IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: When to torture?
tablizer asserts
I don't think very many agree that our intelligence branch should *never* torture to get information...
Count me among the Not Very Many, then.

And of course, someone will trot out the old "Terrorist X, in custody, has planted a thermonuclear device somewhere in Manhattan, and it'll blow in just one hour unless we sweat 'im..." chestnut. So let's make it a little more interesting. You've rounded up ten suspects, one of whom is Terrorist X and the other nine of whom know nothing about the plot: wrong place, wrong time. Do we torture them too? Did I mention that we don't know T. X's age, gender, race or nationality? OK, a hundred suspects? A thousand? See, you can get as silly as you want to with these hypotheticals.

The best reason for saying "never" is that if you say "sometimes," the special circumstances proliferate and pretty soon, well, hell, it's SOP. Only please to call it—oh, what's that nice Israeli euphemism (I honestly can't bring it to mind, but it sounds so much cleaner than torture, something we know the heroic kibbutzniks who made the desert bloom and who have that very convenient moral blank check with no expiration date from the beastly Hun, would never, never do)—and not "torture"...such an ugly word...

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New any time torture is used the full consequences of the law
should be imposed, torture the 10 if you wish, save the day and get 20 years in the cage for doing so. There should be consequences for such acts, serious and always imposed otherwise as you said, SOP.
thanx,
bill
Time for Lord Stanley to get a Tan
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Torture at Abu Ghraib Followed CIA's Manual - (JayMehaffey) - (13)
         The Neuropsychiatric-LRPD explains, entirely - - (Ashton) - (1)
             I'm an Ashton-quote! :-D \\o/ -NT - (pwhysall)
         From billmon's blog today - (rcareaga)
         When to torture? - (tablizer) - (8)
             The problem with torture... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 This is the truth and it's worst failing. - (Nightowl)
             There is a real dichotomy re this issue - (dmarker) - (2)
                 CIA's policy - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Re: CIA's policy - (JayMehaffey)
             Re: When to torture? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 any time torture is used the full consequences of the law - (boxley)
             Better to say never - (JayMehaffey)
         a couple of notes on a few "standard" techniques - (boxley)

That game with the fifteen numbered balls is the devil's tool!
41 ms