IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New derth of more applicable examples
How would including issues not addressed by dynamic polymorphism improve the illustration of the implementation of dynamic polymorphism. It would just cloud the issue.

I was only addressing the practicality of the examples, not the demonstration of dynamic polymorphism. My general complaint is a derth of more applicable examples. Shapes, animals, stacks, and device drivers can only take one so far.

However, regarding your rants: if you ever decide to expand that People-Type thought experiment into a real example (real and complete working code), then let me know. I would love to compare.

I haven't requested working code from OO'ers for that. Even a general skeleton would be a start. We can flesh out more later. Working OO code is often too bloated for my tastes anyhow.

BTW, I have not found a satisfactory p/r solution to the "employee types" problem either. It is just that OO is not an improvement.
Expand Edited by tablizer April 21, 2004, 05:49:55 PM EDT
New Re: derth of more applicable examples
TM: I was only addressing the practicality of the examples, not the demonstration of dynamic polymorphism. My general complaint is a derth of more applicable examples. Shapes, animals, stacks, and device drivers can only take one so far.

Well, it is apparent that you think you people-type example has legs. If so, make a real example out of it. Specify some requirements so some code can be written. Shoot, if you don't want to write the p/r code, I'll do it for you.

If not, its time to take down that page because it is obvious that you are merely arguing against a strawman (i.e. OO design that only the inexperienced would propose).

TM: I haven't requested working code from OO'ers for that. [...]

That's misleading. You only ask for sketches ("It can either be real code or pseudo-code." [link|http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/challeng.htm|http://www.geocities...izer/challeng.htm]), but then you critisize the examples for omitting code ("The OOP version has simply put many of the details somewhere else." [link|http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/chal01.htm|http://www.geocities...blizer/chal01.htm]).

That's why I'm only interested in working code. No hand-waving need apply.
--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org [link|http://onestepback.org|http://onestepback.org]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
not tried it." -- Donald Knuth (in a memo to Peter van Emde Boas)
     Perl 6, Apocalypse 12 is out - (ben_tilly) - (47)
         Shapes in Perl 6 - (JimWeirich) - (46)
             Shapes again? aaaaaahhhhh! -NT - (tablizer) - (43)
                 Re: Shapes again? aaaaaahhhhh! - (JimWeirich) - (42)
                     re: aaaaaahhhhh! - (tablizer) - (41)
                         I like the background. :-) - (admin) - (32)
                             regarding formatting - (tablizer) - (31)
                                 Re: regarding formatting - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                     One man's cack is anothers......um - (tablizer) - (6)
                                         Duplicating the formatting stuff... - (admin) - (5)
                                             Re: CSS - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                 You said, "formatting" -NT - (admin) - (3)
                                                     Sorry, I meant in a general sense, not a per-element sense -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                         Then you wanted "templating" instead. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                             You are right. That is a better word for it. -NT - (tablizer)
                                 Re: regarding formatting - (admin) - (7)
                                     goto contest - (tablizer) - (6)
                                         Re: goto contest - (admin) - (5)
                                             I already did an XBase version. (There is also an L version) - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                 I'm not talking about shapes. -NT - (admin) - (3)
                                                     What are you talking about? - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                         Your "peoples" example. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                             People database - (tablizer)
                                 Read for content - (jb4) - (14)
                                     All these years, and still no slamdunk OO evidence - (tablizer) - (13)
                                         How would you know that ?!? "Slam-dunked" X times over... - (CRConrad) - (12)
                                             Psychology, Psychology, Psychology - (tablizer) - (11)
                                                 And what else would you *EXPECT*? - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                     Goto's and OO both share INconsistency - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                         And there is one reader's imagination... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                             Dr. Codd was hallucinating? - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                 Re: Dr. Codd was hallucinating? - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                     Doesn't look like it. - (Another Scott)
                                                                 It was a reference to an earlier post - (ben_tilly)
                                                     But in the immortal words of Ringo: - (jb4) - (3)
                                                         Goto's are a Rorschach test: we see what we hate in it -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                             Go program in DCL, then. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 I think you missed my point -NT - (tablizer)
                         Purpose of Shapes - (JimWeirich) - (7)
                             sniggle :-) working code -NT - (boxley)
                             derth of more applicable examples - (tablizer) - (1)
                                 Re: derth of more applicable examples - (JimWeirich)
                             Your URL is broken - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 Nope. - (admin)
                                 Re: Your URL is broken - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                     Very long URLs have ellipsis inserted in the URL. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
             Corrected version - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Re: Corrected version - (JimWeirich)

Because you should never underestimate the unoriginality of the very stupid.
68 ms