IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One hour fast?
Changed from PDT - PST - PDT.
Zope obeyed in setup: but, the board thinks it's an hour later than it is.

FWIW.
Knights that go Ni(t) Ni(t)
New Is it on Daylight Savings Time*, perhaps?
*) Fucking idiotic concept -- what you win at one end of the day you only lose at the other; you CAN'T change the number of daylight hours in a day.

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Add to list of popular Black Tulip fantasies.
Yeah.. after Oct 30th *here*: it's Fucking Dark before 5 pm now. Allegedly it was supposed to "help the farmers" during WWII, saving electricity/lights? early in AM (IIRC the starting of this silliness).

As if the FUCKING COWS could be fooled by a watch, or as if farmers were *not* daily mindful that there are seasons !! (a thought which appears to have escaped the air-conditioned Astro-turfed office drones in city hives and asleep on Committees).

Anyway - I exercised the Zope preferences: they worked = changed by an hour. But still an hour (or two) OFF! Someone appears to have reset 'local clock' since yesterday. OK here now.

Ashton
New I reckon Daylight Savings time is tops.
Despite the fact that some people are still quite convinced that it causes their curtains to fade, I reckon DST is tops. Mainly because it's nice to have daylight til 7:30-8pm, giving time (or perhaps more to the point, inclination) to actually do stuff after getting home from work. Like, going for a walk, or whatever.

I did used to work with an ex-dairy-farmer who hated it when he was working on the farm. Waking up the in the dark was one thing, but waking up in the even darker was another. Took the cows a little while to deal with it, too.

John.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Uh... But getting your daylight later, that's when you go...
...OFF daylight "savings" time, isn't it?

So then it's NON-daylight "savings" time that you reckon is "tops", or what?

Or am I just getting totally confused here, with you being on the wrong side of the globe and all?
   Christian R. Conrad
New LRPD: Cococabanana Blaps-It's not just for breakfast anymore
PS - can ya say that 3x, fast?
er.. where's the ac-cent'?

(Stuttering test)
New I can't say it fast even *once* - actually, I can...
...hardly say it at all, without stumbling.

On the -ca-, and again on the first -na-, I think.

What's your suggestion?
   Christian R. Conrad
New Kinda like.. co-co'pa-ba-nan'-ya (as in \ufffd for last n) as in:
I'm Cocopabana\ufffda and I look pretty yucky
But peel that wrapper off me; ya might get lucky
If that's not yer style cause ya ain't too plucky
Ya can just go on back ... to yer Rubber Ducky

\ufffd Chiquita Banana, putting on Heirs

:-\ufffd
New Yah - you've got it upside down.
We've just gone onto daylight savings, here in AU. That puts dawn later an hour when the shift happens, but also dusk, which is what John was particularly taken with. We go back to non-DST when the early morning starts getting a bit too dark again, which is March.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Daylight Savings in the other end of the world
OK, it's just coming up to summer here, so the daylight lasts longer.

In winter, the 'shortest day' is 10 hours or so - from 7am to nearly 5pm, non daylight savings time. (information gained from [link|http://www.auslig.gov.au/cgi-bin/gazmap_sunrise?placename=sydney&placetype=0&state=NSW#loc|here].)

In summer, (pretending we're still on non daylight savings time), the 'longest day' is 14 and a bit hours - from 4:40am til 7:05pm. I guess more people can make use of the evening daylight than the morning. The decision to implement daylight savings in Australia was decided by referendum in 1976. ([link|http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/crd.nsf/pages/time2|A History Of Daylight Savings])

There's stacks more Daylight Savings links available at [link|http://www.dstc.qut.edu.au/DST/marg/daylight.html|this site].

John.
On and on and on and on,
New (For J"M" & WB both) Why DST suxx nearer the poles:
OK, so on both sides of the equator, Daylight "Savings" Time is designed to shift daylight an hour later on the clock in the summer. (Which is why it's called "Summer Time" at least in several Northern European countries; probably some English-speaking ones, too).

And that's all well and good, *if* you happen to live in an old-fashioned agricultural society where lots of manual labour needs to be exerted -- on un-flood-lit fields -- during hay-making and harvest time. Also, it might be useful -- or at least not actively harmful -- in climes closer to the equator (like Streyelya, no?), where the day length doesn't vary as much as elsewhere.

But the nearer you get to the poles, both North and South, the more the day length varies; the longer and shorter are the summer and winter extremes. This means that for a large part of the winter season, ordinary folks' working hours (say, "nine to five", or eight to four which seems to be more common in practice at least in Scandahoovia) give them precious little daylight left after work (in mid-winter, none at all).

And since I couldn't really care much less whether it's dark outside my workplace window until 9:30 in the morning or until 10:30 -- I'm stuck in there, working, regardless -- but I *do* care a little bit whether I get to go home from work in the afternoon, or in what feels like the middle of the night, the time I'd most want Daylight "Savings" Time to be *on* -- is exactly the time when it's been shut *off*!

Also, at least up here in the rather rich and thoroughly industrialized countries under the North Star:
  • the day is pretty long anyway in summer;
  • agriculture is a tiny industry, employing some low single-figure percentage of the population;
  • agriculture, too, is thoroughly mechanized -- the farmers have headlights on their tractors and combine harvesters nowadays.
So Daylight "Savings" Time is lot less necessary in summer, now, than it perhaps once used to be.

Which means, all together, that AFAICS the whole Daylight "Savings" Time system is thoroughly fucked up: It's exactly bass-ackwards from what it oughta be. Daylight is a much more precious resource, to be "saved" for (=shifted to) the time people can actually enjoy it -- i.e, *after* work -- in winter than in summer.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Easy - just shift to the wrong end of the world :)
But seriously, yes, sounds like a strange set-up. More light daylight robbing, than saving.
On and on and on and on,
     One hour fast? - (Ashton) - (11)
         Is it on Daylight Savings Time*, perhaps? -NT - (CRConrad) - (10)
             Add to list of popular Black Tulip fantasies. - (Ashton) - (9)
                 I reckon Daylight Savings time is tops. - (Meerkat) - (8)
                     Uh... But getting your daylight later, that's when you go... - (CRConrad) - (7)
                         LRPD: Cococabanana Blaps-It's not just for breakfast anymore - (Ashton) - (2)
                             I can't say it fast even *once* - actually, I can... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Kinda like.. co-co'pa-ba-nan'-ya (as in \ufffd for last n) as in: - (Ashton)
                         Yah - you've got it upside down. - (static)
                         Daylight Savings in the other end of the world - (Meerkat) - (2)
                             (For J"M" & WB both) Why DST suxx nearer the poles: - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Easy - just shift to the wrong end of the world :) - (Meerkat)

How much more blacker could this album cover get? None more blacker.
95 ms