IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New al Sadr's uprising failed ?. Murder charge looks serious ...

The detailed news in todays Aust newspapers talks about al Sadr and why he was chrged with the murder of Shia leader Abdul Maheed al-Khoei.

The details where being assembled by an Iraqi judge & not western law agencies. The info outlined against al Sadr is blunt and damning.

If these reports are in any way a true refelection of Sadr then he is a murderous bastard who needs to be put down asap. This behaviour is what damns Islamic clerics again and again. Christianity mostly got over this kind of filthy murderous behavior among the clergy, at least 400-600 or so years back.

The evidence suggests to me that Sadr's 'revolt' was his way of trying to prevent a hand-over to people who don't agree with him and his movement and who may want to nail him for al-Khoei's vicious & brutal slaying. It is of interest that a key Iranian negotiator sent to Iraq to try to mediate, got slain in his car in Bhagdad. The Iranians are not pro Sadr & that probably explains that killing !.

THE LINK - Page 1 The Australian (national daily - weekend edition)

[link|http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9302796%255E601,00.html|http://www.theaustra...6%255E601,00.html]

FULL ARTICLE >>

How Iraqi judge cornered Sadr

Journalist of the Year Peter Wilson is the first reporter to obtain a brief charging Moqtada al-Sadr with killing a pro-Western rival
April 17, 2004
THE radical young cleric Moqtada al-Sadr is today holed up in Iraq's sacred city of Najaf, trying to negotiate a face-saving compromise after failing to ignite a general uprising among the nation's Shi'ite Muslim majority.

But Sadr's future does not rest with the clerics and other go-betweens who are hoping to avert a bloody showdown between his 1000-strong militia and the 2500 US troops ringing Najaf.

The fate of Sadr - the angry 30-year-old who last week pledged to destroy the coalition's campaign in Iraq - rests with a legal brief that was carefully compiled over the past year by a provincial Iraqi judge.

It is this brief that led to an arrest warrant being issued for Sadr and some of his supporters, provoking his Mahdi Army to take control of several southern towns last week, raising the deadly possibility of a united insurgency by Shi'ite and Sunni hardliners until more moderate Shi'ite leaders disowned him.

A detailed summary of the case against Sadr, which has been obtained by The Weekend Australian, shows that the prosecuting judge, Raid Juhy, has laid a much wider range of charges against the radical cleric than was previously known.

Prosecutors had announced that Sadr was charged with the murder last year of rival cleric Abdul Majeed al-Khoei, the alleged theft of religious funds from several mosques, and the murder by his guards of an Iraqi family.

But Sadr has also been charged with ordering several other murders, setting up illegal courts and prisons, inciting his followers to violence, and other breaches of the Iraqi penal code.

The barrage of charges and evidence amassed by Juhy, a Najaf-based judge, means that even if Sadr can distance himself from the killing of Khoei, he will still face serious problems in court.

The brief shows that the judge, who is responsible under Iraqi law for overseeing the gathering of evidence, has found eyewitnesses to back the charges that Sadr personally authorised the murder of Khoei, a moderate rival.

According to Colonel Mike Kelly, an Australian army lawyer serving in Baghdad as a legal adviser to the coalition forces, the first that coalition lawyers knew of Juhy's investigation was when they heard last June that he was well advanced with the case.

"He is a very professional forensic sort of lawyer who says he doesn't care about politics, he just wants to ensure nobody is above the law any more in Iraq," Kelly says.

One of the 730-odd Iraqi prosecutors and judges who kept their jobs when the coalition purged about 120 Baath Party members from the legal system, Juhy told coalition lawyers, according to Kelly, he didn't want any help from them "until it was time to arrest Sadr, which would obviously require coalition troops".

Juhy arrived in London last night to interview two survivors of the attack on Khoei last April at the holiest Shi'ite site, the shrine of the sect's founder, Imam Ali, in Najaf. The son of a former grand ayatollah, Khoei had lived in Britain since the first Gulf War and was taken to Iraq by the coalition forces as a voice of moderation and support for the US-led occupation.

On April 10, Khoei and several associates visited the holy shrine to meet the present ayatollah, Ali al-Sistani.

According to the brief, Juhy has found an eyewitness who is willing to testify that Sadr, who saw Khoei as a threat to his ambitions, became aware of Khoei's visit and planned with his associates to kill him.

A second eyewitness says that when Sadr and a group of followers entered the mosque and saw Khoei's group, Sadr's followers said; "Just say the word, master, and we will attack."

The brief says: "Sadr replied, 'Just wait, just wait'."

A funeral procession then came into the mosque, and using this distraction, Sadr called to his followers to attack.

"(The) witness reported that Sadr said, 'By the will of God, attack'."

Sadr then left the mosque and returned to his office, whereupon his followers drew AK-47s from their robes and started firing in the direction of Khoei and his group in the Khaladaria, an area in which the offices of the mosque clerics are located.

Khoei's bodyguard was armed with a pistol and returned fire.

"During the course of the firefight Khoei suffered an injury to his hand, losing a couple of fingers. When the Khoei group ran out of ammunition, Riyadh Nouri, a key Sadr lieutenant, called out on a megaphone for a ceasefire," the brief says.

"He offered Khoei a hearing to defend himself in Sadr's nearby office. Khoei agreed, but as they emerged from the Khaladaria in the mosque, the Sadr mob descended upon them and began beating and stabbing them.

"At the entrance (of the mosque), Haider al-Kaliedar (Khoei's bodyguard) died from the knife attacks. At this point, Khoei and two of his group broke free and ran to the office of Sadr, suffering from many stab wounds and the beatings. Sadr refused to open the door to the office.

"At this point, a merchant from across the street came and collected the three persons, helping them into his shop. There Khoei passed out from his stabbing and gunshot wounds. Two clerics from the Sadr office came into the shop and tested Khoei's pulse.

"They then left and reported to Sadr. The mob gathered outside the shop and Sadr left his office.

"There is a (third) eyewitness who can testify that Sadr gave the direction to take him (Khoei) away and 'Kill him in your own special way'.

"Khoei was dragged from the shop and down the street by his feet, with his head banging on each of the stone steps down to the next street level. He was dragged up that street to about 50 metres from the entrance to the Imam Ali mosque, and there a Sadr follower produced an AK-47 and shot Khoei in the head.

"The other two persons who were left in the shop when Khoei was dragged out escaped to the coalition forces compound in Najaf and subsequently left the country."

It is those two survivors of the fight that the judge has flown to London to interview.

According to Kelly, 12 of Sadr's followers -- the stabbers and shooters -- were arrested soon after the killings, and warrants were issued in August for Sadr and several of his more senior followers.

Attempts to arrest those followers, and the closure of Sadr's newspaper for inciting violence, were met by his call for all Shi'ites to rise against the coalition forces.

When there was no general uprising, Sadr said through intermediaries he was willing to stand trial but only after the coalition hands power over to Iraqis on June 30.

"We have done no deals along those lines," Kelly says. "The only thing we would do is guarantee his safety, a fair trial and the provision of a defence lawyer if he needs one."

Sadr's insistence that he be charged after the June 30 handover carries a particular danger for him.

The coalition authorities last year struck down Iraq's death penalty, meaning he would not risk execution if his case began before June 30, but Iraqi officials are widely expected to restore the death penalty once they regain sovereignty.
<<
New Sadr was supported armed and sent in by Iranians, Rasfenjani
stated in numerous addresses.
thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Have tried for 3 hrs to post a reply but it seems...
that the content of the post can't get past the security filters.

In essesnce I posted about 8 sources of info re the relationship of you-know-who to the government of that country that sits nth east of the country we are posting about.

Cheers Doug

(I tried every trick in the book yo get the post thru but even my wide variety of techniques failed to suceed - my you, this post made it :-)

Just to put this in perspective - for 2 more hrs I have posted elsewhere in IWETHEY but trying to update this post was been rejected at least 12 times. This success was because I mentioned *nothing* political :-) :-)
Expand Edited by dmarker April 18, 2004, 04:51:34 AM EDT
Expand Edited by dmarker April 18, 2004, 05:28:00 AM EDT
New next time email me the post, Ill string it up for ya
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
New Day-2 attempts failing - have zipped it & emailed it to you
It is very frustrating (as it was when this occured back in HK) at having posts blocked like this.

It seems certain words must trigger interception (as I demonstrated several times 1st go round back in 2002).

Also there must be a serious crisis under way in you know where for this to be occuring.

Also, yesterday I tried emailing the post to my self (plain text) but that even failed. This time it is zipped but I am not optimistic it will reach you although the email to you has gone off ok (thus far).

Will be interesting to see if you get it, and if you do if you can post it.

Cheers Doug
(possibly I have a link in the text that is upsetting the censors ??? - there are approx 5 links in all)

#2 sp fix
Expand Edited by dmarker April 18, 2004, 06:55:30 PM EDT
New have checked netscrape and catholic.org
did ya use my work account? william dot oxley at syniverse dot com trouble is they are blocking zips now, rename it foo.snot and send that way. I will look tomorrow.
thanx,
bill
New Not those ? - sent it to
@tsiconnections.com (assume that url is still active ?).
also will resend and will rename the file.
How about if I zip it then rar it ?
R U able to handle rar format ?

Cheers

Doug
Expand Edited by dmarker April 18, 2004, 06:58:09 PM EDT
New nope zip is fine, just rename it to .snot
we changed our DNS to the new company name but tsiconnections might still forward. Will get it tomorrow.
thanx,
bill
New Who is censoring/blocking your mail/posts?
New Foo

Joking aside, it is just me being cranky at how much effort it took to get that lousey post thru.

Of course there are no govt agencies filtering the Internet.

Cheers Doug
New fnord
New :-)
New And don't you ever say otherwise! Or, else! :)
Alex

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. --Mark Twain
New Are u confusing the 'Badr brigades' with 'Sadr's brigands' ?
(Hmmmm - got it thru after all that - scrap the copy I sent you Bill)

Am not convinced Sadr is Iran's boy - the evidence seems to paint a picture of Iranian support for al-Sistani plus al-Hakim and only moderate (among some hardliners in Tehran) support for al-Sadr. (Hope you aren't confusing support for 'Badr brigades' with 'Sadr brigands' :-).
I would agree that some hardliners in Iran may be using al-Sadr to create problems for US, but Iraninan govt already has one pro-Iranina on the IGC and also the loyaly and support of al-Sistani who totally outweighs al-Sadr both in power and religious sincerity. Sistani is the real leader of the Shia. al-Sadr is a firebrand posing as a religious leader and in his determination to gain some influence in Iran, is being willingly used by various factions.
I have assembled some material here but I believe the best is the link at the very bottom (a pdf doc)

Iranian Press criticises media support for al-Sadr
[link|http://www.daneshjoo.org/generalnews/article/publish/printer_5680.shtml|http://www.daneshjoo...rinter_5680.shtml]
EXTRACT >>
The issue is not whether or not America's claims are correct, but that the Americans are less interested in finding out the truth than in finding excuses against Iran. So we cannot remain silent before reckless initiatives now and then, years later, examine and reconsider the record of decision-makers and executors. If our actions in Afghanistan, Bosnia, Lebanon and Palestine have imposed certain unnecessary costs on us, it is not so difficult to make up for them. But Iraq is a case apart. Firstly, we already have experiences which can guide our policymakers. Secondly, on one side of the recent clashes in Iraq is an ambitious young man who has already shown his nature.
He once accused Iran of having a hand in Iraqi unrest, and another time insulted Ayatollah [Ali] Sistani and urged him to leave Iraq merely for being of Iranian origin. The Al-Jazeera network, which soon after the fall of Saddam, worked hard to present Muqtada Sadr as a Shi'a jurisprudent and religious authority, is more than any other medium publicizing his activities. During the American invasion of Iraq, the news network gave full coverage to the extravagant claims of [the Iraqi information minister, Muhammad] Sa'id al-Sahhaf, until minutes before the fall of Baghdad; certain media in Iran regrettably emulated the Al-Jazeera approach, without considering the fact that the satellite network was based in a country that also played host to the American forces attacking Iraq!
Today too, regardless of the chief goals of that network, which include spreading the idea that there are divisions among Iraq's senior Shi'a jurisprudents, and that Muqtada Sadr is equal in rank to such sources [of emulation] as Ayatollah Sistani, some of the media in our country are presenting the activities of Sadr's followers as the widspread resistance of the Iraqi people.
Clearly no friend of liberty would defend the occupation, but it is one thing to oppose occupation and another to take sides in a fight where none of the potential winners are favourably inclined toward Iran!
<<

This article seems to be the most balanced re Iranian 'support' for al-Sadr. Speaks of multiple factions in Iran who have different agendas. Iran's moderates support al-Sistani and al-Hakim. Some harline factions have been egging a--Sadr on.
[link|http://www.ocnus.net/artman/publish/article_11282.shtml|http://www.ocnus.net...ticle_11282.shtml]

REPORT >>
Rafsanjani Lets Cat Out Of The Bag
By Jalal Ghazi and Sandip Roy,Pacific News Service 9/4/04
Apr 10, 2004, 09:34

When Iran's influential former president, Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani recently hailed the Shi'ite Muslim militia of wanted Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr as "heroic," he might have been signaling that Iran is finally coming out from behind the scenes in the confrontation between the U.S. and al-Sadr that has left dozens dead.
The U.S.-led coalition has said the main reason it has issued an arrest warrant for al-Sadr is because he is wanted for the murder of another Shi'ite cleric, al-Khoei in the holy city of Najaf last year. But that line has few takers in Iraq. A survey of Arab television reveals a deep-seated suspicion about the real motives behind the arrest warrant. Ordinary Iraqis quoted on television wonder why the warrant came from Baghdad and not Najaf where the murder actually took place. And they point out that the murder happened last year. So why issue an arrest warrant for that now?
The answer might lie in Tehran which has huge influence on the Shi'ites in Iraq. The Shi'ites in Iran are not unified. They can be divided into two groups - the moderates and hardliners. The moderates who want to work with the United States are led by Abdel-Aziz al-Hakim who is a member of the Iraqi Governing Council. The hardliners, led by the likes of Muqtada al-Sadr, are opposed to the coalition forces and make no secret about wanting the Americans to leave Iraq.
This split mirrors in many ways the tension between reformists and conservatives in Iran as well. But in the recent elections in Iran, the reformists led by President Khatami were outmaneuvered and defeated by the conservatives who ally with Supreme Leader Khamenei. Though the means were dubious since many reformist candidates were banned from running, the end result has been a strengthening of the conservatives' power in Iran. Now they are able to come out more openly in support of al-Sadr. Previously when they had invited al-Sadr to Iran, President Khatami had refused to meet him though he had met with the moderate al-Hakim.
The hardliners have always supported al-Sadr because they agree ideologically. Both distrust the United States and do not wish to enter into deals with the Americans. They also would like the U.S. to be stuck in the Iraqi quagmire so as to make sure that it does not put Iran on its hit list next.
What has been worrying the U.S. lately is that the increased Iranian support to the Shi'ites led by al-Sadr could actually lead to transnational Shi'ite alliance hostile to Washington. The militant group Hizbollah in Southern Lebanon has already thrown its support behind al-Sadr, who responded by saying he would be their "striking hand in Iraq." The U.S. has been watching these developments in alarm because they did not go into Iraq to create Iran Number 2.
Paul Bremer, the Coalition Provisional Authority administrator, probably hoped that by taking on Muqtada al-Sadr, he could nip this alliance in the bud, send a strong message to Tehran and empower the moderate Shi'tes like the ones on the governing council. By issuing an arrest warrant he is hoping to force Shi'ites in Iraq to make a choice. But the choice may not be so easy to make. Iraq's Grand Ayatollah al-Sistani is the figure many Iraqi Shi'ites are looking to for direction. There has historically been bad blood between al-Sistani and al-Sadr's father who was assassinated by Saddam Hussein's regime. But al-Sadr has already declared his own allegiance to al-Sistani who will not want to come out openly against al-Sadr, Iran and Hizbollah. So he has been issuing ambiguous statements that call for calm but also criticize the American forces.
While the final outcome might still depend on al-Sistani, the increasing confrontation between the U.S. and al-Sadr's Imam Mehdi army shows Bremer may have underestimated al-Sadr as no more than a young firebrand with limited support. The danger in igniting this confrontation is that it raises the possibility of Iraq's majority Shi'ites reaching out to the Sunnis who have already been fighting the coalition forces in places like Fallujah. There are already signs that this is happening as residents of dominantly Sunni Fallujah tell al Alam television, an Arabic news channel out of Tehran, that they view al-Sadr as a political hero that the U.S. is trying to silence him by shutting down al Hawza newspaper which supported him.
But the biggest danger is that the turmoil will allow hardliners in Iran to openly take up a prominent position in the unfolding drama. If it declares its full support to al-Sadr, it could be the key that would help him come out on top of the struggle between the conservatives and the moderates
<<

[link|http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/headline/world/2507926|http://www.chron.com...ine/world/2507926]
EXCERPT >>
The United States gave tacit approval to the Iranian envoy's visit to Iraq, a State Department official said on condition of anonymity.
Sadeghi was in Najaf today after meeting with current Governing Council president Massoud Barzani the night before and offering to help mediate in the standoff with al-Sadr.
The U.S. nod to the Iranian intervention reflected the complex relationship Tehran and Washington have had over Iraq. The United States and Iran are bitter enemies, and U.S. officials frequently accuse Iran of allowing militants to cross from its territory into Iraq.
But Iran has enormous influence in mostly Shiite southern Iraq and shares Washington's interest in keeping it peaceful. The U.S.-led political process, which could be derailed by any large outbreak of violence, will likely end with a Shiite-led government friendly to Tehran.
Iran has endorsed the U.S.-picked Governing Council -- which has some close Iranian allies among its members -- and has not tried to stir up Iraqi Shiites against the U.S.-led occupation.
Tehran and Washington have been holding behind-the-scenes communication on how to restore order in Iraq, Iran's Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi said Wednesday, though he said they have been "going nowhere."
Both countries also want to avoid a U.S. attack on Najaf, site of the holiest Shiite site -- the Imam Ali Shrine, only yards away from the office where al-Sadr is located, surrounded by armed gunmen.
<<

Iran's most significant concern at the moment is any attack on the holy cities ..
[link|http://www.juancole.com/2004_04_01_juancole_archive.html|http://www.juancole....cole_archive.html]

EXTRACT >>
Najaf Crisis and International Implications
Iran: US Will Pay a 'Heavy Price'

Iran warned the American government that it would "pay a heavy price" if its forces attacked the cities of Najaf and Karbala. Ayatollah Muhammad Taskhiri, the representative of Supreme Jurisprudent Ali Khamenei, told al-Hayat, "The American forces will have committed the biggest act of stupidity in their entire lives if they took this vile step."
In Riyadh, Abdul Rahman al-Atiyah, the secretary general of the Gulf Cooperation Council, blamed the occupation authorities for the current events, including the deterioration of the security situation. He called on the Coalition forces to cooperate with all political forces in Iraq in seeking an end to the downward spiral. He said it was unlikely that any Gulf countries would provide peacekeeping troops in Iraq.
Meanwhile, the British military is extremely concerned about the possibility of a general Shiite uprising in Basra, according to the Telegraph:
' the commander of British troops in southern Iraq, Brig Nick Carter, admitted that he would be powerless to prevent the overthrow of Coalition forces if the Shia majority in Basra rose up in rebellion. Brig Carter, of the 20 Armoured Brigade, who has been in Iraq for four months, said British forces would stay in Basra with the consent of local Shia leaders, or not at all. Last month, 14 British soldiers were injured in Basra, at least three seriously, when they came under attack from demonstrators armed with petrol bombs, rocks and a grenade. "A crowd of 150,000 people at the gates of this barracks would be the end of this, as far as I'm concerned," Brig Carter said. "There would be absolutely nothing I could do about that . . ." During an interview in Basra last week Brig Carter acknowledged that the Coalition's presence in southern Iraq was entirely dependent on the goodwill of the local Shia Muslim leader, Sayid Ali al-Safi al-Musawi. He represents Ayatollah Sistani, Iraq's leading Shia cleric. "The moment that Sayid Ali says, 'We don't want the Coalition here', we might as well go home," Brig Carter said. '
<<

There is no doubt that Iran wields great influence over events in Iraq but the evidence clearly paints a picture of a struggle between moderate Iranian elements (govt) & some hardliners opposed to th current 'moderate' govt.

Another excellent article that covers all views & angles but leans toward Iran not liking Sadr is here
[link|http://www.fpif.org/pdf/gac/0404neoconsadr.pdf|http://www.fpif.org/...404neoconsadr.pdf]

Doug Marker
New got yer post, columns 800 characters wide might be yer prob
New that only happened in attempts to shufle the post

the original format was as all the other posts I do. Also the item finally posted was the exact same one I zipped & sent to you (I merely cut & pasted it into the post area).

Also remember that I tried adding it in pices as an update to the cooment post I was able to get thru.

Also remember that I couldn't even email it to myself at the time it was not getting thru.

Also, I went thru 6 months of this in 2002 up until departing HK.

I am in little doubt as to posts being intercepted if they contain phrases of interest to security agency.
New Which security agency?
Or have you joined the aluminum foil hat society?
New Chinese, he prolly uses the same pipes
and they are picky bassars
thanx,.
bill
New Having done internet from ...

China, HK & United Arab Emirates in the past 2 years, ya gotta believe that some govts are very interested in what travels over the Internet :-)

While was in HK in 2002 there was a press article in SCMP about how Sun & Oracle had secured a large multi million dollar contract to supply the Chinese govt with web filtering software to be used for security purposes by govt security agencies. It was no secret.

The article talked about how these companies were leaders in the field & had been supplying US govt agencies with similar technology.

In the current world environment, if US security agencies weren't doing Internet monitoring & doing so particularly at peak crisis times, such as the past week, I would be complaining to the govt about lack of protection from people out to do harm.

Anyway, the up side of any belief that security agencies are snooping is that
they are best placed to mop up any problems, preferably before they happen.

Cheers

Doug M

al Sadr's uprising failed ?. Murder charge looks serious ... - (dmarker) - (18)
         Sadr was supported armed and sent in by Iranians, Rasfenjani - (boxley) - (17)
             Have tried for 3 hrs to post a reply but it seems... - (dmarker) - (10)
                 next time email me the post, Ill string it up for ya -NT - (boxley) - (9)
                     Day-2 attempts failing - have zipped it & emailed it to you - (dmarker) - (8)
                         have checked netscrape and catholic.org - (boxley) - (2)
                             Not those ? - sent it to - (dmarker) - (1)
                                 nope zip is fine, just rename it to .snot - (boxley)
                         Who is censoring/blocking your mail/posts? -NT - (hnick) - (4)
                             Foo - (dmarker) - (3)
                                 fnord -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     :-) -NT - (dmarker)
                                 And don't you ever say otherwise! Or, else! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Are u confusing the 'Badr brigades' with 'Sadr's brigands' ? - (dmarker) - (5)
                 got yer post, columns 800 characters wide might be yer prob -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                     that only happened in attempts to shufle the post - (dmarker) - (3)
                         Which security agency? - (hnick) - (2)
                             Chinese, he prolly uses the same pipes - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Having done internet from ... - (dmarker)

Ah yes, "Lambicus cetafermentum", otherwise known as the Greater Belgian Whale.
87 ms