IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You know nothing but still mock it?
Why should anyone else listen to your opinion?

FYI the "toy story" trivia is one of the first things that people learn about Debian. The reason for it is that an early maintainer was Bruce Perens, who was working at Pixar (which did Toy Story). So he used that for the names. Everyone else liked them, and the theme has been kept up.

Where does the name "Debian" come from? Well the project was started by Debra and Ian Murdock, hence deb-ian.

This kind of whimsical naming is what you have to expect from volunteers.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New never stopped anyone before :-)
New Debbiean I knew - I don't watch cartoons
The personal truth is I don't give a fig about what Linux you run. The sad truth is, OSX has rendered Linux meaningless on the desktop, so the only target left is vendor UNIX, and it will probably fail there as well because of lack of tight software/hardware integration.

Linux will have failed, not because it is inferior, but because many of its supporters are religious loons.
-drl
New Care to define "success"?
It looks to me like it is definitely succeeding by most reasonable measures. Its percentage of total server sales (measured in units or dollars) continues to show double-digit growth. That doesn't count the embedded market (where Linux is huge), the supercomputer market (where Linux dominates some niches) or the desktop market (where Linux is miniscule, but has some success stories).

I don't know if Linux will ever succeed on the desktop. But in the other three it has established itself and hasn't topped out yet.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Yes - dollars, pervasiveness, and trust
At least that works in IT.

Windows has dollars and pervasiveness but no trust.
-drl
New Well in the server category...
Over 20% of money spent on servers are on machines that come installed with Linux. And Linux still shows double-digit growth year on year. By units it does even better. It would be higher still if you counted desktop machines purchased that then had Linux installed and wound up as servers.

So Linux represents real dollars. At that volume it will gain pervasiveness. I don't see signs of a big trust problem with Linux.

What evidence do you have that Linux is about to fail?

Wondering,
Ben
     which distro should I use - (daemon) - (91)
         Debian, duh :-) -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
             No Mandrake Susie? -NT - (daemon) - (2)
                 I used to use Mandrake. - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Ill try both -NT - (daemon)
         128k? Really? Wow. -NT - (drewk) - (5)
             Time for a RAM disk! -NT - (admin)
             K M wtf difference :-) -NT - (daemon)
             He's sorry he doesn't have 768 GB like Joe. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 You have an entirely too comprehensive... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Some things stick in my head, lots and lots doesn't. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Ummm, my standard answer. - (folkert)
         That was a doofus question... - (hnick) - (12)
             Are you saying that Debian is a religion? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 'round here it is... -NT - (hnick)
                 Re: Are you saying that Debian is a religion? - (daemon) - (6)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
                     That's a good summary of the state of proprietary software - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         hmm I thought debian was an operating system :-) -NT - (daemon) - (3)
                             No, it is more than an OS. - (folkert) - (2)
                                 Bullshit -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Okay, another... - (folkert)
                 Yes, I would. I believe it is. - (folkert) - (2)
                     I barf in your fans -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Take a minute - (folkert)
         SuSE - (deSitter) - (21)
             Trevor? thats fsckin out then -NT - (daemon)
             What are you a Troll? (new thread) - (folkert)
             Well, I'll give you partial credit - (folkert) - (8)
                 To infinity and beyond! - (deSitter) - (7)
                     Quaint. But fetid in taste. -NT - (folkert)
                     You know nothing but still mock it? - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         never stopped anyone before :-) -NT - (daemon)
                         Debbiean I knew - I don't watch cartoons - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Care to define "success"? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Yes - dollars, pervasiveness, and trust - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Well in the server category... - (ben_tilly)
             You've got a nerve. (new thread) - (pwhysall)
             Actually I agree - (drewk) - (8)
                 Not to mention - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Thanks, my google-fu was lacking -NT - (drewk)
                 Stupidity is boundless -NT - (deSitter)
                 Best Version Ever - (pwhysall)
                 Have you tried buying one of those by name? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     Have you ever tried to buy Woody? - (drewk) - (2)
                         I get offers to buy Woody in my Inbox every day... :/ -NT - (FuManChu)
                         Point: Don't use or complain about the Woody name. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         I'll take a contrarian view - (broomberg) - (44)
             why not recompile the kernel? - (daemon) - (43)
                 Nothing to do with sacrosanct - (broomberg) - (42)
                     Re: Nothing to do with sacrosanct - (daemon) - (2)
                         What the hell is that supposed to mean? - (broomberg) - (1)
                             Re: What the hell is that supposed to mean? - (daemon)
                     absurd - (deSitter) - (38)
                         Ahh, so maybe I get to learn something - (broomberg) - (2)
                             Ok, sorry out of line to say "absurd" - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 You mean that he's the ONLY one? - (ben_tilly)
                         What's the cost-benefit analysis of such an exercise? - (pwhysall) - (34)
                             Re: What's the cost-benefit analysis of such an exercise? - (deSitter) - (33)
                                 Feel free to answer the question. - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                     It's an attitude - (deSitter) - (31)
                                         Answer the question. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         As the duly appointed business "Linux" person - (broomberg) - (29)
                                             Re: As the duly appointed business "Linux" person - (deSitter) - (28)
                                                 Stale libs? - (pwhysall) - (27)
                                                     Be more specific - (deSitter) - (26)
                                                         Scenario: You update using YaST. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                                                             ? SuSE is RPM based - (deSitter) - (24)
                                                                 Answer the question. - (pwhysall)
                                                                 Not what he is asking. - (folkert) - (22)
                                                                     Re: Not what he is asking. - (deSitter) - (21)
                                                                         You are missing the POINT! - (folkert) - (20)
                                                                             So? - (deSitter) - (19)
                                                                                 Unless I'm missing something...... - (n3jja) - (18)
                                                                                     Re: Unless I'm missing something...... - (daemon) - (1)
                                                                                         Did you read - (folkert)
                                                                                     Re: Unless I'm missing something...... - (deSitter) - (15)
                                                                                         Re Re Wind - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                                             Ok, that's nice - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                                 Good luck with that. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                     Can I alter it for RPM? -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                                                         I dunno. Can you? - (pwhysall)
                                                                                         BTW.... - (folkert) - (6)
                                                                                             Always wondered: is the "L" silent as in "folk"? Guessing no -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                                                 As in: - (folkert)
                                                                                             Re: BTW.... - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                                                 His so pissy what? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                                     HEY!! - (n3jja) - (1)
                                                                                                         Yeah, you pasty skinned photon trap! -NT - (deSitter)
                                                                                         Okay then... another thing - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                                             Re: Okay then... another thing - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                                                 Eaxctly the point I was trying to make. - (folkert)

Yeah! Coterminous!
91 ms