IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New what the fsck?
Left wing drivel? Huh? Lets see, how much corporate earnings have you seen in the last little bit. How come airlines want 15 billion dollars and lay off people who dont get shit? Let the Corps make money by all means but as a taxpayer I dont want to support both them and the unemployed. I dont mind feeding the poor, but some company that spends more in toilet paper than my salary over the last ten years doesnt need my tax dollar to keep operating. Let the rich people support their favorite corporations like I support my favorite charity. In 1979 if you had spent 1k dollars on budweiser or spent 1k dollars on lucent shares you still would have some beer left.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New I'm with you on this one, Box.
Billions of dollars to IBM and GM and such for Alternative Minimum Taxes they have paid in the past years is for the birds. These are the companiess that can't stand a loss for a quarter and are laying off people left and right. Bull! Fortunately the Senate will stop that shit.

At least the money going to the unemployed will be spent and plowed back into the economy and not on a joint venture in Malaysia.

Of course, this aspect of the piece I cited is a bit OT.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Very simple
The airlines spent several years bleeding like crazy while fixated on the belief that which ever one of them survived with the biggest network would reap huge profits in the end. Then they lost 4 big expensive planes, saw insurance rates go through the roof, and saw the size of their market shrink drastically for the indefinite future while getting hit with needs for tightened security which will raise expenses.

Lemme see, how does this work?

1. You are already running at a loss.
  2. You take a direct hit to the pocket.
  3. You lose most of your business.
  4. You are going to have to run at more of a loss to encourage people to fly again.
  5. You aquire a ton of shiny new security-related expenses.

Yes. The airlines have a pressing and immediate need for more money. A bunch are going to go under even with it. I don't think that the 15 billion just went to a few deep pockets. I don't see any dissonance between the request and the ongoing problems.

I do think that it was given out stupidly though. Had I been in charge of the federal cash I would have paid for all 4 downed planes in full, told the insurance companies not to raise their rates, paid the airlines for shutting down service for 4 days, and offered the rest of the funds for offsetting newly required security measures.

But I would have stopped the corporate welfare there. Sure, it would be nice if the government had the resources to bail out everyone who is in trouble. But it does not. (Loose fiscal policy in good times means you don't have it when you need it. Well, right now the US needs it, for instance to pay for a step-up in security and the military...)

Of course had that happened you would all be complaining that the airlines got 5 billion or so and yet are closing their doors left, right, and center. But that is how capitalism works. It doesn't matter how noble your aspirations are, if you lose sight of the fact that it is your job to make a profit, you don't deserve to stay in business. And sometimes shit happens to the best of us.

Cheers,
Ben
New Distribution network
For the 2 weeks following the disaster, travel agencies were operating at crisis levels with little or no revenue. That is a thin margin business to begin with.

They need a share of that 15 billion.

How >that< would get distributed is beyond me...there's so many of them.

Most just want guaranteed short term loans to cover short term cash flow.

I'll agree, though, there's alot of money going to places that it should not be going.

Airlines needed the relief...but to think they were being well managed before the crisis is a mistake.

They were spending alot of time and money bitching about airport capacity shortages..when they were running smaller planes more often on rotes that should have had bigger planes less frequently. Who in God's name needs 18 flights a day non stop Philly Chicago. All half full or less (except the rushhour morning and evening flights)

I better stop before I get further into a rant about airline mismanagement.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New The only problem with your distribution model
is its reasonable.
The govt picking up the costs of the planes and attendant lawsuits (they are inevitable) is a taxpayer function. Ground a taxi pay the day charter rates for all craft grounded, supply interest free loans to remodel the business plans. Repeal jetfuel taxes and gateage for 6 months.
All of that makes too much sense.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
     We are all alone - THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN in New York Times - (a6l6e6x) - (16)
         same ol' left-wing drivel - (tablizer) - (15)
             what the fsck? - (boxley) - (4)
                 I'm with you on this one, Box. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Very simple - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Distribution network - (bepatient)
                     The only problem with your distribution model - (boxley)
             Left wing? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 I know it when I see it Skank in NY is a lefty -NT - (boxley)
                 Re: Left wing? - (wharris2)
                 Political left wings are here again? - (marlowe)
                 But remember...if you want something done right... - (tjsinclair)
                 So right. :) - (a6l6e6x)
             Friedman is not really left wing - (gtall) - (3)
                 Good comments, Gerard. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Yer right - (gtall) - (1)
                         Yep, he's been reporting on Middle East for decades. - (a6l6e6x)

Crazy moon-lovers!
50 ms