IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Similar sort of story, though not so grand.
For a long time, my ISP was [link|http://www.zeta.org.au|Zeta Internet]. I joined before it was makikng enough money for the owner to quit full-time work. It was originally Kralizec Dial-up Unix, had an early UUCP email connection to the Internet and followed the Linux boom. It was arguably Sydney's first ISP - hence the .org.au domain. The owner was on first-name basis with everyone who would frequent his newsgroups. :-)

Zeta was going from strength to strength, but was still limited to Greater Sydney. Eventually, Pacific Internet bought them and a few other small ISPs around Australia, integrating their infrastructure and staff. Nick struck a hard enough bargain that he got to improve Pacific Internet's customer service to be at least as good as Zeta's was.

My dad and my sister still use Zeta. Their email addresses still work etc etc. I left Zeta because I shifted to a permanent connection and my own server. Zeta's price for that included extra services I didn't need so I found someone who was cheaper. But Zeta hasn't gone - the original owner made sure it wasn't going to vanish into a bigger ISP's bowels.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Re: Similar sort of story, WELL WHADDAYA KNOW :-)

In the early 1990s in IBM I worked with a young guy who was into bulletin boards & networks - he had been running a BB since he was 16.

He & I left IBM in approx mid 1990s, his name was Nick Andrew & he founded an ISP service he called Kralizec (he was into cult Japanese monster movies & named all his servers after them - his interest in things Japanese extended to a pretty young Japanese wife). Anyway on good advice Nick renamed his service to Zeta & up until 1999 he was gate-waying my Australian web sites. We even considered joining forces. Nick could have grown his service across the country if he had had good marketing (or is that really aggressive bullshitting pushy salesmen). Nick was just to damned honest & professional.

Then Pacific Internet took over & that was when a lot of people learned what a quality service Nick ran & how dedicated he was. PI now host my Sydney site (since I moved to HK & had to turn in my tcp/ip address block (of 16)). But I only stayed with PI out of loyalty to Nick.

The only good think I can say about PI is that Nick remained to work for them - as said by Wade - to improve their customer service.

My US site is also run by a committed and knowledgeable guy (Wayne) in Maryland (www.web-span.com). It is such a pleasure dealing with real people who have real knowledge. Wayne, just like Nick, has always been a great help & his prices & the performance have always been excellent. Long may he remain independant (if he still is?).

Cheers

Doug

New It's a small world!
I'm amazed. Nick certainly had a damn fine service. I recommended several people to Zeta over the years, complete with spotter's fees. :-)

As to improving PI's customer support: I'd say he's succeeded. My Dad recently called what was left of Zeta to add another email address to his account. The first person he spoke to did it then and there over the 'phone. I'm thinking of going back to them for DSL, but I'm in no hurry. Somewhat surprisingly, the portion of Telstra BigPond Direct that does modem dial-ups is as reliable as Zeta.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

ISPs - Man, what a freak'n zoo - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
         Also started w/ jps.. - (ashton) - (5)
             Not Redmond money - Church of Scientology - (Andrew Grygus)
             Earthlink's founder investigated by SEC for bus. practices. - (Another Scott)
             Perhaps the exception that proves the rule? - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                 Yes, they seem entirely home user oriented. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Just wanted to add some balance -NT - (tjsinclair)
         Me Too - (altmann)
         Similar sort of story, though not so grand. - (static) - (2)
             Re: Similar sort of story, WELL WHADDAYA KNOW :-) - (dmarker2) - (1)
                 It's a small world! - (static)
         The only way. - (Brandioch) - (2)
             Unarguable - time for me to move to vom.com - (Ashton)
             You like drizzle? - (inthane-chan)

Many of the dead have finished being dead without the assistance of medical staff or fancy equipment.
119 ms