IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good news for a change
To break the monotanty of the heated arguments and other things, I'd thought I'd report some good news I found out recently.

With my A in Economics, I bumped my GPA to 3.92 and won an award for having over 3.9 after a year of being in the college program. I am halfway there to a Bachelors in Business Management.

I am gaining a good reputation as a team member from people in my learning teams. The college network has spread news of my sucess to some small businesses in the local area. A few of them law firms, that are impressed that I worked at the larger law firm for 4 and a half years in an IT department that had a 90% turn-a-round and an average of 2 years per IT employee. The larger law firm found out about my college program and heard from the other lawyers about me, and somehow discussed the projects I worked on and the money it saved them. Word is that I was earning too much for my position, and could not be promoted because I only had an associates, and they wanted to put a salary cap on my position, but could not due so while I still worked. So when a law firm wants to get rid of someone, they do things to try to make them quit, so the employee does not collect unemployment. The fact that I stayed on at the firm, even though I was given the despair treatment, shows the other lawyers of a loyalty and ability to work under pressure. Eventually I guess they had no choice but to terminate my employment? Had I a bachelors, I might have been promoted to a higher position. So some of the mystery is solved. I talked to one small law firm, and a partner there talked about an employment or contract after I graduate. I am not sure about that, but I'll keep my options open.

Other small businesses have contacted me for advice, and I am working pro-bono to help them solve problems. One business needs a business plan to raise money from investors and banks to grow the business. I am writing them one in my spare time, while talking to one of their managers to get more details. They are profitable after one year, and have a problem with supply not meeting demand. Another is a resteraunt that has a labor dispute, and I gave the Head Chief and Business Manager some advice on how to settle it with the owner. If things work out, I'll be gaining some reputation as a business consultant.

I learned more about business in one year, than some managers that I worked for knew in their whole life. ;) Yet I still have a lot to learn.

I used the law firm as an example in many of my college papers on problems they had and how to solve them. I earned A's on each paper. I didn't name the law firm by name, nor any manager, but I picked what would be the best solution for everyone, and to raise productivity, morale, and other things. Not sure if it will work in real life, but it may be a reason why some law firms are talking about me.

So I am beginning to think that going back to college was a very good idea, and so was changing careers to business management. There are a lot of businesses out there with problems just waiting to be solved.

These is very powerful ideas and theories to learn.

So I had an idea to offer computer and business consulting with my next small business. I plan my next degree to be a MBA with an emphasis on IT Management.

Now if I can just do something to get my illnesses under control, I could have it made.

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

[link|http://www.xormad.com:4096/district268|I am from District 268].
New This is good news!
I'm glad you're making your way out of the hole you were in. The explanation about your old work-place makes sense, although it's pretty dirty. It also shows what happens when people with a thing about a degree run a business - they have several, so how high an underlings can get depends on how many the underling has. :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New It also explains
the comment one manager made to me that "Programmers are a dime a dozen these days" stating that I could easily be replaced by someone willing to work for less.

Apparently the local big law firms don't downsize, RIF, or layoff, they just try to get employees to quit their jobs. If you quit your job, you look bad, as it looks like disloyalty. If you get fired in under a year, it is a good sign that you failed probation and were a bad employee. Yet if you make it 3 years or more, and are fired, it is a good sign that you either outgrew your job and couldn't advance, earned too much, or they didn't want you earning a pension (which I would have started earning in my 5th year, hence the 4 and a half year cutoff). Laywers are kind of hard to figure out sometimes, they do things differently than other companies for reasons known only to them.

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

New That's great!
Keep up the good work, Norman!

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
New Excellent progress, keep at it. Good Luck
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New That IS good news, Norm
...and I, for one, am glad of it. Let's now see you parlay that into a worthy position....

(In spite of our recent differences, I'm still pulling for you. Remember: "Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner"....)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Happy to see that you're doing so good
Don't give much credit to what lawers say. They were taking advantage of your "loyalty and ability to work under pressure", and they may be buttering you up to do so again. You want cold hard cash, not praise.
--

"...was poorly, lugubrious and intoxicated."

-- Patrick O'Brian, "Master and Commander"
New I do not love, or am motivated by money
but I do see the need to pay bills and save for my retirement, and make sure my son has the funds to further his education, get braces, etc.

I like having job statisfaction and a positive work environment with positive feedback, I look forward to building a small business that provides that for its employees. I am not afraid to share the wealth, or pay for overtime, if it gives my company better, more productive, workers. While money is a good motivator and incentive, so is the satisfaction of doing a good job and being part of a very good team.

If I do deal with lawyers again, it may be more on my terms than their terms. Maybe contract work, and I do the work offsite, and provide them with applications, databases, etc. The smaller law firms are more paranoid with employees having access to their data, they feel they should be doing better things than suing ex-employees for data theft, unlike large law firms that give full access to data and don't care about the time and cost of suing an ex-employee for data theft, because they have the resources to do so. So I would work off their network, on my own network, using my own data, and giving them the finished result. I think I can use an open-sourced license, and create generic programs and do JAD (Joint Application Development) to customize it to their needs and ideas, and then sell them the rights to the modified code, released from my generic version, that becomes their own IP, like CrossOffice was based on WINE. Yet they should note that the generic OSS is my IP, and I am free to sell my services and a different customized version to another law firm. The OSS version will be to give a sample of what I can do, and help out law firms that cannot afford my services, but will have a base to build on, thus gaining my marketshare. No two customized versions will be alike, and they should notice that due to the OSS license, that some code has to be contributed back to the source, yet each new feature I add to the generic version will be given to them via the OSS license, if they want it. The problem would be if they want to deal with an OSS license and on my terms. Just an idea for now, there may be some problems to work out of it as I learn more.

Good news for a change - (orion) - (7)
         This is good news! - (static) - (1)
             It also explains - (orion)
         That's great! - (Nightowl)
         Excellent progress, keep at it. Good Luck -NT - (jbrabeck)
         That IS good news, Norm - (jb4)
         Happy to see that you're doing so good - (Arkadiy) - (1)
             I do not love, or am motivated by money - (orion)

Like a cat on a hot tin roof.
82 ms