IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not to burst the bubble...
... but not all is golden there either.

When starting a new setup from scratch, the ISO images definitely have their place. They are much easier to recover if something goes awry. A first time Debian incremental installation is feasible when you're on a direct internet connection, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't support PPPoE without a lot of manual intervention. And with a straight ISO image, you also don't have to go hunt for a mirror that stocks the package you're looking for.

In my case, it took 10 (!) hours to download disk 1 over a DSL line. IIRC, it only took 4 hours to grab both Mandrake 8 ISOs. Installing Debian was compounded by something occasionally breaking in the download routine (OK, so I shouldn't have used the Windows installer...), causing it to fail on all subsequent package transfers. Restarts are very slow and take progressively more time. Effectively, I had to babysit it until everything was downloaded.

To add insult to injury, when converting the pseudo image, it claimed something was wrong with one of the included files. After another re-synch failed again with the same error, I found the signature matched anyway...

And of course, all that gives a fairly wrinkled Potato, so the first thing to do is to dowload almost the whole lot again to make things current. I probably will one of these days, but until I find the time and courage, I'll incrementally upgrade my current Frankendrake setup through RPMfind as needed
New Choice
Debian, as with many things Linux, gives you the choice. You can install from ISOs, you can do the pseudo image thing (though I've heard quite a few horror stories from same), or you can install from a base image plus floppies. Point being: there's more than one way to do it. Frankly, more choices sounds better, not worse, to me.

Where I've got a network connection, I far prefer to do the minimal (base/floppies) installation, followed up by an over-the-net update. Even with a slow link, this tends to work well. If needs be, yes, ISOs can be used. They're by no means necessary.

The same can't be said for most other distros, AFAIK.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Not to diss on Debian...
... and you should know me well enough, anyway, but the setup routine itself in Debian needs work. Even booting from a boot CD where everything is local, it was still a messy exercise. And installing from the 'net is too expensive an exercise here, otherwise I might really try it. So much that I admire the apt-get way and other things that sound good about Debian, I'm afraid it's not yet enough to get me to conquer it's installation method. (And besides, it left too much wierdness as an installed product. :-)

I'll have another look when the official v3 or v2.3 CDs come out. Promise. In the meantime, I will survive with the RH CDs that come on a magazine cover.

Wade, who posted this to gently remind Karsten that people do have - in their own minds - good reasons for not trying Debian just yet.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Re: Choice
Even with a slow link, this tends to work well. If needs be, yes, ISOs can be used. They're by no means necessary.

The same can't be said for most other distros, AFAIK.

Look a little farther. :)

Addison
     Qs re linixconf package - (dmarker2) - (19)
         Single-point configuration tool - (kmself) - (18)
             Re: Single-point configuration tool - (addison) - (16)
                 That it most certainly does - (kmself) - (15)
                     Re: Tks guys - got that loud & clear - (dmarker2) - (14)
                         Um, *what* 7.2? - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                             Re: Um, *what* 7.2? - (dmarker2)
                             Re: Um, *what* 7.2? - (addison)
                             Um, what's this downloading ISOs thing all about - (kmself) - (10)
                                 If you don't get your nose down, you'll step in more stinky - (addison) - (5)
                                     Release date - (kmself) - (4)
                                         Re: Release date - (addison) - (3)
                                             Er. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 K5, Galeon, ... - (kmself) - (1)
                                                     I bet when ya get off the John - (boxley)
                                 Not to burst the bubble... - (scoenye) - (3)
                                     Choice - (kmself) - (2)
                                         Not to diss on Debian... - (static)
                                         Re: Choice - (addison)
             Webmin rocks but you still have to know what you're doing. -NT - (tjsinclair)

Let the spreading of TV dinners on the roads begin!
60 ms