IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New (Talkin 'bout Kodak or bizness in general, here?)
New I was thinking Kodak in particular,but seems to be a trend
Kodak used to own Interactive Ix386 Unix which they sold to Sun and it subsequently became Solaris. Shortly thereafter there was a bloodbath in the engineering section. They may have kept some mech-e types but as far as I know, they bagged their system level computer guys. Obviously, since cameras now run on microprocessors, they kept some low level geeks, but I don't think that they know/care about the internals of an OS.
As a generality, it looks like most large business is going this route. Wanna bet on the race to the bottom?
New Eastman Kodak is in trouble.
If not in the short term, then in the long term.

The old film-based photography business just can't really support them like it used to. Photography now means digital camera hardware and the leaders are Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax and Olympus. Not Kodak. The pro-photography world knows all this.

Fujifilm is in nearly the same boat, incidentally.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New So is Sun
If Kodak wins it'll be like getting someone to throw an anchor to a drowning victim.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:41:13 PM EDT
New Didn't I just point that out above? :-P
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra
New Fujifilm may be morphing
Not knowing the internal structure of Fuji Co, this may/may not affect Fujifilm, but Fuji has become a major player in digital medical imaging. As that was the largest consumer of photographic film, they may have found a lifeline. Even if they disappear off the store shelves, medical imaging is a rapidly evolving area, so there should be plenty for them to do now and in the future.
New Didn't know that. Interesting.
It does explain why "everyone knows" Kodak is limping but Fujifilm isn't mentioned.

Actually, it looks like Fuji is snuggling up to Nikon and finding holes in the same markets to fit into. Nikon has been in medical imaging for decades, for instance. And Fuji had two digital SLR cameras in the "pro-sumer" range using Nikon bodies (F60 => S1pro, F80 => S2pro) years before Nikon got there with the D100.

Incidentally, Kodak is about to close a film-making plant in Australia. Their plight is hitting mainstream.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Case in point
Olan Mills is the big provider of photo church directories in the USA, and they went digital recently. If a certain technology not only gets into the church (5 years behind the times), but into service providers for the church (10 years), you know its time has come.

Funny how they had new Dell laptops, flat screens for customer previewing, wireless networking between studio and preview rooms, and dot-matrix, pin-fed printers for receipts. Someone ran out of budget. :P
     Kodak sues Sun over aspects of Java - (bluke) - (12)
         Yet another company with a rapidly shrinking... - (folkert) - (11)
             Agreed. - (jb4) - (10)
                 I don't see "writing Java" as a sign of intelligence - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                     But how would >they< know? - (hnick) - (8)
                         (Talkin 'bout Kodak or bizness in general, here?) -NT - (Ashton) - (7)
                             I was thinking Kodak in particular,but seems to be a trend - (hnick) - (6)
                                 Eastman Kodak is in trouble. - (static) - (5)
                                     So is Sun - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                         Didn't I just point that out above? :-P -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                     Fujifilm may be morphing - (scoenye) - (1)
                                         Didn't know that. Interesting. - (static)
                                     Case in point - (FuManChu)

Loopholes and fine print are there for a reason, and it's not to make you happy.
49 ms