IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No twisting allowed?
I'm wondering if I've been elaborately trolled.

IHBT. IHL. IWHAND.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Not that I saw
The fan had four slots that the four feet clipped into, right over the CPU. The guy at the computer store said it was one of the weirdest fans he'd ever seen. Not only that, but it was hard to get off or on when there wasn't even a CPU under it.

The new fan he put on is so much nicer, and doesn't fasten nearly as weirdly. And I haven't been trolling you, I don't even really understand what that means, truthfully, I've just been telling you what I saw.

Nightowl >8#

Edit: changed clips to slots, because clips isn't really a good description. It was more like a square hole that you pushed the feet down into until it clicked.

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 28, 2004, 01:21:51 PM EDT
New Best you don't poke the animal. ;-)
As you might have noticed, Peter is currently enjoying baiting people.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New I noticed
Gives me practice learning to stay off the hook. ;)

But I still don't get his reference to me as trolling. I thought trolling was when someone jumps in here just to rile people up and makes posts about hot issues.

But hey... in today's language it could mean anything from various forms of online trolling to hiding under a bridge and waiting to eat billy goats. ;)

Nightowl >8#

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
New It means he thought you were winding him up.
The expert trolls can come across 150% sincere and only prior experience with said poster will reveal if it's genuine or a put-on.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Ah, thanks & Sorry Peter, here are the Fan Specs
No I wasn't. It's a genuine fan, that snaps into the motherboard, and is really hard to pull loose, has to come straight up, although you can pull one end up at a time.

Blame it on Pentium, they made it. ;)

Edit: I hunted up the box and old fan, and it says:
Intel Pentium 4 Processors. This Intel Pentium 4 Processor includes a high quality fan heatsink for successful integration. This processor is intended to be professionally installed.

Hmmm wonder if they deliberately made it where it wouldn't be okay if NOT professionally installed. I assume they mean by a licensed hardware technician?

Anyway, the fan is weird, it has little black legs of a sort, that come down almost to the bottom, but not quite. The motherboard, which is a Pentium D845PESV, comes with a Retention Mechanism, which basically looks like a frame around the Processor. (You fasten it to the motherboard). It has a little low square wall or frame, with four little raised end squares with slots in them on each corner, around the CPU. The bottom part of the "frame" is higher than the CPU slot, and the clips go into the little squares or something like that. (Kinda looks like a tower with points on each corner, only they are square points). The upshot of this arrangement, is it completely smothers the CPU, you can't get to it or to the lever to release it, from underneath because of the frame wall, which is about maybe half inch high, (I'm guessing, cause that is still inside the case), and you have to install the fan straight down, one end at a time, and remove it the same way.

The fan itself has numbers all over the top, but I don't know if they would help in identifying it or bringing up a picture, but wait, I found something else. The processor manual refers to it as the: P4 Socket Processor Fan. And it says they also make screw-on types Clip On Types, and Passive Clip-On types. But none of those use the retention mechanism I described above, so we have the P4 one.

I can see where you would be able to twist a screw-on type fan though, however,this isn't what we had. So I'm sorry if Peter thought I was putting him on, I was not.

Anyway, that's all the information I seem to be able to find on the fan.

Edit: Actually, I managed to find a picture of it on the net as well. :)
Here is the fan itself:
[link|http://www.telecommander.com/pics/links/cpu's/intels478fan/intels478fan.htm|http://www.telecomma.../intels478fan.htm]

And this link gives you all sorts of views of both the retention mechanism and the fan itself, (scroll down till you see the images).
[link|http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007989.htm|http://support.intel.../sb/CS-007989.htm]

Nightowl >8#

Edit: corrected the description
Edit: added links and corrected about retention mechanism.
Edit: Forgot to change subject line last night, so I did that today

Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 29, 2004, 01:05:38 AM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 29, 2004, 01:08:45 AM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 29, 2004, 01:17:35 AM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 29, 2004, 01:20:17 AM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 29, 2004, 01:37:50 AM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 29, 2004, 10:39:24 AM EDT
New I Concur. No twisting Allowed
You can't twist off a stock Pentium 4 fan/heatsink assembly. The 4 posted bracket permanently attached to the motherboard fits right up against the sides of the rectangular heat sink.

It can also be a bear to remove after the fact, as I recently found when switching mine to a quieter Zalman model. I nearly had one of my all too frequent Hulk moments.
--
Chris Altmann
New Thank you
I'm so glad someone believes me. :)

Nightowl >8#

Random PC Lockup / Shutdown. - (Meerkat) - (39)
         I think you're right. Sounds thermal to me. -NT - (pwhysall)
         One of my older PCs was like that. - (static)
         The ongoing saga, - (Meerkat) - (34)
             Re: The ongoing saga, - (daemon)
             Re: The ongoing saga, - (Nightowl) - (23)
                 John is a hamfisted buffoon. - (pwhysall) - (22)
                     I saw it too - (Nightowl) - (21)
                         Maybe he was talking about me :) - (Meerkat) - (20)
                             Only if your name is John too. :) - (Nightowl) - (19)
                                 Yep, 'tis. Sorry, forgot it's no longer in my sig. -NT - (Meerkat) - (18)
                                     Ah ok - (Nightowl) - (17)
                                         Programming is no proof of skill. - (pwhysall) - (16)
                                             And I still maintain my argument - (Nightowl) - (15)
                                                 STFUYIIB -NT - (deSitter)
                                                 Fatuous guff. - (pwhysall) - (13)
                                                     I didn't say all - (Nightowl) - (12)
                                                         You didn't read my post. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                             Ditto - (Nightowl) - (10)
                                                                 No, you did not. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                     In our case the fan came straight up. - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                                                         No twisting allowed? - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                             Not that I saw - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                                                 Best you don't poke the animal. ;-) - (static) - (5)
                                                                                     I noticed - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                                                         It means he thought you were winding him up. - (static) - (3)
                                                                                             Ah, thanks & Sorry Peter, here are the Fan Specs - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                                                 I Concur. No twisting Allowed - (altmann) - (1)
                                                                                                     Thank you - (Nightowl)
             It sounds like it's getting too hot. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                 Good find, that thread! - (Meerkat)
                 My Athlon XP 1800 runs at that temp all the time. -NT - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     Addendum - (pwhysall) - (5)
                         Got it. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             Re: Got it. - (deSitter)
                             Just because it can run at 90 C doesn't mean it's normal. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 As noted... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Well the machine is now in my possession... - (Meerkat)
         Does the Asus GeForce4 have a fan? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Yep, checked the vid card fan - (Meerkat)

Little Red Plasma Riding Dot.
75 ms