IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh Peter, God of windows. I invoke thee.
I've been doing some searching for articles on DNS and Active Directory in W2K. Found plenty of good stuff but..... The one thing I've been specifically searching for is a definate answer to the question "Must you use a W2K based DNS service in order to use Active Directory?"

I seem to remember this being the case from my one, long ago, training class on W2K deployment. That class was using a beta version of W2K however, and I have heard from a couple of people that you can keep your existing DNS servers and still use Active Directory.

So how about it? Do you know the answer?

(If you require a burnt offering, I suppose I could spare a fingernail or a lock of my increasingly scarce hair.)
Sigs? Sigs? We don' need no steenken sigs!
New Short answer, no.
You don't have to use a W2K based DNS server for AD to work.

However, it must support a few things:

1. SRV records - see RFC 2052.
2. Dynamic Update Protocol - see RFC 2136.
3. Incremental Zone Transfers - see RFC 1995.

BIND version 8.2 onwards supports all these, IIRC.

Version 9.1.3 certainly does, according to the administrator manual.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New However
If you have your DNS server integrated into Active Directory, it's one less thing to worry about - if your AD database files are properly looked after, so are your DNS files.

Double edged sword, of course - if AD becomes hosed you run the risk of losing DNS services. But then, AD is actually distributed over the domain controllers via replication and this means that it's really quite resilient.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New why not use LDAP instead?
same thing, a dirctory service and auth protocol. If yer PHB's are nervous Oracle now has a shipping version of same that we are looking at now. Open with an oracle front end and of course integegrated. The beauty of it is that both winders and other OSes will use it.
thanx,
bill
can I have my ones and zeros back?
New I don't get to choose
I only get to support it. The decisions flow down from some nameless PHB in England. Hey maybe Peter knows who makes the enterprise decisions for Pearson PLC.
Sigs? Sigs? We don' need no steenken sigs!
     Oh Peter, God of windows. I invoke thee. - (DonRichards) - (4)
         Short answer, no. - (pwhysall) - (1)
             However - (pwhysall)
         why not use LDAP instead? - (boxley) - (1)
             I don't get to choose - (DonRichards)

What?!? They don't trust you with their knobs?!?
71 ms