IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Massive FUD alert

However, in 2001, the company's corporate Web site, www.valero.com, was created by an outside consulting firm using a proprietary content management system and hosted on a Linux/Apache server. As time went on, the Linux-based Web site became a bigger and bigger headache.

First, the site was extremely difficult to update and maintain for the Windows-trained IT staff. "Everyone maintaining the site was skilled in Microsoft rather than Linux technologies, so no one wanted to work on the site," explains Peter Ray, Senior Manager of Technology Assessment and Development Services for Valero.

"The Linux platform was a lot more work without providing a lot more value," Ray explains. "Even the smallest site changes required IT involvement, because the content management tool was too difficult for marketing people to use. IT had to hand-code everything using Macromedia Dreamweaver or Perl scripts, which was extremely time consuming.

The site also presented serious security vulnerabilities. Both the source code for the site and the back-end data repository (the open source MySQL) resided on a server outside the Valero firewall. "Because we are a Microsoft shop, no one on staff knew how to create a distributed, secure Web model in Linux," Ray says. "A couple of years ago, we experienced a security breach and the destruction of quite a bit of content on our Web server. We could easily have prevented this in a Windows-based environment."

Lastly, the site was difficult to scale because load balancing with Linux was far more difficult to do than it is with the Windows operating system. "Load balancing is built into Windows but is very complex to implement in Linux," says Shane Garza, Technical Analyst at Valero. "More people wanted to post content to the site, but we were running out of computing power and database capacity.

[...]

SOLUTION:

[...]

Catapult encouraged Valero to test Microsoft Content Management Server (MCMS) 2002, part of the Microsoft Windows Server System integrated server software, for the new Web site. Built on Microsoft .NET-connected technology, MCMS is a complete Web content creation, deployment, and maintenance solution that dramatically streamlines the Web publishing process. Valero agreed to give MCMS a try and hired Catapult Systems and Microsoft Consulting Services to design the Valero LP Web site and set up the initial Web page templates.

[link|http://www.catapultsystems.com/clients/casestudies/valero_cms.htm|shill website]

It gets worse, but you get the picture. And I have an interview with them in 1 hour.
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Let us know how the interview goes ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

"The struggle for the emancipation of the working class is not between races or religions. It is one of class against class. Every trace of anti-Semitism, or any form of race hatred cannot assist the oppressed, it can on the contrary only aid the exploiters. Workers of all nationality, religion or creed must stand together against the common enemy: capitalism."
-Ted Grant
New Translation
We cut corners and outsourced development of our website to the lowest bidder, realizing even greater savings by not bothering to train our own staff on how to use or maintain the site. When it stopped working, rather than pay the money to someone who knows how to set up and administer what we'd just bought we decided to pay even more money to have a different consultant come in and redo the whole thing from scratch.

Now, instead of having paid a reasonable amount up front to set up a robust, stable system that doesn't need constant maintenance, we skimped the first time, paid through the nose the second time, and are now putting three Windows administrators' kids through college keeping it all running.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Passed the PHB screening
Now I get to face the dreaded "tech review" Monday afternoon.

Just what I need: to spend the weekend thinking about M$ software and how using it, and only it, will save the world.
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
Expand Edited by lincoln Sept. 10, 2004, 04:05:44 PM EDT
New Re: Passed the PHB screening
Hee hee I get to write Bourne shell EDI scripts :)

Yes it's boring, but it's old sane boring!
-drl
New Key phrases
However, in 2001, the company's corporate Web site, www.valero.com, was created by an outside consulting firm using a proprietary content management system and hosted on a Linux/Apache server.
----
Don't forget to throw in that old scare word "proprietary". Heck, maybe demon possessed would be a little less worrisome. Nope, no spin here.
----
First, the (unix) site was extremely difficult to update and maintain for the Windows-trained IT staff.
---
Hmm, you know, I feel the same way when asked to manage anything Windows. Its extremely difficult to update and maintain for this unix skilled guy. D'ya think maybe a little training might be in order?
---
"Everyone maintaining the site was skilled in Microsoft rather than Linux technologies, so no one wanted to work on the site," explains Peter Ray, Senior Manager of Technology Assessment and Development Services.
---
And Peter didn't see a problem with that? What kind of mis-manager is this Peter Ray. I pronounce him to be a total tool. Perhaps he'd be of more use parking cars out front.
---
Both the source code for the site and the back-end data repository (the open source MySQL) resided on a server outside the Valero firewall. "Because we are a Microsoft shop, no one on staff knew how to create a distributed, secure Web model in Linux,"
---
And apparently a 2 day short course was out of the question. Guess your data just isn't worth much to you Petey.
---
Ray says. "A couple of years ago, we experienced a security breach and the destruction of quite a bit of content on our Web server.
---
Really?!?! With the source code and the database outside the firewall? You don't say. And this surprised you how?
---
Lastly, the site was difficult to scale because load balancing with Linux was far more difficult to do than it is with the Windows operating system.
---
Hmmm, I betcha a short course can be found for that as well. Of course, that would be investing in your people and infrastructure. Mustn't do that.
---
"Load balancing is built into Windows but is very complex to implement in Linux," says Shane Garza, Technical Analyst at Valero. "More people wanted to post content to the site, but we were running out of computing power and database capacity.
---
Yeah, so maybe a little bit of actual capacity management might be called for. Oh, I forgot, all your managers are completely incompetent.

I don't know who said "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance", but these guys are really a brilliant illustration of the truth in that statement.

I have no sympathy for these people. They are pariahs in the industry taking up resources that competent people could use.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:37:44 AM EDT
New Got shot down today
Last week, the phone screen with the PHB went okay, so I got the tech screening yesterday. Handled all of the VB and SQL questions okay. Then the guy tries a few C/C++ questions. My response was "I've never worked in the C language before, so I don't have the knowledge to answer your questions. However, I'm teaching myself C right now, so I'll be fluent in it very soon". He goes, "I didn't see it on your resume, but I thought I'd run it by you just the same".

When it was wrapping up, he said that I had done very well and he'll give his report to his boss.

Today the recruiter calls and says that they're going to pass on me because "On the telephone, I didn't come across that I wanted to be a consultant as much as they expected". WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN??? It was a frigging tech review!!! And, as the recruiter pointed out, it was a one month contract, with only coding skills in VB and SQL Server mentioned. Nothing was in their about being on a client site and, in fact, the tech screener said that I'd work with the team in-house at the contractor's offices.

As much as it may be a blessing that I didn't go there, even for a short time, I would have been getting some income, and that's seriously needed right now.

Only have one other opportunity in the works that hasn't given a final answer yet.
lincoln
New What does that mean?
You retain enough ethics not to lie about expertise.

Sickening, isn't it?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Not at all
since I'm a lousy liar, I don't lie (and I don't play poker). If, in an interview, I can stretch the truth a little or fudge a little bit on the past experience, then I'll do it to get hired and provide for the wife and kiddies. But when a guy can create a "I'll know if he's bullshitting or not" question, I'll answer honestly and say "I don't know". It's hurt me before, but it's better than getting hired and them finding out about it a week or two later, which gives them the perfect excuse to fire your ass immediately.
lincoln
     Massive FUD alert - (lincoln) - (8)
         Let us know how the interview goes ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Translation - (drewk)
         Passed the PHB screening - (lincoln) - (1)
             Re: Passed the PHB screening - (deSitter)
         Key phrases - (tuberculosis)
         Got shot down today - (lincoln) - (2)
             What does that mean? - (imric) - (1)
                 Not at all - (lincoln)

What was that "kneejerk" emoticon again?
185 ms