IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Saudi situation for westerners deteriorating rapidly. Can't

even walk the central streets of Riyadh without taking a risk ...

[link|http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/06/saudi.media.killed/index.html|http://www.cnn.com/2...killed/index.html]

EXTRACT >>>>
BBC crew gunned down in Saudi

Monday, June 7, 2004 Posted: 6:17 AM EDT (1017 GMT)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CNN) -- A freelance cameraman working for the British Broadcasting Corporation has been killed and a correspondent for the network wounded in a drive-by shooting in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, the network says.

The slain cameraman was identified by the BBC as Simon Cumbers, 36.

Correspondent Frank Gardner, 42, described by the BBC as a "leading expert on al Qaeda," was being treated at a Riyadh hospital, the network said.

"Our thoughts are with the families of Simon and Frank tonight," said Richard Sambrook, the BBC's director of news, in a statement posted on its Web site. "We are in touch with them and offering them all the support that we can."

Chris Cramer, president of the International News Safety Institute and managing director of CNN International, said: "Today's deliberate attack on yet more colleagues proves that our profession is in terrible danger from those who prefer to see us dead or injured.
<<<<

About 6 weeks back - was offered an IT job in Saudi. Was very happy to decline it - am convinced we will see the situation for westerners get steadily worse & perhaps a mass exodus (am sure it is already happening). The worrying thing is the number of Arab employees who are attacking & killing the westerners at their places of employment. The main targets are oil company executives but several IT workers have also been killed. The awful bit is when they drag the peoples' bodies around the streets behind their cars.

The anti-US & anti-western feeling is so bad in that region, that I would be reluctant to even work in Dubai. I was quite willing to do so 2 years back & was there talking to some agencies. People were curious but polite. I would be concerned that if Saudi sinks further, then it could spread quickly to adjacent countries such as the Arab Emirates & Dubai.

Doug M

"Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!".

-- Leonardo Da Vinci
New I have a friend who talked about potentially working there
He was going on and on about the money and benefits and how there wasn't any problems there. This was about a year or two ago. But even before all this nonsense I wasn't feeling too comfortable about working there. All the money in the world can't make up for some moron deciding I have to die because I'm a western infidel.

I wonder what the Saudi government is going to do about this. From what I've read they *NEED* foreign workers there and can't afford to have them pack up and split.
lister
New You are spot on ...

About 1/3 of the population are oseas workers - even higher figure in Dubai.

Most are Indian or Asian but a good percent are westerners.

Doug

"Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!".

-- Leonardo Da Vinci
     Saudi situation for westerners deteriorating rapidly. Can't - (dmarker) - (2)
         I have a friend who talked about potentially working there - (lister) - (1)
             You are spot on ... - (dmarker)

NO CARRIER
137 ms