IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New CTS hint
One of the symptoms of CTS is numb hands. The little finger is not serviced by the nerves constricted by the carpal tunnel. If your thumb and the three most proximal fingers are pins and needles while the little finger is fine, you're probably looking at CTS. If the little finger is numb as well, get to a neurologist soonest; you've got other problems. Mind, if you let CTS go too long, you still have problems. I figure that I can probably put off getting my wrists slit for a couple more years because I'm doing the exercises and sleeping with the braces, but who knows? The techniques have gotten a lot better since I was in the medical dodge, but being in a hospital on the wrong side of the ID badge is one of the very few things that terrify me...
New Pinky and ring finger, ulnar tunnel
Yup, that's what I got!
Track ball made a HUGE difference.
Mice are evil.

Not just any trackball.
Kensington expert mouse.
I have 5 of them right now, depending on where I am and what computer I'm at.
$90 a piece.
New Kensington Orbit? Ever try it?
Swear BY 'em
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
New Too small
I can tap my Expert Mouse and send the cursor to the other side a a dual monitor, and then slowly guide it to the final tiny spot. Using the correct accelleration options of course.

When using any of the smaller trackballs I can never get the right mix. I have to roll it several times to go any distance. Doesn't have the same "heft" that I like.
New I still want to find an old Missle Command game and scavange
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Mine is the same size
New "the tittie"
I was on the edge of ruining my hand with a mouse. I noticed it playing scales. I now use only a trackpoint, which involves nothing more than isometric index finger stress - no real motion. No problems at all. Even a touchpad is a strain on the hand. I can't say enough good things about trackpoints. Once mastered they also provide extremely fine mouse pointer control. It's like driving a bike - you sort of "think" the pointer to move and it does.

I'll never use a traditional mouse again if I can avoid it.
-drl
New On nipple mice.
I find that they induce extreme cramp in my left hand.

I'm happiest with a huge optical mouse. I've currently got a v1 Intellimouse Explorer which is much better than anything I've had before. I don't get on particularly well with alternative input devices (the fact that most trackballs are sinistromanualist in the extreme doesn't help, and my big paws don't work too well on trackpads) and have come to prefer a wired rodent.

One thing I've noticed this past few years is that mice don't break; instead, they become so unhygienic that one replaces them in order to avoid certain disease.

With this in mind, I have an eye on the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. I shall go and have a play with one, but I think this will be The One.

[Microsoft make nice mice, somewhat less nice keyboards (although I haven't played with the latest crop of wireless ones), reasonable games and good Mac OS X software. Now, if we could only get them to drop this silly "Windows" idea they'd have a product range everyone could agree with.]

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Whenever I use one ...
... I feel like I'm molesting a 14-year-old. And I can never get them to go where I want.

The trackpoint. I can't get the trackpoint to go where I want. You sick bastard.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Re: On nipple mice.
The secret of the nipple mouse is to set it to extreme sensitivity and then tone down your finger push to compensate. Once you get used to this it barely takes any effort to make the pointer go. Also, I turn acceleration off, as a linear motion seems to work better with the eye-finger coordination.
-drl
New Another CTS hint:
As I understand it, most CTS isn't actually CTS. It can actually be caused by tense muscles in the forearm or shoulders pinching or adhering to the median and ulna nerves that service the hand and fingers, or by a pinched nerve in the back. Real CTS is an inflammation of the carpal tunnel itself. Verify this when you have symptoms by poking in these areas until you find a painful spot. Many times I can cause CTS-like symptoms by poking in the same spot. You can also get CTS symptoms from chronic slouching (thoracic outlet syndrome).

When I find a spot like that, I put pressure on the knot with my left thumb, make a fist with my right hand, and rock the fist up and down. This causes the knot to try to slide under my thumb. Note: this is very painful. But if I do this long enough, the knot goes away and so do the symptoms.

Very few "CTS" problems should require surgery (the figure I've heard is 5%), *especially* when it's not actually CTS.

I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice. :-) But, it Works For Me (and others I've clued in).
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Why I am abandoning Lisp learning (again) - (tablizer) - (13)
         You should have gotten a trackball. -NT - (broomberg)
         Google up Ben Wing. - (pwhysall)
         CTS hint - (hnick) - (10)
             Pinky and ring finger, ulnar tunnel - (broomberg) - (4)
                 Kensington Orbit? Ever try it? - (folkert) - (3)
                     Too small - (broomberg) - (2)
                         I still want to find an old Missle Command game and scavange -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                             Mine is the same size -NT - (broomberg)
             "the tittie" - (deSitter) - (3)
                 On nipple mice. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Whenever I use one ... - (drewk)
                     Re: On nipple mice. - (deSitter)
             Another CTS hint: - (admin)

Why not just name him Hitler B. Evil?
58 ms