IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A quick 'Hooray for Debian' post
I know we're mostly all grizzled young been-ther-done-that Linux folk, but I recently had cause to go 'Oh! Cool!' when setting up Debian on a little Unisys P166 with no optical drive.

What can I say, but, doing a boot-floppies-then-net install is (a) Easy and (b) Clever! I know it's not particularly special or amazing, but I'm still really impressed by the whole 'It Just Works' aspect of it, and of course the fact that so many people actually care enough about what they're doing, to ensure said 'It Just Works' is a reality.

There were only two challeneges during the install.

First - finding 6 x 1.44Mb disks. I've almost completely rid my house of them. (same with floppy drives)

Second - discovering the I/O addr and IRQ of the machine's built-in NE2000. I don't know if this applies to all machines, but here's a tip: Try and get it to boot off the network, and it will happily report the IRQ and I/O setting it's using to try and connect.

After that, the install carried on apace. Well, as fast as a P166 with 16MB RAM can carry on, anyway.

Nearly ran out of disk space (only have a half-gig drive), but then remembered apt-get clean, and all was good.

So the happy ending is I now have a little Squid machine that I can also use to dabble with Postgres/PHP. And it's about the size (height notwithstanding) of an A4 page, so it can keep out of the way and just do its thing. Hurrah.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Well, geez NOW you have done...
Let the cat out of the bag about the new installer...

Gonna have to scrap it and start over... Thanks John!

Now Sarge will be delayed another year or so.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute.
Set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
     A quick 'Hooray for Debian' post - (Meerkat) - (1)
         Well, geez NOW you have done... - (folkert)

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer.
30 ms