             Ok, that's nice - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                                 Good luck with that. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                     Can I alter it for RPM? -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                                                         I dunno. Can you? - (pwhysall)
                                                                                         BTW.... - (folkert) - (6)
                                                                                             Always wondered: is the "L" silent as in "folk"? Guessing no -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                                                 As in: - (folkert)
                                                                                             Re: BTW.... - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                                 His so pissy what? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                     HEY!! - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                                                         Yeah, you pasty skinned photon trap! -NT - (deSitter)
                                                                                         Okay then... another thing - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                                             Re: Okay then... another thing - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                                                 Eaxctly the point I was trying to make. - (folkert)

When you're holding the Moon for ransom, you value stability in an application.
208 ms