IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Actually....
....glad I'm *not* 22 or 24.

An observation....have recently chatted with several 20-somethings at work and around town here. Most seem lazy, very self absorbed, lacking in self-confidence, have low self-esteem, and are not interested in the larger world around them or making a difference. Is my experience with the 20-somethings an anomaly or have others here noted the same thing?

Best,
Slugbug
New Bah! Kids today ... (Nah, no one else has *ever* said that)
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Dang, I'm gettin' old! :-)
New I have noticed that
I've also noticed similar things about most 30-somethings, 40-somethings, and 50-somethings. Most people don't ever really grow up.

I don't entirely know how you were at 22, but I don't think that you fit that description then, either. I'm trying to picture a lazy slugbug with no interest in the world around her..I'm failing. I can't speak to the possible inaccuracies of your self-perception back then, but I can definitely say that to the extent you lacked self-confidence and self-esteem, you were seriously misjudging yourself. As you well know now.

Cheers,
Ben

PS Did I mention, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New I do not think that word means what you think it means
... to the extent you lacked self-confidence and self-esteem, you were seriously misjudging yourself
So she had self-confidence and self-esteem, but just thought that she was insecure and worthless? How does one do that?

[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]
===

New I meant exactly what I said
To lack self-confidence and self-esteem means that you don't think you can accomplish things and think you are worth little to the world.

To be wrong about that would mean that you can accomplish things and are worth a lot to the world around you.

I'll bet that slugbug figured that one out correctly. I'll have to make any compliments aimed your way be somewhat more straightforward. :-P

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New You *did* scroll all the way to the bottom, didn't you?
===

New Of course...
But I generally play a chance for an oblique insult straight. :-P

Cheers,
Ben
New Maybe it's just me....
.....nope, no issues with self-confidence or self-esteem then or now. Just comparing and contrasting on this my b'day.

At 20-something: on my own, day job + business on the side, volunteer work, etc. etc....wanting to take on the world, enjoying life. Oh yes, and building my own computers too :-)

Contrast to recent conversation with 22 yo co-worker who wants to transfer from one company division to another as she is finally moving out from the 'folks' place:

"well, <sigh> I just don't know if they (other division) will take me; I'm not very good at anything."

"can you make a few calls and see if you can get me hired there?"

"can you update my resume and make me look good?"

"can you write me a letter of recommendation?"

When she did not hear back from the other division:

"whatever will I do? <sigh> I'm suppose to move at the end of the month"

To which I replied: have you tried looking at other companies in the area where you'll be moving?

"well, no. how do I do that?"

A quick glance at the area via browser found more than 50 jobs for which she was qualified.

"well, how do I apply?"

D'oh! Maybe I *am* just getting old or maybe the schools have gotten so dumbed down that these kids really don't have a clue. Bah!

My $0.02,
Slugbug
New For all that she did wrong...
she did one thing right. She knew the right person to talk with if she really wanted to do better.

I know that my resume was helped - a lot - by your assistance.

Cheers,
Ben
New different world
but the difference is when you speak with your peers they are just that, I could prolly point out a bunch of 40 somethings with identical characterisitics you ascribe to the youngsters, We just dont associate with them is all.
thanx,
bill
Time for Lord Stanley to get a Tan
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Was more of a "compliment" than anything else.
I have noticed too that even teen-somethings are like that. I am sure Barry would agree, as would Box.

I was just trying to say: WOW you don;t look a day over... 22 or 24...

Well, anyhow, Happy Birthing Day, you obviously came out FEET FIRST, doing a cartwheel and landing firmly on them FEET.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute.
Set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
New Well, thanks!
Still have all the limbs, a few brain cells left, and only a wee bit of the wrinkles. So, all in all, not bad.

-Slugbug
New My two cents....
I think some of this is due to the last 3-4 generations having grown up in prosperous times.

I've seen that the adults who grew up poor at some point in their lives have far more initiative than the spoiled kids of today.

My parents were both children of the Great Depression and put the fear of God into me that it could, and might, happen again. As such, I've probably been much more careful than I would have been had my parents just given me everything I wanted.

So, I have a different work ethic than most people.

We have no idea how good we have it.

Glen Austin
New If by work ethic you mean...
that you believe you are supposed to go to work and actually work at doing your best for the company, give them loyalty, and your all, don't goof off or loaf at work, and be the best employee you can possibly be, I share it.

Nightowl >8#

"AHHHHH! Relatives coming out of the woodwork!!!!!!"
New I think you pegged it...
...same experience here. Depression-era parents; lotsa kids in the house, not a ton of money, but tons of encouragement. We did get the philosophy of being careful from the parental units, but also the push to be entrepreneurial. In hindsight, I'd say this sort of upbringing really shaped the type of work ethic that myself and my siblings share today.

-Slugbug
New Didn't the Entrepeneurial Part
Same deal, depression era parents, very strict. But more cautious than yours. Funny, they were strict with me, then let my younger siblings get away with murder.

I have the desire, but not the guts to go out on my own. ( I own www.dotheplan.com and www.medsched.net, but haven't had the time to do anything with them. )

BTW, we need to chat outside IWeThey because I'm doing a J2EE/Sterling GIS project now at work, and we're starting to get into it now. Just want any advice you might give.

(And I've got some "other opportunities", too.)

gdaustin at comcast dot net

Drop me a line sometime.

Glen
New line dropped
New Reply sent...
Probably too long, but I did wish you happy birthday.

New Unfortunately, no
You've quite accurately described my niece, and to a much greater degree, all of her friends (that we've met, anyway)...
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

Happy birthday, slugbug! Have a better year this time. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (42)
         Boogie, er, Buggie Down! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Here here...happy day Maggs! -NT - (bepatient)
         You are what a precocious: 22 - (folkert) - (21)
             Actually.... - (slugbug) - (19)
                 Bah! Kids today ... (Nah, no one else has *ever* said that) -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                     Dang, I'm gettin' old! :-) -NT - (slugbug)
                 I have noticed that - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                     I do not think that word means what you think it means - (drewk) - (3)
                         I meant exactly what I said - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             You *did* scroll all the way to the bottom, didn't you? -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                 Of course... - (ben_tilly)
                     Maybe it's just me.... - (slugbug) - (1)
                         For all that she did wrong... - (ben_tilly)
                 different world - (boxley)
                 Was more of a "compliment" than anything else. - (folkert) - (1)
                     Well, thanks! - (slugbug)
                 My two cents.... - (gdaustin) - (5)
                     If by work ethic you mean... - (Nightowl)
                     I think you pegged it... - (slugbug) - (3)
                         Didn't the Entrepeneurial Part - (gdaustin) - (2)
                             line dropped -NT - (slugbug) - (1)
                                 Reply sent... - (gdaustin)
                 Unfortunately, no - (jb4)
             Happy Birthday - (cforde)
         Happy Happy! -NT - (imric)
         Mega dittos! -NT - (Silverlock)
         Gemini, cool! -NT - (deSitter)
         Thank you! - (slugbug) - (3)
             Happy bday, dont care which one, just that its yours. -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 <smile> -NT - (slugbug)
             Happy Birthday, hope it's a great day! :) -NT - (Steve Lowe)
         That popping sound... - (jb4) - (3)
             glug, glug, sip, glug, sip.... - (slugbug) - (2)
                 SIP?!? - (jb4) - (1)
                     well, in that case.... - (slugbug)
         Have a great day, Slug bug! - (Nightowl)
         Happy Happy birthday. -NT - (jbrabeck)
         May the {virtual} Bird of Happiness - (Ashton) - (1)
             thank you -NT - (slugbug)
         Happy belated birthday - (orion)
         Belated happy birthday! - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Not to worry.... -NT - (jb4)

Coffee, Johnny?
246 ms