IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Merkin Usetowuzzes scored 25 of 25 :(
email from a friend

"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favourite fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I expla! ined. "G randma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of coloured plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across s! omeone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favourite customers were the ones who! gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favourite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bus t a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown C! ola bott le. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something! I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with coloured sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

=====
"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

"delayed incessantly by people whose prevalent qualification was an excess of free-time" Philip Atkinson
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New According to this
I'm so old, I was around when dirt was created. :-)
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New as my buddy put it, I was a roadie for the 3 wise men
"delayed incessantly by people whose prevalent qualification was an excess of free-time" Philip Atkinson
New My wife says I gave Eve the apple
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New 17...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Hah! 15
New I...
remember 18.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New question
7. Party lines

900 numbers advertised by "Candy" and "Suger" at 2:00 AM don't count do they?

Actually, depending on how you count, I've got a couple. Candy cigarettes and candy coke bottles are the only ones from my youth that just don't exist any more. I'm not sure how to count Drive-Ins, because there where actually a couple that remained in buisness around here till the 80's, but where more active as places to hold a flea market then see a movie. I can remember a Mimeograph machine at school, but I don't know if it was ever used. My parents tell me I had some 45s when I was young, and I can remember some of the songs but not the 45s.

Jay
New 45's ( was Re: question)
I still have an extensive collection of 45's and a stereo that still plays them! And somewhere my dad still has some 78's and a stereo that plays those too!

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
New But do YOU still have any 78s
New Nope
But only because I didn't care for them. Mom and dad would have given them to me if I wanted them to, but they were a music I didn't care for.

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
New Yes, I do.
But I don't have the capability to play them anymore. That piece of equipment died.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New 24/25. I don't remember number 8.
I know what they were, but I never saw one on a first run I don't think.
bcnu,
Mikem

If you can read this, you are not the President.
New saw them in the B movie houses
newsreel, short either laurel and hardy or Warner brothers then the flick. 25 cents and if you stayed to clean up after the show a free ticket for next week.
thanx,
bill
New Best Free Ticket I ever heard about.
My dad and my uncle went to see "Gone With the Wind" at a little theater in rural NC. The theater house was right next door to Shufford Mills. The "free ticket" was bring 8 rat tails to the theater house and get in free. No joke!
bcnu,
Mikem

New Remember all, but was trying to forget. :)
Alex

"If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said." -- Alan Greenspan, Federal Reserve chairman
New And now for the "and things are still that way" post...
Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

Many parents still fall in this category.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice.

Check. Many people can't afford soccer practice.

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that.

Less common, and probably more voluntary than not.

We didn't have a car until I was 15.

I know a few people who have to live this way.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line.

Don't know about party lines, but the rest of that rings true for some people.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

Not true today, but 4 more years of Bush, and we might just be back to no more bush.

Anybody feelin' bummed yet? ;)
WANTED: Precognitive Telepath for adventuring Partnership. You know where to apply.
New 24 of 25 because . . .
. . I couldn't figure out what #9 was.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I think many of them are regional.
E.g. NYC and Chicago probably still have old billboards on old buildings with things like "Call Klondike5-1234". And if you were ever an old radio show junkie, you heard things like that.

P.F. Flyers were sneakers. They were around at least until the late 1960s, I think, at least in Georgia. They were similar to Converse, IIRC.

I've heard of all of them, but only had personal experience with many of them. But I think this list has gone around before...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yup; may have been in Oh, Pun. At least a *very* similar one
New In California...
the television ads (Ronco?) had the phone numbers to call for their products as "RIchmond 9-xxxx". Sometimes they'd say "Richmond", later just "RI".
bcnu,
Mikem

New and . . .
. . the girl I was sweet on in high school was a Thornwall 6-3239.
New {sniff}
WTF are You doin with Miss Nancy's home phone # !?

Why that two-timin shameless hussy... and after a l l I did for her!

Oh the ignominy of it all :(
New Can't believe nobody even mentioned
Transylvania6-5000!
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New In Chicago it's "Hudson 3- 2700"
pronounced "Hudson three - two seven hundred" on the TV and radio ads.
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New whoops 24 of 25 then
cause I coulda swore PF Flyer's were a wooden sled with thin red rails and a crude frontal steering system.
thanx,
bill
New Flyers...
Are you thinking of Flexible Flyers? (my favorite sled, growing up)

American Flyers were model trains...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New thats it flexible flyers
New Flexible flyer sled?
New thats the one, neat link
[link|http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:5ZKPkQdH_80J:www.needak.com/ff100y.pdf+flexible+flyers+sled&hl=en|http://64.233.167.10...flyers+sled&hl=en]
last 100 hundred years
thanx,
bill
New That was the Flexible Flyer
[link|http://www.uspto.gov/go/kids/flexflyr.htm|http://www.uspto.gov...kids/flexflyr.htm]
--
Steve
New Yes, I knew it wasn't a sled . . .
. . and in my area everyone wore Keds.
New Sort of cheating...
..as I had PFs as a small tyke...by the time I was being a pain about what shoes >I< wanted we were firmly planted in converse country.

We called them All-Stars. I've come to learn that in Philly they called them "Chucks" because they were officially "Chuck Taylor All Stars".

High top canvas. The coolest.

HOWEVER, while knowing that I had PFs, I don't remember them from my childhood...I was told later in life that I wore them. I know PFs from later life and family members working for BF Goodrich, who invented and sold the PF Flyers.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New They've always been Chucks. Or yer a commyoonist.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New or a hick

New The Great Time Machine of Soviet Union
actually did not throw me back that far... Only 7.
--

"...was poorly, lugubrious and intoxicated."

-- Patrick O'Brian, "Master and Commander"
New 21 of 25
Some of the things weren't actually in use, i.e. washer wringer, but mom had one in the basement anyway.

Nightowl >8#

New Butch Wax?
don't know that one, knew the rest
Our local mall has a chain restaurant Johnny Rockets that has tableside jukeboxes
they even give you some nickels when you sit at a table

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New 50s hair gel or brilliantine
Water soluble these days... back then it was wax. My dad used it.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New That's for a butch/crew hair cut - i.e. hair that stands up.
Alex

"If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said." -- Alan Greenspan, Federal Reserve chairman
New 25 of 25
I remember when calling someone a sex kitten was a compliment.
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New Well, tykes
I owned a '51 Studebaker Commander 'Starlight Coupe' (not new)

And started my 803? 897 cc Morris Minor side-valve once, with the *supplied* engine crank.

Telenews theatre on Powell St. in SF - showed just newsreels.
Blackjack gum - licorice flavor; not my cup of hemlock.

Model airplane engines ran on same physics as today, but no sissy snap-togethers and supplied RC.. so cheap and EZ that the little jaded tad loses interest after 15 minutes and adds it to the discard dumpster behind every house.

My other gramma's house (not weirdo-Gramma) had a two-piece phone = hold receiver in one hand and talk into the 'cone'. No crank, though. Phone # for longest time was (San Mateo) just 5164.

Ice cream wasn't some %huge of gums and fillers (but you can make your own Real-stuff today - with our patented effortness; in fact the peaches are ripe and it's time to hunt down some manufacturing cream)

Still, gotta remember amidst all this bucolia - we also had lynchings, Joe McCarthy and the Loyalty boyz runnin amok; grandpas of the Neoconmen. Some Murican xenophobic stuff never changes - it just merges into a new tin-plate Logo.

Of all that stuff, I miss Radio - I mean, back when there were thoughtful and intelligent people who wrote oftimes original plots. This was how imaginations were developed - you had to supply your own visuals, not just passively veg out on stoopid crap.
(yeah there Was some of that too, bizness bein crass more often than not)

'The Standard Hour' - yep, them [oil] folk! put on a real Live symphony broadcast every Sunday PM, after all those radio shows; Green Hornet (with Kato), Tonto and that White-hat Guy .. all afternoon. On Sat night.. Inner Sanctum, The Shadow -- film noir sans film. Glowing vacuum tubes through semi-translucent plastic Emerson radio cases ... in darkened tyke-bedrooms :-0
Pre-cgi graphics. Precious.

I Who Be

They left out cap-pistols; shooting at anything that moves as a National hobby: Priceless
New Got to agree with the radio bit.
It is a rare event that a TV show comes close to the emotion and involvement of, as you say, "supplying your own visuals" for the radio programs of those days. Of course, some books do that as well.
Alex

New When I was about six or seven ...
My father used to race -- bikes before I was old enough to remember, cars after. When he couldn't score a sponsor, he was a sometime flagman. I spent a lot of Saturday nights in the car on the way to and from one track or another.

610 AM in Philadelphia used to rebroadcast old radio plays Saturday nights at ... midnight? Maybe earlier, but I remember the thrill of knowing I had stayed up past midnight by the fact that I was listening to it.

I don't remember any of the shows in particular, but I always loved story time. I'm sure part of it was the sense that this was a show for grown ups that I was allowed to listen to.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New I remember my Grandma's "stories".
That's what she called them, "My stories". They were 15 minute radio broadcasts of soap operas. I used to sit in her floor and listen to them with her. That 30 minute period was the only time she insisted on absolute silence. Had nearly forgotten about that - thanks.
bcnu,
Mikem

New I miss short wave, dont own one any more
used to listen to the sov english broadcast.
"Mr John of Texas feels that we have a raw deal on (whatever issue) Mr. Setmore Jones on oak street in cincinatti ohio who works at the local coca cola bottling plant thinks we are evil, we have taken a note of that." sheer fun.
thanx,
bill
New 4 I think.
But there's more than a few US-isms there. In an Aussie variant, I'd probably score 9 or so.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New 17/25
When I was a kid Royal Crown Cola was my favourite drink. Mostly because one plastic cap liner in each six pack was token for a free bottle. My parents used to have a hi-fi with a 12 inch woofer in it. That was fun. I used to roller skate, metal wheels and all, in the elementary school yard. Those things were dangerous. Slid all over the place. Not at all like my Rollerblades. The wheels on them stick to almost anything dry. My Uncle Jack took my brothers and cousins to see Grease at a drive-in. That was a strange experience with the six of us trying to see out the front window at the same time. I remember when local calls only needed 4 digits. Now I need 10. sheesh. I used to have a large collection of 45s with some great music. In some places it's still possible to get [link|http://morethanmilk.ca/|home milk delivery]. I don't know what kind of bottles they use though. Anyone remember milk in plastic bags? ugh.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Only missed 2:
Packards and Newsreels before movies. I do remember cartoons before the movies, though....
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

Merkin Usetowuzzes scored 25 of 25 :( - (boxley) - (48)
         According to this - (jbrabeck) - (2)
             as my buddy put it, I was a roadie for the 3 wise men -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 My wife says I gave Eve the apple -NT - (jbrabeck)
         17... -NT - (admin) - (1)
             Hah! 15 -NT - (broomberg)
         I... - (imric)
         question - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
             45's ( was Re: question) - (Nightowl) - (3)
                 But do YOU still have any 78s -NT - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                     Nope - (Nightowl)
                     Yes, I do. - (bepatient)
         24/25. I don't remember number 8. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             saw them in the B movie houses - (boxley) - (1)
                 Best Free Ticket I ever heard about. - (mmoffitt)
         Remember all, but was trying to forget. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         And now for the "and things are still that way" post... - (inthane-chan)
         24 of 25 because . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (17)
             I think many of them are regional. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Yup; may have been in Oh, Pun. At least a *very* similar one -NT - (CRConrad)
             In California... - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                 and . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     {sniff} - (Ashton)
                 Can't believe nobody even mentioned - (Steven A S) - (1)
                     In Chicago it's "Hudson 3- 2700" - (lincoln)
             whoops 24 of 25 then - (boxley) - (9)
                 Flyers... - (imric) - (1)
                     thats it flexible flyers -NT - (boxley)
                 Flexible flyer sled? -NT - (hnick) - (1)
                     thats the one, neat link - (boxley)
                 That was the Flexible Flyer - (Steve Lowe)
                 Yes, I knew it wasn't a sled . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Sort of cheating... - (bepatient) - (2)
                         They've always been Chucks. Or yer a commyoonist. -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                             or a hick -NT - (bepatient)
         The Great Time Machine of Soviet Union - (Arkadiy)
         21 of 25 - (Nightowl)
         Butch Wax? - (andread) - (2)
             50s hair gel or brilliantine - (admin)
             That's for a butch/crew hair cut - i.e. hair that stands up. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         25 of 25 - (Silverlock)
         Well, tykes - (Ashton) - (4)
             Got to agree with the radio bit. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 When I was about six or seven ... - (drewk)
                 I remember my Grandma's "stories". - (mmoffitt)
             I miss short wave, dont own one any more - (boxley)
         4 I think. - (static)
         17/25 - (cforde)
         Only missed 2: - (jb4)

We are the superior beings!
255 ms