IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New from Xfree 4.3 docs
[link|http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/RELNOTES2.html|http://www.xfree86.o....0/RELNOTES2.html]

2.3. X Server and Extension Updates

Support for the RandR extension has been partially integrated into the XFree86 server, providing support for resizing the root window at run-time.
The Mesa version used for OpenGL\ufffd 1.3 and DRI driver support has been updated to 4.0.4.
The XFree86 server's hot keys (including those for switching modes and virtual terminals) can now be configured via XKB. Previously they were hard coded. An X server configuration option has been added to allow the VT switching hot keys to be disabled.

If you have X >= 4.3 and your video card supports it, you can set up the RandR extension to do rotation at the X server level - a kernel recompile should not be required.
-drl
New Check my second link
xrandr has no support for rotate in 4.4.0.
I've tried it anyway and get an error:
dkime-linux:~$ xrandr -help\nusage: xrandr [options]         \n  where options are:            \n  -display <display> or -d <display>\n  -help                         \n  -o <normal,inverted,left,right,0,1,2,3>\n            or --orientation <normal,inverted,left,right,0,1,2,3>\n  -q        or --query          \n  -s <size>/<width>x<height> or --size <size>/<width>x<height>\n  -r <rate> or --rate <rate>    \n  -v        or --version        \n  -x        (reflect in x)      \n  -y        (reflect in y)      \n  --screen <screen>             \n  --verbose                     \ndkime-linux:~$ xrandr -o 2     \nX Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)\n  Major opcode of failed request:  156 (RANDR)\n  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (RRSetScreenConfig)\n  Serial number of failed request:  12\n  Current serial number in output stream:  12

Just did my daily 'apt-get upgrade' though. Looks like all of X is being upgraded today. Wonder what'll happen.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Re: Check my second link
The extension has to be enabled to work - either in the XF86Config file or as a switch when starting the X server.

You can see which extensions are loaded by using the xdpyinfo command in an Xterm.
-drl
New It is enabled
I even have the applet on my panel, and it works for resolution. Just not for rotation.
===

New xrandr
[link|http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/xrandr.1.html|http://www.xfree86.o...3.0/xrandr.1.html]

4.3 and above.
-drl
New Look again at the link above
Rotation is not supported in 4.4.

I *do* have randr installed.

randr is loading properly.

It does resolution changes without restarting X.

It doesn't do rotation.
===

New Re: Look again at the link above
On my system (4.3) xrandr -o 1 craps out - likely the X server needs to be recompiled.

Put yellow stick notes on the right half of the screen, with the remaining visible part in portrait mode :)
-drl
     Anyone successfully gotten a rotated display under X? - (drewk) - (29)
         from Xfree 4.3 docs - (deSitter) - (6)
             Check my second link - (drewk) - (5)
                 Re: Check my second link - (deSitter) - (4)
                     It is enabled - (drewk) - (3)
                         xrandr - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Look again at the link above - (drewk) - (1)
                                 Re: Look again at the link above - (deSitter)
         You have to change from using the ... - (folkert) - (21)
             Any way to down-grade X sufficiently to do this? - (drewk) - (1)
                 Basically, you get to go back... - (folkert)
             Ugh - (deSitter) - (18)
                 However... - (pwhysall) - (17)
                     true! -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                         And on that note... - (pwhysall)
                     But I *do* care about ... - (drewk) - (14)
                         Especially on an LCD! - (pwhysall)
                         will it matter? - (SpiceWare) - (12)
                             Fwoosh! -NT - (pwhysall)
                             And... - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                 ClearType can do BGR. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     I know. I've got a Dell 1800FP. - (pwhysall)
                                 I've seen the vertical options in Linux - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                                     VBGR/VRGB are for rotated displays :) -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         understood - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                             Ah, nog. -NT - (pwhysall)
                             Ooh, hadn't thought about that - (drewk) - (2)
                                 But you know what? - (drewk)
                                 Look in GNOME Font Preferences - (pwhysall)
                             GREAT FIND - (deSitter)

Might as well recite a poem in Swahili.
151 ms