IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Here is one good reason
Ben;
What does it cost an organization, in man hours, to move a PC from its role as a Windows PC, into its role as a device in a LTS environment? What applications are then run in the LTS posture? Are the users working collaboratively in any of these apps. We're now in the area of hidden costs, including training, updating and maintenance. I've documented my X terminal cost completely, including setup, and guaranteed that the remote users are all working in a real-time environment of collaboration. Tell me about the apps and if there is any sense of multiuser benefit in them. What happens when a PC fails? Who prepares a PC for LTS and how long does it take? There cannot be a presumption that nobody has to do anything, that nobody's time costs anything and that every PC can be made useful in a LTS context without any analysis of its resources & unique hardware makeup.
New That would strongly depend on the organization
I do not work for an organization which feels a need for LTS or any equivalent, so I don't have concrete figures to offer.

If I wanted to implement LTS or equivalent, I'd seriously think about having an automated install and test which you can kick off and leave. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, throw that machine out. Either way, very little human time is spent per machine.

Again, I haven't needed to do this, so I cannot offer direct experience about how well it does or doesn't work.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
     LTSP is very useful. - (static) - (25)
         Re: LTSP is very useful. - (Reporter) - (13)
             LTS and X. - (static) - (12)
                 Re: LTS and X. - (Reporter) - (11)
                     Here is one good reason - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                         In fact, a place I am currently consulting for... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Re: In fact, a place I am currently consulting for... - (Reporter) - (4)
                                 It is both. - (folkert) - (3)
                                     So, to summarize: - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         Correct on all counts. -NT - (static) - (1)
                                             What he said. -NT - (folkert)
                         Re: Here is one good reason - (Reporter) - (1)
                             That would strongly depend on the organization - (ben_tilly)
                         Re: Here is one good reason - (Reporter)
                     X Terminals have gotten a lot cheaper over the last decade. - (static)
         Re: LTSP is very useful. - (Reporter) - (10)
             Ding, Ding, Ding.... - (folkert) - (1)
                 Re: Ding, Ding, Ding.... - (Reporter)
             Re: one computer in a restaurant. - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                 Re: single point of failure - (drewk) - (1)
                     There is also "graceful degradation". :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 Re: one computer in a restaurant. (new thread) - (Reporter)
                 Re: one computer in a restaurant. - (Reporter) - (2)
                     Great! That's got to be a selling point. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Re: Great! That's got to be a selling point. - (Reporter)
                 In other words, one cluster of nodes in a restaurant - (Reporter)

With one hand tied behind my back.
98 ms