IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Corrections
The 3 rings for elves, 7 for dwarves and 9 for mortal men were not made by Sauron. They were made by elves whom Sauron had taught.

Sauron's power is not mostly stolen. He has great power over others, but his power is innate to him. He is, in fact, a Maia who is much reduced in power from what he once had. For instance since being caught in the fall of N\ufffdmenor (which he engineered) he can no longer appear in any fair form.

The Lord of the Rings does not go into detail on what wizards are, but Tolkien did make that clear in the Silmarillion. All that is known about them in the LotR is that they look like men, but age very slowly and have strange powers. In fact they are Maia (think something between a nature spirit and a god - Sauron is a Maia) who were stripped of most of their power and memory then sent out by the Valar (think gods). (Gandalf's real name is Olorin.) The purpose of their being stripped of power and memory is that the Valar have learned that showing themselves in power and majesty has the opposite effect from what they want.

Some of the major themes of the book are the nature of good vs evil, that heroism consists of nothing more than normal people doing what they have to when needed, the nature of power and corruption, and reflections on the inevitable passing of history into myth.

One warning about the series. In Tolkien's day it was customary to write in the passive voice. The series is a rich texture of thoughts, feelings, and events. But it deliberately does not attempt to grip with cliffhangers, and force you to read on. It is easy to put it down anywhere, and pick it up later. Readers who are used to a more active writing style may have trouble finishing for this reason.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New I stand corrected.
My memory of The Silmarillion is clearly faulty. :-)

I did not recall correctly on the creation of the 9, 7 and 3, although I thought the elves said that Sauron had never touched the 3. Fortunately my point remains about magic being innate to elves and not to man or dwarves.

The LotR does not go into detail about the Wizards, true. My comments were limited to the LotR and not The Silmarillion, though I did not make that clear, sorry.

I did know Sauron was one of the Maia. I thought he had co-opted a lot of magical knowledge from the elves - particularly regarding the rings. Obviously I overstated this against his own powers.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

What is the "Lord of the Rings" about? - (deSitter) - (39)
         Step One. - (static) - (6)
             No. - (deSitter) - (5)
                 Oh, really? - (CRConrad)
                 Then I shan't tell you what it's about. :-) -NT - (static)
                 I consider it to be among the best things written - (imric)
                 OK, what is the last 900 pages book - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                     Re: OK, what is the last 900 pages book - (deSitter)
         Money -NT - (drewk)
         Rings. -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Lords -NT - (broomberg) - (2)
                 Profit! -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                     The trilogy is about The Ferengis? :-D -NT - (lincoln)
         Good and Evil, Friendship, Power, stuff like that. - (Another Scott) - (18)
             Attention folks, this is the right answer - (deSitter) - (16)
                 Er... - (admin) - (2)
                     Re: Er... - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Fie on such a '04 Pedestrian desire, even in jest-iculation - (Ashton)
                 No, THIS is the right answer: - (pwhysall)
                 No, it's *not* the right answer. - (static) - (11)
                     Re: No, it's *not* the right answer. - (deSitter) - (10)
                         eh? LOTR is time spent away from drudge (reporting or work) - (boxley) - (4)
                             just never warmed up to this kind of fantasy - (deSitter) - (3)
                                 not so much fantasy as much as the world circa 400 AD - (boxley)
                                 Simple - (bepatient)
                                 Let's let Tolkien defend fantasy in his own words - (ben_tilly)
                         That's what you should have said in the first place. - (static) - (4)
                             What a strange synchronicity - (deSitter)
                             Most pithily summarized. - (Ashton)
                             Corrections - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 I stand corrected. - (static)
             The ravages of war, - (Steven A S)
         either read the dam thing or dont - (boxley) - (1)
             Never saw a machine named that way... - (admin)
         Short people, elves, and whupass. - (admin)
         If you want the short version... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Don't feed smug sloth, you ninny. -NT - (Ashton)
         You want to know what the buzz is about? - (Silverlock) - (2)
             You've been waiting for a chance to use that, haven't you? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Chenyin'-A right I have! -NT - (Silverlock)

The tautological prime conjecture states that the tautological prime conjecture is true.
66 ms