Most of the apps that I write are years in the making, and I do wear most of the hats associated with the software lifecycle. But the larger issue, that I'd take exception to is that software development is not a monolithic industry. Yes, there are many jobs that are mundane, with fill-in-the-blank programmers. Many business don't like being dependent on individuals, so they try to promote mediocrity. In such businesses, software is not seen so much as an asset as it is an expense.

But then, is that really the kind of business we want? Well, certainly if it makes a difference in getting a paycheck. But if one has the luxury of working for (or starting up) a company that values innovation, I'd run with flexibility. I'm not interested in the whether a mediocre programmer can follow. I'm interested in providing unique and compelling software solutions, at a reasonable cost, with reasonable speed, and timely delivery. If I don't deliver on any one of those three aspects, then worrying about the person that comes behind me is purely academic, as the software will have no need to be sustained.