> Hello.
>
> Environment that I administer:
> 840 iSeries
> OS V5R2
> 1 Production and 2 Test partitions
>
> Other:
> Several unix platforms; not much details on OS or hardware.
>
> Situation:
> Currently, ftp requests are allowed to/from iSeries and unix platforms.
> Soon, these "clear text" ftp requests will be "closed" (with network ACL's
> and such).
> The unix users already have access to ssh to encrypt user and password
> info.
>
> Task:
> Use ssh to encrypt iSeries user and password info.
>
> I don't have any experience with the AIX environment (that is currently
> accessible on one of the test partitions) or downloading "freeware" from
> sites like OpenSSH.
>
> Can you help me with this?
>
> Thanks.
> the lady
my reply
First lets look at what ssh does. It runs an encrypted tunnel over IP between a client and a server. If you open an ssh login to a unix box the commands you enter are in clear text on your terminal but cannot be sniffed on in IP network stack. It depends on what you are looking to do. First have a nice long read at [link|http://www.openssh.org/|http://www.openssh.org/] read the FAQ's and Documentation. That will give you a good overview of what and how to use ssh. sftp is ftp over ssh. So you can use a client ssh shell to ftp to the unix boxes. ssh for the iseries is more problematic.
I am going to post your request on the board and hope Imric has time to address it.
thanks,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Looking for _something_
but not finding.

Off the top of my head, run sshd on the PC, and a PC connected to the '400, use ssh to connect between the two?

I'm not really an SSH-head, but that at least sounds like it could work. The 5250 would connect to the local SSH daemon, which would forward the connection (encrypted) to the PC running SSHD connected to the '400 which would accept the connection and forward unencrypted 5250 to the '400. Block any telnet connections from anything but the local (to the '400) SSH server

Might that work?

I'm still looking, but all I've seen so far is lamentation re: the lack of SSH support for the '400.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

Help for a lurker ssh and I series - (boxley) - (1)
         Looking for _something_ - (imric)

And then I went into computers...
59 ms