IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not quite...
Over 100 registered yammerers, all of whom show exceptional taste, intelligence, wit and charm.
Guilty, on the first three counts...

But "charm"?!? No fucking WAY, José!!!
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Should I say....
"Ouch, my virgin ears!" -- NOT!

CRC, ya' gots plenty o' charm. Ya' can't fool me....

-slugbug
New A man who knows...
...fucking everything would know how to be charming.

Q.fucking-E.D.!
jb4

(Resistance is not futile...)
New Well, there are.. Top, Bottom, Charmed quarks. But quirks?
quips, quaffs and Quixotic queries?

Queasy.. quickly querulous quandary.

Quack quack
Qantas, Qatar Division
New It disappointed me
when they changed the name of the third quark.

The original three quarks were Up, Down, and Sideways.
Then they figured out there were three more, and named them Top, Bottom, and Charm.

Once they'd come up with Charm, apparently it was decided that "Sideways" didn't fit, so they changed it to "Strange".

I liked "Sideways" better.
Regards,
Ric
New Not Quite
The "strange" quark is involved in hadron reactions which involve "strangeness", the property of hadron reactions that resisted explanation until the quark model was proposed. The quark model was widely accepted precisely because it explained strangeness, i.e. why certain expected hadron reactions did not occur (were "strange").

I liked the actual creator's (George Zweig) name, "aces". He saw the need for a 4th quark (charmed) before anyone else. I guess he would have called the top and bottom quarks "jokers" and flavors "suits". The history of physics has a few massive injustices, and this is one.
New But now they say they didn't find . . .
. . the Higgs boson after all.

(Shouldn't that be spelled "boatswain"?)
[link|www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: But now they say they didn't find . . .
Really? Of course a few of us knew they wouldn't - it's sort of like looking for the Cheshire cat. It's more or less a definition of the vacuum. It's a deus-ex-machina to explain how a - necessarily massless - gauge theory can describe massive things.

Do you have a link?

BTW the "color" theory (chromodynamics, QCD) of the strong interactions is on better theoretical footing than the electro-weak theory where the Higgs boson is needed. In QCD the gauge fields (gluons) are actually massless and spontaneous symmetry breaking is not required. Having said that, you still can't calculate much of anything with it and it has an even more intractable issue, quark confinement (still unproven theoretically).
New Re: Well, there are.. Top, Bottom, Charmed quarks. But quir
Conrad has the quirks covered, for sure.

Forking, charmed, top, buttom, charmed, I'm sure.

And he probably knows the technical terms for each position.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
     ZIWETHEY crosses the Century Mark! - (jb4) - (9)
         Not quite... - (CRConrad) - (8)
             Should I say.... - (slugbug)
             A man who knows... - (jb4) - (6)
                 Well, there are.. Top, Bottom, Charmed quarks. But quirks? - (Ashton) - (5)
                     It disappointed me - (Ric Locke) - (3)
                         Not Quite - (deSitter) - (2)
                             But now they say they didn't find . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Re: But now they say they didn't find . . . - (deSitter)
                     Re: Well, there are.. Top, Bottom, Charmed quarks. But quir - (wharris2)

It doesn’t get tagged as pathological, even if using it means you ignore actual people.
89 ms