IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A friend of my isn't pleased with GnuCash...
he said he found something called MoneyDancer?

I'll ask if anyone isn't pleased with GnuCash.
New MoneyDance
[link|http://www.moneydance.com/|[link|http://www.moneydance.com/|http://www.moneydance.com/]]

Addison
New Vance can't dance but he'll steal your money!
Moneydance is not open source, but it is written in Java. I think we need more open source money programs out there. If I knew OOP and OOP language better (C++, Java, etc) I'd make an attempt at writing my own.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New So?
If I knew OOP and OOP language better (C++, Java, etc) I'd make an attempt at writing my own

Who gives a rat's ass what' its written in?

Ok, yeah, somebody would, at some point, but that'll happen regardless.

Start something, if you want it to be open source, someone can help you port it, later.

Why wait til you know C++ or Java ? Write it in whatcha know now.

Addison
New What I know now?
Is mostly Visual BASIC and Active Server Pages. Whoo whoo! 1M "Hello World" programs in VB, and slow as whale snot in January ASP pages. I guess I could write it in either VB or ASP, and keep The King Of The PATATO-People happy? Maybe I can even do a ".NET" port?
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New So^2?
You said you'd like to do it, but you don't know an "acceptable" language.

I'll say "so what?"

Start it. Start with what you know.

If you want to learn something on the way, remember that Linux started out with Linus wanting to learn some things.

SO pick Python. Or Java. Or C, Or C++. Or Smalltalk.

The point is to get started with something - ANYTHING. VB, sure, go for it. Rather than wait for everything to be "ready" to start.

Spaceballs: "Why are you always preparing, just go!"
"Just go!"

Just start. :) Start with whatcha know. Or what you don't know, doesn't matter.

What matters is the start.

Addison
New First thing first
My top priority is getting well, getting to the point that I feel better and no longer worry about "The King Of The PATATO-People". :)

Then I have to fix my Windows 2000 box, figure out what is wrong with the hardware and get it back up and running. Then hit VB 6.0 and start coding. My Windows 98 Workstation is going wonky and suffering IRQ conflicts and DLL-Hell. Time for a RRR?
New Triage is fine.
The feeling better will take a while.

Don't wait for it. The priority you have is correct.

Part of triage is to prioritize, and also to do what you can while other things are being done.

Waiting.. Waiting... Waiting won't help.

Starting this project might.

Get into something to get your mind off your problems, Fix the computers while you're feeling better.

Then start coding. If not on this project, on something else.

Addison
New Just Do It
Doing things will make you feel better.

I'm not going to get into the technical aspects, but after mucking about in VB for a while learning Perl was a delight. You can get some nice results quickly if you just learn a few of the basics and get going. And don't even look at the one-liner write-only wizard code.

Perl will run even if you have a hamster-wheel powered computer and your hamster is sick. And the price is right.

I'm not saying Perl is the ultimate language. I'm just saying coding in Perl makes me feel good. And there are a million open source projects out there that are just a simple little Perl script that you can easily tweak without being a major expert on the language.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New If I get the time I'll do it
I got to resolve my Windows 2000 Server system first, which is really ticking me off.

I'll get the basic data structure the data to be used and have it be a simple program to balance a checkbook and keep track of bills and stuff. That is most of what everyone wants anyway.

Once I get it out of beta, I can look into the open source licensing to use. GPL or BSD? I'll need a way to make some money off of it, but not become the next Bill Gates. Maybe $5 to $10 a license would be good?

Once it goes open source I can make it export and import the data, create reports, etc.
New Make the time.
Once I get it out of beta, I can look into the open source licensing to use. GPL or BSD?

You'll probably want to think about that before hand, but that's when you start getting ready to let people see it.

Don't sweat that, its down the road. Triage. Its not critical that THAT choice be made NOW.

I'll need a way to make some money off of it,

First, start making some time, start writing it, and then worry about that. :)

Triage.

Its like eating an elephant. If you look at the whole elephant, you're staggered at how much. But if you go at it bite by byte (haw haw), you can do it.

Don't worry about the stuff that's not important yet.

Addison
New Go for it, Norm! Here's what to use:
I think we need more open source money programs out there. If I knew OOP and OOP language better (C++, Java, etc) I'd make an attempt at writing my own.
[link|ftp://ftpd.borland.com/download/kylix/openedition/kylix_oe.tar.gz|[link|ftp://ftpd.borland.com/download/kylix/openedition/kylix_oe.tar.gz|ftp://ftpd.borland...ix_oe.tar.gz]] -- it's out! (Finally! :-)

Use it more or less as if it were VB. Show the world and yourself that you aren't as dumb as Bryce:

That *you*, unlike him, *can* handle := for assignments and semi-colons between statements.

My offer of free "consulting" still stands.

So what are you waiting for? Go for it!
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New I will consider it
once I get my Linux box up and running. I'll have to crack open those old Turbo Pascal manuals of mine and do a refresher course in Pascal. :)

I tried that link, and I was told it didn't exist. Either my ISP puked on me, or Borland is having a bad day?

So what I will do, is once I find the time I will write it in VB first (gag) and then port the code to C++, or Pascal/Kylix later. I am usually good at porting code from one language to another, I used to do that a lot in college when I took different language courses but the instructors wanted to solve the same problems. I mean why reinvent a good function in another language from scratch when the analysis and design had already been done in another language?

So far, I haven't started it, but I expect to get into the analysis and design phase before I start coding. Once I finish that, I can start into any language I choose.

Refresh my memory, my medicine has changed a lot recently, what was that offer for free consulting for, to learn Delphi/Kylix?

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New Got Kylix off of Borland.com
But McAfee complained that it had a virus in the TAR file. Boggle! Must be a false positive. Borland sent me the serial key in email, anything I create with the Open Edition has to be GPL from my understanding.

I'm also considering [link|http://www.freepascal.org|Free Pascal] I think someone mentioned a Delphi like IDE named Lazarus for it. Free Pascal can be ported to OS/2, BeOS, and other platforms.

At this point, a VB version would be easiest. Then convert it later to other languages.

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New Yup, that was it. (Goes for most everybody here, too.)
New CR:
You are so brycing bryce. Your code is so bryced it won't even compile. You are such a brycing bryced brycer. Get a life, you bryciferous bryce.

:D
That's her, officer! That's the woman that programmed me for evil!
New Quit merlining, you merlinous merlin!
     Easy season for open source - (brettj) - (17)
         A friend of my isn't pleased with GnuCash... - (Simon_Jester) - (16)
             MoneyDance - (addison) - (15)
                 Vance can't dance but he'll steal your money! - (orion) - (14)
                     So? - (addison) - (7)
                         What I know now? - (orion) - (6)
                             So^2? - (addison) - (5)
                                 First thing first - (orion) - (4)
                                     Triage is fine. - (addison)
                                     Just Do It - (mhuber) - (2)
                                         If I get the time I'll do it - (orion) - (1)
                                             Make the time. - (addison)
                     Go for it, Norm! Here's what to use: - (CRConrad) - (5)
                         I will consider it - (orion) - (2)
                             Got Kylix off of Borland.com - (orion)
                             Yup, that was it. (Goes for most everybody here, too.) -NT - (CRConrad)
                         CR: - (tseliot) - (1)
                             Quit merlining, you merlinous merlin! -NT - (CRConrad)

It so happens I'm half Chinese, half Cajun. There probably isn't an animal that creeps through the forest of swims in the water that's safe from me.
79 ms